(2014) Former “Millionaire” & “Jeopardy” contestant arrested

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
jarnon

(2014) Former “Millionaire” & “Jeopardy” contestant arrested

#1 Post by jarnon » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:49 am

Last edited by jarnon on Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

jarnon

Re: Former "Millionaire" and "Jeopardy!" contestant arrested

#2 Post by jarnon » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:01 am

Meet Claire Ogilvie. She once graduated from Yale. She once won $50,000 on Millionaire. And she once was sane.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:08 am

jarnon wrote:Meet Claire Ogilvie. She once graduated from Yale. She once won $50,000 on Millionaire. And she once was sane.
I wonder if working as a patent attorney contributed to her mental issues.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

TheConfessor

#4 Post by TheConfessor » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:49 am

She has a history of bad strategy. She was in perfect position to win this game on a triple stumper with a small FJ wager, but made a clueless "everything but a dollar" wager instead. If only she had invested a few minutes into studying betting strategy, it might have changed her whole life for the better.
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2533

TheConfessor

#5 Post by TheConfessor » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:55 am

February 14, 2005 recap:
http://www.gameshownewsnet.com/shortshots/021405.html

After a week for loooove, we're back with Claire Ogilvie, a law student from Washington, DC. So far, she's at $2000 with all her lifelines intact. But she needs the help of the people on $4000: Bill Clinton's 1996 campaign prominently featured the theme "building a bridge to the" what? The audiences agree on "the 21st Century".
Then she needs the 50/50 on $16,000: In which of these races do participants travel the farthest? That leaves Tour de France and Ironman Triathlon. She goes for the Tour de France... and gets to see the $25,000 milestone!

... which goes like this: In his famous essay, "Self-Reliance," who wrote "To be great is to be misunderstood"? a) Henry David Thoreau b) Mark Twain c) Walt Whitman d) Ralph Waldo Emerson. Thanks to her high-school English teacher, Claire locks in D as her final answer... and she has $25,000!

For $50,000: Garrison Keillor named his radio show, "A Prairie Home Companion", after a what? a) Book b) Cemetary c) Fly-fishing stream d) Family farm. She switches out. Correct: B. New question: According to a DOJ study, about how many Americans were in prison, on probation or on parole in 2003? a) 1.3 million b) 2.5 million c) 4.7 million d) 6.5 million. She's thinking "somewhere around one percent" of all Americans. She goes to her PAF, law professor Michael. "One in 32. About 6.9 million, I think." She takes the freeball... And they're right!

For $100,000: Which of these is not one of the three stars that form the belt in the constellation Orion? a) Alnitak b) Mintaka c) Rastaban d) Alnilam. After mulling over probability for a bit, Claire decides to walk. She would've guessed Rastaban... and she would've been right.

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:58 am

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#7 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:03 am

Bob Juch wrote:Here's another take on her:

http://abovethelaw.com/2014/02/former-b ... ore-303829
From the article:
She attended Yale University and George Washington Law, and then snagged a position as a patent attorney at Foley & Lardner. Once she decided she’d had enough of her litigious lifestyle, she quit and became a teacher.

And then, something happened. Ogilvie is currently being held without bond at the Albemarle Charlottesville Regional Jail on charges of burglary, abduction, and malicious wounding, all felonies, after allegedly breaking into a married man’s house and attacking his wife.
Reading between the lines, people don't generally give up what a patent attorney makes in order to become a high school teacher. This may have been one of those "resign and we'll all keep quiet about it" situations.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#8 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:05 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
jarnon wrote:Meet Claire Ogilvie. She once graduated from Yale. She once won $50,000 on Millionaire. And she once was sane.
I wonder if working as a patent attorney contributed to her mental issues.
Hey! :evil: --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#9 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:26 am

Alas... she was early in my infamous run as MBFFB®, before I'd really made the character the sarcastic smartass I... er, he was. I was going to post The Brain's take on her stack, but it isn't anything special...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

christie1111
11:11

#10 Post by christie1111 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:59 pm

And they are not requesting bail so that is interesting.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

Rafferbee

#11 Post by Rafferbee » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:42 pm

Is it usual for defendant to request to stay in jail like that?

Snaxx

#12 Post by Snaxx » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:24 pm

I found there was a BBTranscriptTeam on the old Bored at the time... Maybe a reason to keep transcribing. :mrgreen:
Transcript 02/04/05 Claire Ogilvie
Author: BBTranscriptTeam

Claire Ogilvie
Washington, DC
Law Student

Meredith asked if she knew the last question of Grant's stack. Claire says she knew it, she has studied a lot because she did not want to waste this opportunity and she saw it twice in the course of her studies. Then Meredith asks how would she have done with Grant's stack and Claire says that she is convinced that she was destined to go in Grant's spot because she would have seen the $100,000 without having to use a single lifeline.

$100 - By definition, a SWAT team is a specially-trained group of whom?
A. Police officers B. School Administrators
C. Truck drivers D. Bug Killers

$200 - By definition, an ovate object is shaped like a what?
A. Pyramid B. Egg
C. Cone D. Heart

$300 - The TV series "LAX" is set in what L.A. location?
A. Shopping mall B. Police precinct
C. Radio station D. Airport

$500 - "Mouse potato" is a recently introduced slang term for someone who spends a lot of time doing what?
A. Driving a car B. Using cell phones
C. Using a computer D. Listening to the news

$1000 - Hot peppers and cheese are deep-fried to make a popular appetizer known as "jalapeno" what?
A. Poppers B. Gobblers
C. Tossers D. Snackers

$2000 - The internet domain suffix ".com" is a shortened form of what word?
A. Command B. Commercial
C. Computer D. Compartment

Claire will return a week from Monday, after Play to Pay for Your Wedding Week.

Answers:
$100 - A. Police officers
$200 - B. Egg
$300 - D. Airport
$500 - C. Using a computer
$1000 - A. Poppers
$2000 - B. Commercial

Transcript 02/14/05 Claire Ogilvie
Author: BBTranscriptTeam

Claire Ogilvie
Washington, DC
Law Student

Claire still has her 50/50, PAF and ATA.

$4K Bill Clinton's 1996 campaign prominently featured the theme "building a bridge to the" what?
A. Middle East
B. American dream
C. Children of America
D. 21st century

Claire was thinking "future", but since that is not one of the choices, she decides to...

ATA/AOL
2% - 7% A. Middle East
7% - 10% B. American dream
2% - 6% C. Children of America
89% - 77% D. 21st century

$8K The voltaic pile, made by Alessandro Volta in 1800 out of metal and wet cardboard was an early type of what?
A. Radio
B. Light bulb
C. Battery
D. Telegraph

$16K In which of these races do participants travel the farthest?
A. Tour de France
B. Ironman Triathlon
C. Iditarod Sled Dog Race
D. Indianapolis 500

50/50 leaves A. Tour de France and B. Ironman Triathlon.

$25K In his famous essay "Self-Reliance," who wrote "To be great is to be misunderstood"?
A. Henry David Thoreau
B. Mark Twain
C. Walt Whitman
D. Ralph Waldo Emerson

commercial break

When Claire was younger she lived in New York. She was in third or fourth grade when movie scouts came to her school looking for a young girl to play Barbara Hershey's daughter in "Beaches". The decision came down to Claire and the girl that got the part, Grace Johnston.

$50K Garrison Keillor named his radio show, "A Prairie Home Companion," after a what?
A. Book
B. Cemetery
C. Fly-fishing stream
D. Family farm

Claire has never heard of Garrison Keillor or the radio show, so she decides to...
STQ

$50K According to a D.O.J. study, about how many Americans were in prison, on probation or on parole in 2003?
A. 1.3 million
B. 2.5 million
C. 4.7 million
D. 6.9 million

Claire has the figure of 1% of the U.S. population in her head, but she does not know if that includes people on probation or parole, so she decides to ...

PAF

Claire does not give the choices after asking the question.
Michael, Claire's law professor, says "1 in 32 or 6.9 million adults" as time runs out.
Meredith says "You didn't even read him the answers and he said 6.9 million".
Claire is happy Meredith said this because she thought Michael said 3.9 million.

commercial break

$100K Which of these is not one of the three stars that form the belt in the constellation Orion?
A. Alnitak
B. Mintaka
C. Rastaban
D. Alnilam

Claire is not sure and decides to leave with $50K. She thinks it might be C. Rastaban.

Answers:
$4K D. 21st century
$8K C. Battery
$16K A. Tour de France
$25K D. Ralph Waldo Emerson
$50K B. Cemetery
$50K D. 6.9 million
$100K C. Rastaban
---
Winner of 2011 Sports Madness :mrgreen:

Estonut
Evil Genius

#13 Post by Estonut » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:25 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:Alas... she was early in my infamous run as MBFFB®, before I'd really made the character the sarcastic smartass I... er, he was. I was going to post The Brain's take on her stack, but it isn't anything special...
Wait. MBFFB® was you? Holy crap!!!11
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

jarnon

#14 Post by jarnon » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:07 am

Nobody picked up my little homage to Robin Williams.

Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Rafferbee

#15 Post by Rafferbee » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:53 am

I was wondering what happened to this case. She pled guilty and was sentenced to 50 years in prison (all but 4 suspended). http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/crime ... eaaa5.html

Bob Juch

#16 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:36 am

Rafferbee wrote:I was wondering what happened to this case. She pled guilty and was sentenced to 50 years in prison (all but 4 suspended). http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/crime ... eaaa5.html
Roanoke.com wrote:Rather than risk it all for the $1 million jackpot, Claire Ogilvie took the sure $50,000 and walked away.

Sitting in the bright lights of the hit TV game show “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire” on Feb. 14, 2005, the 26-year-old law student bagged the money after correctly answering a question about the number of Americans behind bars.
Add one more. I hope she's gotten help or she's going to go back after she gets out. I've never heard of a probation that requires a person to leave the state.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Jeemie

#17 Post by Jeemie » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:17 pm

I'd not heard about this story, but when I saw the headline pop up on the Bored today, I thought "Who on the Bored has been on both J! and BAM..."

:twisted:
1979 City of Champions 2009

jaybee

#18 Post by jaybee » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:24 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Rafferbee wrote:I was wondering what happened to this case. She pled guilty and was sentenced to 50 years in prison (all but 4 suspended). http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/crime ... eaaa5.html
Roanoke.com wrote:Rather than risk it all for the $1 million jackpot, Claire Ogilvie took the sure $50,000 and walked away.

Sitting in the bright lights of the hit TV game show “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire” on Feb. 14, 2005, the 26-year-old law student bagged the money after correctly answering a question about the number of Americans behind bars.
Add one more. I hope she's gotten help or she's going to go back after she gets out. I've never heard of a probation that requires a person to leave the state.
Since the ruling stated that she must remain at least 100 miles from Charlottesville, and it sits smack-dab in the middle of Virginia, they might as well make it easy and ban her from the state entirely. 100 miles out only leaves the South-Western 'tail' of the state and a corner by Virginia Beach.
Jaybee

TheConfessor

#19 Post by TheConfessor » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:19 pm

jaybee wrote: Since the ruling stated that she must remain at least 100 miles from Charlottesville, and it sits smack-dab in the middle of Virginia, they might as well make it easy and ban her from the state entirely. 100 miles out only leaves the South-Western 'tail' of the state and a corner by Virginia Beach.
According to the article, they DID ban her from the state (after she's out of prison). Here's the quote:
Upon release from prison, Ogilvie must leave the state and live at least 100 miles from Charlottesville. Barring an emergency, she cannot stop within 100 miles of the city.
This appears to ban her from all of Virginia, and small portions of West Virginia and Maryland.

It also appears to say she can drive (or maybe even walk) anywhere she wants, as long as she doesn't stop. Which was probably not the intent.

SpacemanSpiff

#20 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:44 am

"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

smilergrogan

#21 Post by smilergrogan » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:33 am

TheConfessor wrote:It also appears to say she can drive (or maybe even walk) anywhere she wants, as long as she doesn't stop. Which was probably not the intent.
None of us can ever stop anywhere. We're all constantly moving with continental drift, the Earth's rotation, Earth's orbit, the Sun's orbit, the Milky Way's motion, the Universe's expansion.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#22 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:07 am

TheConfessor wrote:
jaybee wrote: Since the ruling stated that she must remain at least 100 miles from Charlottesville, and it sits smack-dab in the middle of Virginia, they might as well make it easy and ban her from the state entirely. 100 miles out only leaves the South-Western 'tail' of the state and a corner by Virginia Beach.
According to the article, they DID ban her from the state (after she's out of prison). Here's the quote:
Upon release from prison, Ogilvie must leave the state and live at least 100 miles from Charlottesville. Barring an emergency, she cannot stop within 100 miles of the city.
This appears to ban her from all of Virginia, and small portions of West Virginia and Maryland.

It also appears to say she can drive (or maybe even walk) anywhere she wants, as long as she doesn't stop. Which was probably not the intent.
My guess is that it was the intent. Maybe they were thinking about the shortest distance to a hypothetical destination between, just for example, Charlotte, NC and Annapolis, MD, going through the banned area.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Estonut
Evil Genius

#23 Post by Estonut » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:29 pm

I thought this thread was about this guy:

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/jeopardy-con ... 00812.html
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

zachhoran1

#24 Post by zachhoran1 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:53 pm

ANother former WWTBAM contestant in the news: LIsa McElroy, who won $5K on syndie WWTBAM in January 2010, has been suspended and accused to sending a hardcore porn link to her class at Drexel university.

Gary Glitter
Merry Man

#25 Post by Gary Glitter » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:30 am

Estonut wrote:I thought this thread was about this guy:

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/jeopardy-con ... 00812.html

HEY!!!
Da-da-da-duhnaduhnaduh....

HEY!!!!