Transcript 03/31/08 Jessica Cocchiara

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 03/31/08 Jessica Cocchiara

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:54 pm

Jessica Cocchiara
Chandler, AZ
Unemployed
Getting married soon

$100 Which of these weather-related adjectives is also a word that means “cheerful”?
A. Rainy
B. Sunny
C. Foggy
D. Rachael Ray-ey

$200 A type of hotel, a “boatel” gets its name because it’s always situated where?
A. On the water
B. In a forest
C. Atop a mountain
D. In a desert

$300 A special kosher version of Coca-Cola is available annually for what holiday?
A. Independence Day
B. Thanksgiving
C. Passover
D. Valentine’s Day

$500 A mandarin is a sweet-tasting orange that shares its name with the official language of what country?
A. China
B. Switzerland
C. Brazil
D. Kenya

$1K “He is a very good little elephant” is a line in the popular children’s tale “The Story of” whom?
A. Clifford
B. Curious George
C. Stuart Little
D. Babar

$2K If a woman making $50,000 a year receives a 20 percent pay raise, what is her new annual salary?
A. $55,000
B. $60,000
C. $70,000
D. $75,000

ATA
1% A. $55,000
93% B. $60,000
4% C. $70,000
2% D. $75,000

$4K In 2007, Jeremy Piven won a second Emmy for his role as über-agent Ari Gold on what TV series?
A. Entourage
B. Extras
C. The Sopranos
D. Curb Your Enthusiasm

PAF – Jim, a friend of Jessica
Jim says Entourage as soon as Jessica gives it as a choice.

$8K What month’s name is also an adjective meaning “awe-inspiring”?
A. May
B. March
C. June
D. August

50/50 leaves A. May and D. August.

$16K In 1780, England’s General Cornwallis called what city a “hornet’s nest of rebellion”?
A. Charlotte, NC
B. Annapolis, MD
C. Trenton, NJ
D. Richmond, VA

commercial break

Jessica wants to win enough to get married. The wedding is on hold until their finances improve.
Jessica is originally from New York. She moved to Arizona to be with her mother.

$25K What part of the human eye has no blood vessels?
A. Retina
B. Cornea
C. Iris
D. Sclera

Jessica wants to say “B”, but $16K is a lot of money.
Jessica decides to leave with $16K.

Answers:
$100 B. Sunny
$200 A. On the water
$300 C. Passover
$500 A. China
$1K D. Babar
$2K B. $60,000
$4K A. Entourage
$8K D. August
$16K A. Charlotte, NC
$25K B. Cornea

gsabc

#2 Post by gsabc » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:14 pm

$16K In 1780, England’s General Cornwallis called what city a “hornet’s nest of rebellion”?
A. Charlotte, NC
B. Annapolis, MD
C. Trenton, NJ
D. Richmond, VA

Only after seeing the answer did I make the connection to their former NBA team's name. Duh moment. Other than this one, no problemo, but would have used at least one and possibly more lifelines here.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 03/31/08 Jessica Cocchiara

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:49 am

$16K: Even if you had never heard this quote before (I certainly hadn't), just think of the former NBA team, the Charlotte Hornets.

Nihil obstat®

Ritterskoop

#4 Post by Ritterskoop » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:15 am

Charlotte has had sports teams named the Hornets since at least the 50s, though the NBA team was the only one at the major league level. The others were minor league baseball and football, which would not be worthy of a 16K question, of course. Just wanted to let everyone know the NBA team name was for a reason.

The battle at Kings Mountain, a few weeks after Cornwallis arrived in Charlotte, was quite possibly the turning point of the war, depending on which historian you read. They kicked the stuffing out of Cornwallis' man Tarleton (who may have originated the hornet's nest quote, anyway).
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:38 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Jessica Cocchiara
Chandler, AZ
Unemployed
Getting married soon
New shows at last!!!
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$2K If a woman making $50,000 a year receives a 20 percent pay raise, what is her new annual salary?
A. $55,000
B. $60,000
C. $70,000
D. $75,000

ATA
1% A. $55,000
93% B. $60,000
4% C. $70,000
2% D. $75,000
Jessica commented that she was no good at math. Unfortunately that seems like a typical "feminine" reaction to such questions.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K What month’s name is also an adjective meaning “awe-inspiring”?
A. May
B. March
C. June
D. August

50/50 leaves A. May and D. August.
I've never thought of "august" as "awe-inspiring".
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K In 1780, England’s General Cornwallis called what city a “hornet’s nest of rebellion”?
A. Charlotte, NC
B. Annapolis, MD
C. Trenton, NJ
D. Richmond, VA
I would crashed and burned right here, associating Cornwallis with Yorktown and thus the northern colonies. If I'd used the 50/50, I might have been stuck with Charlotte and either Trenton or Annapolis, chosen the wrong one and left with $1K.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Jessica wants to win enough to get married. The wedding is on hold until their finances improve.

Jessica is originally from New York. She moved to Arizona to be with her mother.
So she's a former WE®.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K What part of the human eye has no blood vessels?
A. Retina
B. Cornea
C. Iris
D. Sclera

Jessica wants to say “B”, but $16K is a lot of money.
Jessica decides to leave with $16K.
For someone in her situation $16K is a lot of money and she did the right thing. But from a game standpoint it's a shame she didn't go for it.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

peacock2121

#6 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:21 am

Dream stack for me, thanks to Cal's non-homosexual love for that Jeremy guy.

There are actually times when the cornea grows blood vessels. You are pretty screwed when that happens. Take care of your contact leneses people!

slam

#7 Post by slam » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:28 am

The interesting thing about this contestant was that she seemed confident and knowledgeable as she progressed through the 1K level. The moment she panicked at the math question, I knew it was all over. Not knowing Jeremy Piven really reveals a lack of adequate knowledge to play this game. Even if you don't watch Entourage (a great show, btw), he has won 2 Emmy's and has been some movies recently.

And what's up with needing the 50/50 to get "August"? Sit back, take your time, and reason it out.

peacock2121

#8 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:30 am

slam wrote:The interesting thing about this contestant was that she seemed confident and knowledgeable as she progressed through the 1K level. The moment she panicked at the math question, I knew it was all over. Not knowing Jeremy Piven really reveals a lack of adequate knowledge to play this game. Even if you don't watch Entourage (a great show, btw), he has won 2 Emmy's and has been some movies recently.

And what's up with needing the 50/50 to get "August"? Sit back, take your time, and reason it out.
LOL - guess I got smacked down a little bit.

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:58 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Jessica Cocchiara
Chandler, AZ
Unemployed
Getting married soon
So not only does she appear to be a hold-over from Wedding Week, but she's a WE in disguise.

I confess that I do not watch Entourage and did not know that Jeremy Piven in on the cast of that, despite what Cal may have said about him. Although I had a strong hunch that was the right show, I probably would have burnt the ATA to eliminate Extras as a possibility.

tanstaafl2

#10 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:50 am

slam wrote:The interesting thing about this contestant was that she seemed confident and knowledgeable as she progressed through the 1K level. The moment she panicked at the math question, I knew it was all over. Not knowing Jeremy Piven really reveals a lack of adequate knowledge to play this game. Even if you don't watch Entourage (a great show, btw), he has won 2 Emmy's and has been some movies recently.

It was interesting that she struggled with what seemed like relatively simple questions (at least the math Q was and the August Q was no problem either. I even knew the Piven Q and I no longer pay much attention to current "entertainment news") but apparently went through the 16K Q, which was reasonably tough I thought, with little apparent difficulty.

The 25K Q however was not so tough for me...

Too bad she didn't have the cojones to go for the 25K but that is what happens I suppose when you throw away lifelines on relatively easy ones.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

jayhawker536

#11 Post by jayhawker536 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:41 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:Charlotte has had sports teams named the Hornets since at least the 50s, though the NBA team was the only one at the major league level. The others were minor league baseball and football, which would not be worthy of a 16K question, of course. Just wanted to let everyone know the NBA team name was for a reason.

The battle at Kings Mountain, a few weeks after Cornwallis arrived in Charlotte, was quite possibly the turning point of the war, depending on which historian you read. They kicked the stuffing out of Cornwallis' man Tarleton (who may have originated the hornet's nest quote, anyway).
Actually Skoop, this is exactly why I knew the answer to this question. My 6g grandfather was one of the mountain men that fought in the battle of Kings Mountain. Andrew Goff is the ancestor the family decided to use for admittance to DAR, although in all the research we qualified through three others also.

There is a plaque on the outside of the courthouse in Franklin, Tennessee honoring him and a section of highway named after him. Guess he was some mountain of a man.

tanstaafl2

#12 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:27 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:Charlotte has had sports teams named the Hornets since at least the 50s, though the NBA team was the only one at the major league level. The others were minor league baseball and football, which would not be worthy of a 16K question, of course. Just wanted to let everyone know the NBA team name was for a reason.

This is a good reason why cities should have deals in place with pro teams regarding their local sports team names, especially when they hold some element of local significance. New Orleans Hornets makes no more sense than does the the Utah Jazz, or Calgary Flames or the LA Lakers for that matter. Cleveland did it right when they were able to keep the Browns name in Cleveland and it sounds like it would have made sense for Charlotte to keep the Hornets moniker.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

ghostjmf

#13 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:31 pm

I am checking for the broadcast that was interrupted by news of a transformer explosion in a Boston building (this wasn't it) but anyway:

2K: When she had to ATA on this I started rooting against her. Sorry, you don't have to love arithmetic, but you should be able to figure 10% of anything. Double it, you have 20%.

16K: Genuinely hard Q for me; I did not make the sports-team connection 'til I read it in this discussion. I would have PAFed here, I think.

25K: I'd have 50/50ed between cornea & sclera here. Not being bio-maven-at-work I admit. Falling off the log here.