Official WWTBAM press release

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
MarleysGh0st

Official WWTBAM press release

#1 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:27 am

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=784220

This press release mentions the "Millionaire's Grand Giveaway Sweepstakes" that we all entered back in September, with 100 $1,000 prizes to be given away on the shows to be aired Nov. 5-9.

They've also got a big spoiler for next week (which we've already had reports of here, but you know they don't keep the big events secret).
Spoiler
Could our next millionaire be waiting in the wings? Tune-in the week of October 29 - November 2 when the elusive million-dollar question will be revealed! Here's a sneak peak at what the million-dollar question will be:

"Khrushchev's famous 1960 'shoe-banging' outburst at the U.N. was in response to a delegate from what nation? A) Australia, B) The Netherlands, C) The Philippines, D) Turkey." The correct answer is "C," but you'll have to tune-in October 29 - November 2, to see if the contestant will know the answer and walk away with $1 million. Our confetti is ready to fly and we've got a million-dollar check ready to fill out!
My guess on the outcome?
Spoiler
I don't have a clue on the answer. Maybe Turkey, over the U.S. stationing missles there, but that was resolved two years later during the Cuban Missle Crisis, so was it already an issue in 1960? If the contestant doesn't have any lifelines to use here s/he's walking.

peacock2121

#2 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:34 am

I love November TV.

earendel

Re: Official WWTBAM press release

#3 Post by earendel » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:36 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=784220

This press release mentions the "Millionaire's Grand Giveaway Sweepstakes" that we all entered back in September, with 100 $1,000 prizes to be given away on the shows to be aired Nov. 5-9.

They've also got a big spoiler for next week (which we've already had reports of here, but you know they don't keep the big events secret).
Really? I hadn't seen anything about this, though they usually keep something like this in reserve for sweeps, and we do know that they rearranged the schedule of shows.
Spoiler
Could our next millionaire be waiting in the wings? Tune-in the week of October 29 - November 2 when the elusive million-dollar question will be revealed! Here's a sneak peak at what the million-dollar question will be:

"Khrushchev's famous 1960 'shoe-banging' outburst at the U.N. was in response to a delegate from what nation? A) Australia, B) The Netherlands, C) The Philippines, D) Turkey." The correct answer is "C," but you'll have to tune-in October 29 - November 2, to see if the contestant will know the answer and walk away with $1 million. Our confetti is ready to fly and we've got a million-dollar check ready to fill out!
MarleysGh0st wrote:My guess on the outcome?
Spoiler
I don't have a clue on the answer. Maybe Turkey, over the U.S. stationing missles there, but that was resolved two years later during the Cuban Missle Crisis, so was it already an issue in 1960? If the contestant doesn't have any lifelines to use here s/he's walking.
I agree.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

gsabc

#4 Post by gsabc » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:58 am

IMO, a MUCH harder question than all the other million-dollar Q's, which I just checked on the database. I suppose it's like any other Q, it's only easy if you know it.

What WAS the context, anyway? Now I've gotta hit Google ...
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

TheConfessor

#5 Post by TheConfessor » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:35 pm

I don't know why the show makes contestants sign their life away under threat of massive financial penalties if they reveal any spoilers. I guess they figure they're the professionals and they don't trust spoiling the show to mere amateurs.

As for the outcome, I'd be shocked if...
Spoiler
the contestant doesn't walk away. This is a tough question. Of course, if he/she still has any lifelines, that could make a difference. But if the contestant had attempted to respond, the spoilers in the press release would have been different.

TheCalvinator24

#6 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:38 pm

TheConfessor wrote:I don't know why the show makes contestants sign their life away under threat of massive financial penalties if they reveal any spoilers. I guess they figure they're the professionals and they don't trust spoiling the show to mere amateurs.
When did they start requiring non-disclosure? There was nothing in what I signed that threatened penalties if I revealed.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:49 pm

TheCalvinator24 wrote:
TheConfessor wrote:I don't know why the show makes contestants sign their life away under threat of massive financial penalties if they reveal any spoilers. I guess they figure they're the professionals and they don't trust spoiling the show to mere amateurs.
When did they start requiring non-disclosure? There was nothing in what I signed that threatened penalties if I revealed.
That's odd. I seem to recall that there was mention of possible sanctions if we were to discuss the outcome with anyone, particularly with the press, since they have their own publicity machine. But I could be wrong, and any papers I retained after the tapings were lost in the fire.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

TheCalvinator24

#8 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:54 pm

I remember being told something along the lines of "We can't tell you not to tell anyone how you did, but it would be better if you let people view it unspoiled. And we would really appreciate it if you didn't spill it to the press."

My local paper did a pre-viewing article on the Friday before my show. I didn't tell the interviewer, but when ABC sent him a press photo, they included one that gave away how much I won. He sent me an e-mail congratulating me before the show even aired. He did not, however, spoil the outcome for his readers.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

dodgersteve182

#9 Post by dodgersteve182 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:24 pm

Feel like I am totally out of touch with the show now. It's been preempted all week because of the news coverage of the fires!

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:28 pm

dodgersteve182 wrote:Feel like I am totally out of touch with the show now. It's been preempted all week because of the news coverage of the fires!
Sorry you're missing the show, Steve, but I think that's a reasonable preemption choice. Certainly more so than those winter days when New York goes on 24-hour news coverage to say "It's still snowing!!!"

At least we're still providing the transcripts for you.

Stay safe!

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#11 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:32 pm

dodgersteve182 wrote:Feel like I am totally out of touch with the show now. It's been preempted all week because of the news coverage of the fires!
Monday's show was preempted by news coverage, but yesterday's show wasn't scheduled anyway -- I think there was a basketball game. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson