Transcript 03/18/2014 Jason Schneiderman (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 03/18/2014 Jason Schneiderman (carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:55 pm

Jason Schneiderman
Medford, MA

At the opening, Cedric said Jason loves peacocks and Jason said it is because they are known for being a little vain, a little flamboyant, and a little ridiculous.
He thinks of himself as a little vain and a little flamboyant so it keeps him humble.
Cedric pointed out Jason has the long hair for the role.

(FYI- It was the previous contestant, Melissa Del Toro, who got a question about peacocks)

Topic Tree: (randomized was shown only)

Becoming Maverick
New Theories
Wrong Address
Duty Bound
$15000
$7000
$3000
$500
$100
$10000

Question 7 - Duty Bound
While Americans often just feel guilty for not doing it, Australia takes things a step further by fining its citizens $20 if they fail to do what?
A. Volunteer B. Go to church
C. Eat their vegetables D. Vote
Answer and value
D. Vote
Value: $2000
Bank: $37600

Question 8 - Wrong Address
When replacing ".com" with ".net," what social networking site becomes a "portal for bird-watching statistics from around the world"?
A. Twitter B. Instagram
C. Tumblr D. Meetup
Answer and value
A. Twitter
Value: $25K
Bank: $62600

Question 9- New Theories
A theory has emerged that what artist did not commit suicide, but was instead shot by a 16-year-old bully?
A. Diane Arbus B. Mark Rothko
C. Frida Kahlo D. Vincent van Gogh
JTQ 1
Jason said he is tempted but will JTQ
Answer and value
D. Vincent van Gogh
Value: $5000 jumped
Question 10 - Becoming Maverick
Hoping it would boost enrollment the way it did Ray Ban sales, what military branch stationed recruitment officers outside screenings of Top Gun in 1986?
A. Navy B. Air Force
C. Army D. Coast Guard
JTQ
Jason says he has seen the movie a number of times but he can't remember if it was the Navy or the Air Force. Jason jumps into Round 2
Answer and value
A. Navy
Value: known to be $1000 jumped

Question 11 - $100K
What body of water connecting the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans shares its name with a singer whose hits include "Best I Ever Had"?
A. Redman Strait B. Drake Passage
C. Common Stream D. Kanye Canal
Spoiler
Jason started with a peacock sound and got audience applause and a response from Cedric.
Jason said an explorer who circumnavigated... it is not a stream or Kanye Canal. Drake Passage final answer

Answer
B. Drake Passage
Bank: 100,000
Commercial break

Jason's sisters Elaine and Robin are in the audience.

Question 12 - $250K
Before the first human flight, the first hot air balloon with passengers took flight in 1783 with all but which of the following animals onboard?
A. Pig B. Duck
C. Rooster D. Sheep
Spoiler
Jason said the sheep is the biggest and you wouldn't want a large animal in the basket
Cedric-Probably would have nudged out the peacock
Jason said peacocks don't fly so much they kind of hover.
Jason decided to take the $100K and go.
Answer
A. Pig
Walk: $100,000
no break

jarnon

Re: Transcript 03/18/2014 Jason Schneiderman (carryover)

#2 Post by jarnon » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:42 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question 11 - $100K
What body of water connecting the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans shares its name with a singer whose hits include "Best I Ever Had"?
Spoiler
Jason started with a peacock sound and got audience applause and a response from Cedric.
Jason said an explorer who circumnavigated... it is not a stream or Kanye Canal. Drake Passage final answer
The easiest $100K question ever! You can get it if you know about the explorer it's named after (as Jason did) or about pop music.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#3 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:49 pm

So far, so good.
Question 7 - Duty Bound
While Americans often just feel guilty for not doing it, Australia takes things a step further by fining its citizens $20 if they fail to do what?
A. Volunteer B. Go to church
C. Eat their vegetables D. Vote
Answer and value
D. Vote
Value: $2000
Bank: $37600
It went up -- it was $15 when I was there in 1993.
Question 9- New Theories
A theory has emerged that what artist did not commit suicide, but was instead shot by a 16-year-old bully?
JTQ 1
Answer and value
D. Vincent van Gogh
JTQ 1
Question 12 - $250K
Before the first human flight, the first hot air balloon with passengers took flight in 1783 with all but which of the following animals onboard?
A. Pig B. Duck
C. Rooster D. Sheep
Spoiler
Jason said the sheep is the biggest and you wouldn't want a large animal in the basket
Answer
A. Pig
JTQ 2
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:12 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question 10 - Becoming Maverick
Hoping it would boost enrollment the way it did Ray Ban sales, what military branch stationed recruitment officers outside screenings of Top Gun in 1986?
A. Navy B. Air Force
C. Army D. Coast Guard
JTQ
Jason says he has seen the movie a number of times but he can't remember if it was the Navy or the Air Force. Jason jumps into Round 2
Answer and value
A. Navy
It might have been a challenge to remember which branch of the service this was, if he was only thinking about the Top Gun school, but if he recalled that the key action sequences took place when they were taking off from an aircraft carrier, he'd have had the answer.

Miramar, where Top Gun was located, is now a Marine Corps base. I have a friend who's stationed there.

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:31 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question 10 - Becoming Maverick
A. Navy B. Air Force
C. Army D. Coast Guard
JTQ
Answer and value
A. Navy
It might have been a challenge to remember which branch of the service this was, if he was only thinking about the Top Gun school, but if he recalled that the key action sequences took place when they were taking off from an aircraft carrier, he'd have had the answer.

Miramar, where Top Gun was located, is now a Marine Corps base. I have a friend who's stationed there.
TOPGUN closed in 1996. The residents of the new developments were complaining about the noise and danger.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:40 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Jason Schneiderman
Medford, MA

At the opening, Cedric said Jason loves peacocks and Jason said it is because they are known for being a little vain, a little flamboyant, and a little ridiculous.
He thinks of himself as a little vain and a little flamboyant so it keeps him humble.
Cedric pointed out Jason has the long hair for the role.

(FYI- It was the previous contestant, Melissa Del Toro, who got a question about peacocks)
Spoiler
Answer
B. Drake Passage
Bank: 100,000
This is one of the easiest $100K questions I've seen.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question 12 - $250K
A. Pig B. Duck
C. Rooster D. Sheep
Spoiler
Answer
A. Pig
Ooh, I know this one. So I'm looking at the $500K question with all 3 lifelines.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:44 am

Question 9- New Theories
JTQ 1
Answer and value
D. Vincent van Gogh
Wikipedia wrote:Van Gogh's 2011 biographers Steven Naifeh and Gregory White Smith argue that van Gogh did not commit suicide but was shot accidentally by a boy he knew who had "a malfunctioning gun".
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

JSchneiderman

#8 Post by JSchneiderman » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:30 am

MarleysGh0st wrote: It might have been a challenge to remember which branch of the service this was, if he was only thinking about the Top Gun school, but if he recalled that the key action sequences took place when they were taking off from an aircraft carrier, he'd have had the answer.
Fun fact: Years later, I came to the conclusion you did, only it was based on remembering the Top Gun NES video game, where the final stage was landing on the aircraft carrier. At the time, though, I was nervous enough that it didn't click, and I was basically barreling toward the $100K question.

There were two things going on that were invisible to the camera. The first is that between my first taping and my second, nearly a full week had passed — I was the last contestant on the last show taped the Friday before the Labor Day weekend, so I had to go down to New York in two consecutive weeks, getting a hotel each time and taking time off from a job I had had less than three months. The other thing is that I'd managed to give myself a case of stress-induced gout in the process, so I was in some pretty serious pain through the whole thing. Changed my life, though. :)

JSchneiderman

#9 Post by JSchneiderman » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:34 am

jarnon wrote:

Spoiler
The easiest $100K question ever! You can get it if you know about the explorer it's named after (as Jason did) or about pop music.
You would mock the daylights out of me for how long it took me to make the connection, then. They edited out a lot of humming and hawing, and the audience was very appreciative and relieved when I finally put it together.

jarnon

#10 Post by jarnon » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:08 am

JSchneiderman wrote:
jarnon wrote:

Spoiler
You would mock the daylights out of me for how long it took me to make the connection, then. They edited out a lot of humming and hawing, and the audience was very appreciative and relieved when I finally put it together.
Welcome aBored, Jason!

I'd never mock you. I've been there and I know how the Hot Seat messes with your mind. And besides, comments stay on the Bored forever and the contestant may read them sooner or later. (You don't have to be a Bored Buddy to read posts on the Bored.) And then I'd be the one with egg on my face! :oops:
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

ghostjmf

#11 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:10 pm

Appears I never played along on this one, so here goes:

Q10: Never saw movie. ATA

Q12: +1, 50/50 if I still have them. Otherwise bye. Don't think Jump was left at this level, right?

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#12 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:28 pm

JSchneiderman wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote: It might have been a challenge to remember which branch of the service this was, if he was only thinking about the Top Gun school, but if he recalled that the key action sequences took place when they were taking off from an aircraft carrier, he'd have had the answer.
Fun fact: Years later, I came to the conclusion you did, only it was based on remembering the Top Gun NES video game, where the final stage was landing on the aircraft carrier. At the time, though, I was nervous enough that it didn't click, and I was basically barreling toward the $100K question.

There were two things going on that were invisible to the camera. The first is that between my first taping and my second, nearly a full week had passed — I was the last contestant on the last show taped the Friday before the Labor Day weekend, so I had to go down to New York in two consecutive weeks, getting a hotel each time and taking time off from a job I had had less than three months. The other thing is that I'd managed to give myself a case of stress-induced gout in the process, so I was in some pretty serious pain through the whole thing. Changed my life, though. :)
Welcome aBored! Congratulations on the win. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

andrewjackson

#13 Post by andrewjackson » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:40 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
A. Pig B. Duck
C. Rooster D. Sheep
Spoiler

Spoiler
A. Pig

Spoiler
Sheep are not bigger than pigs. I don't know how this idea entered the non-farm population but it seems to be a common belief. I guess because movies and TV shows tend to show small pigs. And people probably over-value height but sheep are relatively lightly built. Pigs are born smaller than sheep but quickly out-grow them. Sheep weigh 8-10 pounds at birth but max out at around 300 pounds. Pigs weigh 2-3 pounds when they are born but they can be over 200 pounds by 6 months of age. Adult pigs often weigh over 500 pounds.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Bob Juch

#14 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:14 am

andrewjackson wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
A. Pig B. Duck
C. Rooster D. Sheep
Spoiler

Spoiler
A. Pig

Spoiler
Sheep are not bigger than pigs. I don't know how this idea entered the non-farm population but it seems to be a common belief. I guess because movies and TV shows tend to show small pigs. And people probably over-value height but sheep are relatively lightly built. Pigs are born smaller than sheep but quickly out-grow them. Sheep weigh 8-10 pounds at birth but max out at around 300 pounds. Pigs weigh 2-3 pounds when they are born but they can be over 200 pounds by 6 months of age. Adult pigs often weigh over 500 pounds.
I would have picked sheep over pig because a pig might try to get out of the basket. Sheep are more sheepish.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#15 Post by Estonut » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:51 pm

andrewjackson wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
A. Pig B. Duck
C. Rooster D. Sheep
Spoiler

Spoiler
A. Pig
Spoiler
Spoiler
We have a fairly new "Costco Business Center" near us. In addition to the bulk business-type items one would expect, they have some surprises, too. They have a huge room full of meat. They keep it so cold that employees "loan" jackets at the entrance. Outside, in the freezers, they offer whole pig, goat in a box and whole sheep. The whole sheep are packed in a bag, but the outline is clearly visible and recognizable as some animal. They are the shape of a large, very sleek dog. Before seeing that, I didn't realize how much of their perceived size and roundness is just their fleece.

Whoever thought that sheep are bigger than pigs have, apparently, not seen these:

Spoiler

Spoiler
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

andrewjackson

#16 Post by andrewjackson » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:58 am

Estonut wrote:
andrewjackson wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
Spoiler
Spoiler
We have a fairly new "Costco Business Center" near us. In addition to the bulk business-type items one would expect, they have some surprises, too. They have a huge room full of meat. They keep it so cold that employees "loan" jackets at the entrance. Outside, in the freezers, they offer whole pig, goat in a box and whole sheep. The whole sheep are packed in a bag, but the outline is clearly visible and recognizable as some animal. They are the shape of a large, very sleek dog. Before seeing that, I didn't realize how much of their perceived size and roundness is just their fleece.
Spoiler
I guess I forgot about the added factor of the sheep's fleece. I will also point out that the sheep you are seeing in the cooler are market lambs. They are only 6 months old or so, definitely less than a year. They would weigh about 120-130 pounds live but the carcass would be half of that at most. The equivalent for market hogs would have a live weight of about 230 pounds and the carcass would be around 175 pounds. So the whole pig being sold in the store might be 3 times as big as the lamb. If the carcass has been processed into individual cuts then the weights would be less but you get the idea. Market animals for most livestock are typically much younger and only about half as big as the mature animals of the species.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#17 Post by Estonut » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:06 pm

andrewjackson wrote:
Estonut wrote:
andrewjackson wrote:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
I guess I forgot about the added factor of the sheep's fleece. I will also point out that the sheep you are seeing in the cooler are market lambs. They are only 6 months old or so, definitely less than a year. They would weigh about 120-130 pounds live but the carcass would be half of that at most. The equivalent for market hogs would have a live weight of about 230 pounds and the carcass would be around 175 pounds. So the whole pig being sold in the store might be 3 times as big as the lamb. If the carcass has been processed into individual cuts then the weights would be less but you get the idea. Market animals for most livestock are typically much younger and only about half as big as the mature animals of the species.
Spoiler
IIRC, the whole pigs were also in a box, which was around 18" by 18" by 6". They were stacked in a corner of the freezer. I think they were each marked at somewhere just over 100 pounds.

I thought the sheep were around 80 pounds, but they may well have been 60.
Groucho Marx

Estonut
Evil Genius

#18 Post by Estonut » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:34 pm

Spoiler
I found the pigs. I must have conflated the price and weight. These are much smaller than I remembered. They run 20 to 40 pounds at $3.09 (at one time). Thus, I must have seen some 35-pounders priced slightly over a hundred bucks.

https://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/ ... 06901.html
Groucho Marx

andrewjackson

#19 Post by andrewjackson » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:47 am

Estonut wrote:
Spoiler
I found the pigs. I must have conflated the price and weight. These are much smaller than I remembered. They run 20 to 40 pounds at $3.09 (at one time). Thus, I must have seen some 35-pounders priced slightly over a hundred bucks.

https://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/ ... 06901.html
Spoiler
Ah, pig roast pigs. Those are definitely smaller than regular market hogs.