We are back

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
PlacentiaSoccerMom

We are back

#1 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:19 am

We went from two days of flooding in New Orleans to this...

The flight home was interesting, we could see most of the fires from the air.

There is soot everywhere or is it dirt...it's just gross. One of our friends from San Diego, who was at the conference in NOLA, got a call that his wife and daughter were being evacuated. So far his house is ok and his family is ok.

My aunt fought the fire with a hose until the fire department told her to leave, her house is ok too. Our flight attendant told us that one of her co-workers lost her house and a pilot with a plane load of people was told that his house was being evacuated, so he left the plane and they had to find a new pilot.

Trees are down in our neighborhood and my friend Sylvia lost part of her roof and a palm tree.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#2 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:36 am

Yikes. Prayers and vibes flying your way. Keep safe.
Well, then

peacock2121

#3 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:38 am

So glad you are safe.

earendel

Re: We are back

#4 Post by earendel » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:12 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:We went from two days of flooding in New Orleans to this...

The flight home was interesting, we could see most of the fires from the air.

There is soot everywhere or is it dirt...it's just gross. One of our friends from San Diego, who was at the conference in NOLA, got a call that his wife and daughter were being evacuated. So far his house is ok and his family is ok.

My aunt fought the fire with a hose until the fire department told her to leave, her house is ok too. Our flight attendant told us that one of her co-workers lost her house and a pilot with a plane load of people was told that his house was being evacuated, so he left the plane and they had to find a new pilot.

Trees are down in our neighborhood and my friend Sylvia lost part of her roof and a palm tree.
Glad to see you survived the flooding in NOLA and to hear that things are (so far) OK at home. I've been absolutely dumbfounded watching the fires and the devastation that they have caused, not to mention the disruption of lives.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

fuzzywuzzy

#5 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:40 am

Welcome Back PSM!

Did the girls have a good time with Jeff's parents? What happened with your Mom?

fuzzy
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
— Mark Twain

"Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else."
- Judy Garland

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#6 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:11 pm

I wrote a long replay, but we lost power. I think that I am going to write short messsages and post them.

I think that dodgersteve is lot closer to the fires than we are. We have wind and I am cleaning up the debris from the wind. As my mother-in-law pointed out, my neighbors across the street all have clean lawns, because the wind blew it into my yard.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#7 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:14 pm

fuzzywuzzy wrote:Did the girls have a good time with Jeff's parents?
They did have a good time with Grandma and Grandpa and I think that they are tired from all of the driving they had to do. Plus Grandpa has bad allergies. It's funny we were worried about how he would react to having the cats around, but with the wind, dust and smoke he said that he didn't notice the cats. He actually likes Jasper, who he admits is more like a dog than a cat.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#8 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:16 pm

fuzzywuzzy wrote: What happened with your Mom?
Well, my mom called on Friday and Emma lied and told her that I was taking Maddie to piano lessons. Emma told me that she wanted me to have a good time on vacation, that I didn't need to have my mom trying to make me feel guilty for not letting her watch the girls. Jeff is proud of her for thinking on her feet, but I have mixed feelings about the whole situation.

I later called my mom back when I was walking through NOLA and when she asked if I was walking, I said yes, but I didn't tell her where.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#9 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:21 pm

I was really happy that I chose to go to NOLA (even as I am digging through a pile of laundry and soot.)

The last night we were in the city, Jeff and I went to a bookstore in Chartres Street and bought a 1920's print from Germany for his parents. As we checked out, the clerk was incredibly gracious, saying that our sale made his day. We only spent $100 but I think that he hadn't done any business all day.

My own suspicion is that the touristy merchants on the main streets are doing better than the smaller merchants in out of the way corners of the French Quarter. I spent more in the city than I planned (hopefully Jeff isn't reading this note) but I was able to support several smaller stores and artisans and buy some gifts for the holidays.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#10 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:26 pm

One of the nicer advantages to the lack of people was that we were able to walk in to some of the fancier restaurants without reservations and get tables.

On our last night, we ate at NOLA, a place we had visited 11 years before. We walked in around 7:00 and got a table and the service was impeccable. We ordered the tasting menu which included Duck Risotto, Macaroni and Cheese, Ribs and Sweet Potato Pie and I thought that the food and service was better than at Emeril's flagship restaurant, Emeril's.

Even though I walked more than usual, I am not going to weigh myself for a couple of days.

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:44 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote: Well, my mom called on Friday and Emma lied and told her that I was taking Maddie to piano lessons. Emma told me that she wanted me to have a good time on vacation, that I didn't need to have my mom trying to make me feel guilty for not letting her watch the girls. Jeff is proud of her for thinking on her feet, but I have mixed feelings about the whole situation.

I later called my mom back when I was walking through NOLA and when she asked if I was walking, I said yes, but I didn't tell her where.
Sounds like your conversation confirmed Emma's judgement during her conversation, mixed feelings and all.

You can fess up now that you're home, if your conscience is bothering you about it.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#12 Post by T_Bone0806 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:18 pm

Good to see you guys are ok
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Bixby17

#13 Post by Bixby17 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:35 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:One of the nicer advantages to the lack of people was that we were able to walk in to some of the fancier restaurants without reservations and get tables.

On our last night, we ate at NOLA, a place we had visited 11 years before. We walked in around 7:00 and got a table and the service was impeccable. We ordered the tasting menu which included Duck Risotto, Macaroni and Cheese, Ribs and Sweet Potato Pie and I thought that the food and service was better than at Emeril's flagship restaurant, Emeril's.

Even though I walked more than usual, I am not going to weigh myself for a couple of days.
mmmmm NOLA.

Did you get the wine pairings? I was absolutely blown away with the quality of their wine pairings with the tasting menu.

I am glad you and yours are ok.