Oscar Thoughts

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Oscar Thoughts

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:53 am

1) Biggest surprise inclusion was Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper for American Hustle. They weren't really on the radar but apparently got in when the film itself became the darling of the voters (there's a tendency to nominate everyone involved in the "big" film of a particular year). Bale's nomination probably came at the expense of either Tom Hanks or Robert Redford. Cooper also may have cost Tom Hanks a nomination as well.

2) Biggest surprise exclusion was Emma Thompson for Saving Mr. Banks. However, critics and Hollywood insiders (notably including Meryl Streep) have ganged up on the movie as whitewashing the character of Walt Disney and the Disney culture of the era to create a, ahem, traditional Disney film. Oprah Winfrey also didn't make the cut, nor did the Coen Brothers Inside Llewyn Davis in any of the creative categories (although it did get a cinematography nod, which usually happens when someone makes a black & white film nowadays)

3) On the other hand, the backlash against The Wolf of Wall Street did not hurt that movie since it got nominations in every major category for which it was eligible.

4) American Hustle should win the best Costume Design Oscar simply for the seemingly infinite number of ways they managed to show off Amy Adams' cleavage in one outlandish outfit after another (plenty of leisure suits too).

5) Bad Grandpa should win Best Makeup because it will be so cool to see Johnny Knoxville holding an Oscar.

6) The female acting categories are a done deal this year. Cate Blanchett won the Oscar back in the summer (when I saw Blue Jasmine, I knew there wouldn't be a better performance this year). Jennifer Lawrence is also a lock. The male categories are wide open.

7) Best Director will again boil down to whether they want to honor technical expertise (Alfonso Cuaron) or artistic excellence (Steve McQueen) or, if there's a landslide for American Hustle, David O. Russell. Gravity will clean up in the technical awards.

8) Since we got to see Her and Osage County last weekend, I managed to see all the nominees in every major creative category before the nominations were announced. I'm usually about 50/50 whether I manage that or if there's one movie I somehow missed or hadn't made it to Atlanta yet.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

franktangredi

Re: Oscar Thoughts

#2 Post by franktangredi » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:05 am

Again, I'm really happiest for June Squibb. It would be cool if she managed to pull an upset.

If Jennifer Lawrence wins, it will be the second time she'll have beaten an actress nominated for the first time in her eighties.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#3 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:15 am

I always thought Oscar was quite a grouch...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

jarnon

#4 Post by jarnon » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:41 am

littlebeast13 wrote:I always thought Oscar was quite a grouch...

lb13
Found it!
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

danielh41

#5 Post by danielh41 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:25 am

Of the 9 Best Picture nominees, I've only seen two (Gravity and American Hustle). I really liked both movies, and I think I would have trouble choosing one over the other as a "best" picture.

macrae1234

#6 Post by macrae1234 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:57 am

If Jennifer Lawrence wins, it will be the second time she'll have beaten an actress nominated for the first time in her eighties.
Like anyone thought Emanuelle Riva had a shot
We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:26 pm

I can't see anything besides "Let It Go" winning best song.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

SpacemanSpiff

#8 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:22 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:American Hustle should win the best Costume Design Oscar simply for the seemingly infinite number of ways they managed to show off Amy Adams' cleavage in one outlandish outfit after another (plenty of leisure suits too).
And this is a problem how? :mrgreen: :twisted:
Bob Juch wrote:I can't see anything besides "Let It Go" winning best song.
Damn skippy. I just hope Idina sings it at the Oscars instead of the pop-version-for-Radio-Disney Demi Lovato.

Personally, I was a tad disappointed that Muscle Shoals didn't make it in the Documentary (long form) category, but it wouldn't have stood a chance of winning, given the nature of AMPAS voting for that sort of thing.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

Bob Juch

#9 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:55 pm

SpacemanSpiff wrote:Personally, I was a tad disappointed that Muscle Shoals didn't make it in the Documentary (long form) category, but it wouldn't have stood a chance of winning, given the nature of AMPAS voting for that sort of thing.
Yeah, indie studios have little chance, even for docus.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

TheCalvinator24

#10 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:04 pm

Probably. I can't support it because it's not terribly original. When I listened to it, I found it to be quite derivative of many Broadway tunes I know.

My fave of the nominees is the U2 song. Least fave is "Happy" from Despicable Me 2.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

SpacemanSpiff

#11 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:19 pm

TheCalvinator24 wrote:
Probably. I can't support it because it's not terribly original. When I listened to it, I found it to be quite derivative of many Broadway tunes I know.

My fave of the nominees is the U2 song. Least fave is "Happy" from Despicable Me 2.
Given that it's written by the folks who wrote the songs for Avenue Q and The Book of Mormon, it makes sense.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell