Transcript 10/23/2007 Llew Rao

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/23/2007 Llew Rao

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:06 pm

Llew Rao
Cleveland, OH
Resident physician

Played bar trivia between tapings but "got smoked"

$2000- Nineteenth-century congressman Joel R. Poinsett is well known for lending his name to a type of what?
A. Gem B. Insect
C. Plant D. Fish

$4000- In 2007, what classic TV series inspired a line of southern comfort foods dubbed "Mayberry's Finest"?
A. The Andy Griffith Show B. Green Acres
C. Petticoat Junction D. The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis

$8000- The iconic phrase "The Eagle has landed" is forever linked to what historic event?
A. D-Day invasion B. Battle of Gettysburg
C. Fall of the Berlin Wall D. First moon landing

"I use this phrase but I'm not exactly sure why"

ATA: 9%-0-0-91% in favor of D.

He says he was thinking A so it was a good thing he ATA.

$16,000
Which of these island groups derives its name from the Spanish word for "tortoise"?
A. Galapagos B. Azores
C. Maldives D. Balearic

$25,000
In 2006, what tech company established a free WiFi network for its hometown of Mountain View, California?
A. Microsoft B. Google
C. Yahoo D. AOL

PAF, Keith, a friend from Chicago, is pretty sure it is Google but not positive. Then says 90% sure, and asks "Mountain View CA?" as time runs out. (Llew had opened by simply asked what company was from Mountain View CA then mentioned the wifi)

Commercial break

With the money Llew will apply it towards $10K of job-related expenses and car expenses (check engine light has been on for two months) and getting some stuff for his folks.

$50,000
Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring," famous for sparking a riot in Paris in 1913, is what type of work?
A. Oil painting B. Lyric poem
C. Opera D. Ballet

STQ (after the answer was revealed he said he never would have guessed that)

STQ $50K
Keith Ellison, the first Muslim elected to the U.S. Congress, was sworn in on a Koran once owned by what president?\
A. Thomas Jefferson B. Abraham Lincoln
C. Theodore Roosevelt D. John F. Kennedy

50/50 left A. Thomas Jefferson and D. John F. Kennedy

Llew guessed incorrectly and left with $25K

Answers
$2000- C. Plant
$4000- A. The Andy Griffith Show
$8000- D. First moon landing
$16K- A. Galapagos
$25K- B. Google
$50K- D. Ballet
$50K- A. Thomas Jefferson

TheConfessor

Re: Transcript 10/23/2007 Llew Rao

#2 Post by TheConfessor » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:13 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $16,000
Which of these island groups derives its name from the Spanish word for "tortoise"?
A. Galapagos B. Azores
C. Maldives D. Balearic
This question is just plain wrong. Many sources confirm that "tortuga" is Spanish for "saddle," which the original explorers considered the shape of the shells of the tortoises on the island. For example:

http://www.darwinsgalapagos.com/gallery ... ture_8.htm
The Giant Galapagos Tortoise is the classic Galapagos Islands animal. They gave the islands their name after the old Spanish word Galapago for saddle which the shape of the shell of some varieties resembles. The tortoises on the islands are all part of the same species, Geochelone nigra, sometimes called Geochelone elephantophus, they can vary considerably however and there are 14 recognised varieties. Galapagos tortoises are found nowhere else in the world other than these islands.
When I saw the question, I expected the correct choice to be Tortugas.

NellyLunatic1980

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:19 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8000- The iconic phrase "The Eagle has landed" is forever linked to what historic event?

ATA: 9%-0-0-91% in favor of D.

He says he was thinking A so it was a good thing he ATA.
:shock: MBFFB® is going crazy right now...

$25K: Microsoft is based in Washington, so that's wrong. I'm between Google and Yahoo. Let's PAF.

$50K: Knew this one even before the choices came up.

$50K #2: Knew this one before the choices came up as well.

peacock2121

#4 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:59 am

Have we talked about The Rite of Spring here?

I can't think of another way I would have known it was a ballet.

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:20 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Llew Rao
Cleveland, OH
Resident physician
Played bar trivia between tapings but "got smoked"
So he taped the last show of the day and came back the next, I guess.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8000- The iconic phrase "The Eagle has landed" is forever linked to what historic event?

He should have taken a little more time to reason it out; after saying this, Meredith asked him the context and he told her that whenever he LANDED at an airport he pulled out his cell phone and called whoever he was meeting and used that line.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:He says he was thinking A so it was a good thing he ATA.
elwing, who is usually not as snarky as I am about contestants, commented, "That explains how he got 'smoked'".
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000
A. Galapagos B. Azores
C. Maldives D. Balearic
I was expecting Tortugas, but that would be too easy.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000
In 2006, what tech company established a free WiFi network for its hometown of Mountain View, California?
A. Microsoft B. Google
C. Yahoo D. AOL
Finally a shout-out to our favorite PAF resource!
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50,000
Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring," famous for sparking a riot in Paris in 1913, is what type of work?
A. Oil painting B. Lyric poem
C. Opera D. Ballet
My high school junior English class was an "advanced" class called "Humanities". We got to listen to portions of the orchestral accompaniment to TROS; I loved it, while most of my classmates were dismayed by it. Our teacher told us that the huge bass drumming sound was caused by people actually jumping off a platform onto a specially crafted drumhead.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:STQ $50K
Keith Ellison, the first Muslim elected to the U.S. Congress, was sworn in on a Koran once owned by what president?\
A. Thomas Jefferson B. Abraham Lincoln
C. Theodore Roosevelt D. John F. Kennedy
Hmmm...my first thought was Jefferson because he was more of a "Renaissance man" than the others and would be more likely to own a Koran. In the HS I'd have used the 50/50 on this one had it come up in the regular stack (since I didn't need STQ for the actual $50K question).
Last edited by earendel on Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:37 am

peacock2121 wrote:Have we talked about The Rite of Spring here?

I can't think of another way I would have known it was a ballet.
I believe that was one of the ballets JBillyGirl gave us a summary of, one time, in her "Ballet for Game Show Contestants" lesson.

peacock2121

#7 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:39 am

How sad is my life that when I know something like this, I know I had to have learned it here.

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:34 am

earendel wrote:

He should have taken a little more time to reason it out; after saying this, Meredith asked him the context and he told her that whenever he LANDED at an airport he pulled out his cell phone and called whoever he was meeting and used that line.
Yeah, but he was being distracted by the landing on the Normandy beaches. Perhaps a valid distractor, for those young enough for one event to be ancient history as much as the other. And if he thought that the D-Day landings would need a secret code word after the troops had hit the beaches. :roll:

earendel wrote:
A. Microsoft B. Google
C. Yahoo D. AOL
Yeah, but this was an undervalued question with a nasty distractor.

1. Was establishing the local WiFi network a national story? If not, the question really focuses on knowing where the companies are located. However....

2. Yahoo's headquarters is in Sunnyvale, right next door to Mountain View!

Sheesh!

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:36 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:[2. Yahoo's headquarters is in Sunnyvale, right next door to Mountain View!

Sheesh!
Sunnyvale?? Isn't that the site of the Hellmouth that Buffy and the Scoobies had to deal with for all those years? :lol:
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:41 am

earendel wrote: Sunnyvale?? Isn't that the site of the Hellmouth that Buffy and the Scoobies had to deal with for all those years? :lol:
Sunnyvale...Sunnydale...

There might have been some luddites on the Buffy scriptwriting staff. :P

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#11 Post by silvercamaro » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:43 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote:
A. Microsoft B. Google
C. Yahoo D. AOL
Yeah, but this was an undervalued question with a nasty distractor.

1. Was establishing the local WiFi network a national story? If not, the question really focuses on knowing where the companies are located. However....

2. Yahoo's headquarters is in Sunnyvale, right next door to Mountain View!

Sheesh!
When I open Internet Explorer, the Google home page comes up, complete with a weather forecast for Mountain View, California. (The weather forecast location can be changed, but that requires effort.) Without being certain of the address of Google's headquarters, I would have considered this a strong enough clue to go with the right answer. At any rate, the association was strong in my mind when the question came up.

MarleysGh0st

#12 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:49 am

silvercamaro wrote: When I open Internet Explorer, the Google home page comes up, complete with a weather forecast for Mountain View, California. (The weather forecast location can be changed, but that requires effort.) Without being certain of the address of Google's headquarters, I would have considered this a strong enough clue to go with the right answer. At any rate, the association was strong in my mind when the question came up.
Is that the regular google.com home page or a customized page? (I think they call theirs iGoogle.) Their home page stands out among web sites for being remarkably free of excess stuff like weather reports and news headlines and a million and one links and ads.

Just the search form, ma'am! :)

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#13 Post by silvercamaro » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:01 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote: Is that the regular google.com home page or a customized page? (I think they call theirs iGoogle.) Their home page stands out among web sites for being remarkably free of excess stuff like weather reports and news headlines and a million and one links and ads.

Just the search form, ma'am! :)
I don't know. It's the page I started getting after I signed up with a Google name to play the DaVinci Code game a couple of years ago.
It's also the page where the Jeopardy daily questions appeared a little while back. I consider it an entirely separate entity from the Google search page I normally use. (I just discovered that I can search from that page, but I more often go directly to the advanced search form, which I have bookmarked.)

ghostjmf

#14 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:16 pm

since I didn't need to STQ, say his STQ 50K is my 100K. I'd still be alive!