Transcript 04/01/2008 Amy Burgard

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 04/01/2008 Amy Burgard

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:52 pm

Amy Burgard
Santa Barbara, CA

Her husband said he could not make it, but showed up by surprise. She does pub quiz (NTN I suppose) each week. She is very superstitious, and deliberately came with mismatched underwear for good luck.

$100- The wildly popular pro golfer Eldrick Woods is better known by what famous nickname?
A. Scooter B. Tiger
C. Lefty D. Moneybags

$200- Which of these adjectives best describe the complexion of a person with a "baby face"?
A. Smooth and round B. Rough and hairy
C. Old and wrinkly D. Dry and flaky

$300- What popular dish's name is pronounced exactly like that of a well-known brand of pasta sauce?
A. Quiche B. Paella
C. Gumbo D. Ragout

(note: Meredith pronounces this correctly for the contestant)

$500- Phonetically speaking, how many whole numbers between one and ten have names with more than one syllable?
A. 0 B. 1
C. 2 D. 3

$1000- By definition, which of these types of artwork is designed to be suspended in midair?
A. Fresco B. Bas-relief
C. Mobile D. Mosaic

$2000- What medical tool acts as the forward slash in the logo for the hit TV show "Nip/Tuck"?
A. Clamp B. Stethoscope
C. Forceps D. Scalpel

$4000- Named for its distinctive shape, a porkpie is an old-fashioned type of what fashion accessory?
A. Hat B. Belt buckle
C. Glove D. Brooch

$8000- Jazz musician and inventor Les Paul is known as the father of what musical innovation?
A. Loudspeakers B. Electric guitar
C. Wireless microphone D. Electronic synthesizer

She mentioned guitar, then used ATA

ATA: A-1% B-82% C-5% D- 12%

Commercial break

$16,000
Which of these destinations is not considered part of the French Riviera?
A. Cannes B. Saint Tropez
C. Nice D. Toulouse

$25,000
In Congress, what colorful nickname refers to an influential group of fiscally conservative Democrats?
A. Blue Dog Democrats B. Brown Bear Democrats
C. Red Cat Democrats D. White Rabbit Democrats

PAF- David guesses A but not sure

50/50 left A & C.

Commercial Break

Amy says she has $40K in student loans and her car is dying.

$50,000
Co-winner of the Nobel Peace Prize in 1996, Jose Ramos-Horta was elected president of what country in 2007?
A. Guinea-Bissau B. Ecuador
C. East Timor D. Cambodia

No idea so STQ

STQ $50K
Which of these countries is named after a Native American chieftain?
A. Guyana B. Argentina
C. Nicaragua D. Venezuela

Amy guesses correctly and will return tomorrow looking at the $100K question. Meredith says she will also come in mismatched underwear.

Answers:
$100- B. Tiger
$200- A. Smooth and round
$300- D. Ragout
$500- B. 1
$1000- C. Mobile
$2000- D. Scalpel
$4000- A. Hat
$8000- B. Electric guitar
$16K- D. Toulouse
$25K- A. Blue Dog Democrats
$50K- C. East Timor
STQ $50K - C. Nicaragua

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 04/01/2008 Amy Burgard

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:51 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100- The wildly popular pro golfer Eldrick Woods is better known by what famous nickname?
A. Scooter B. Tiger
C. Lefty D. Moneybags
Hee hee hee... there's Eldrick again, fresh from my recent QoD on government names. :D
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8000- Jazz musician and inventor Les Paul is known as the father of what musical innovation?
A. Loudspeakers B. Electric guitar
C. Wireless microphone D. Electronic synthesizer

She mentioned guitar, then used ATA
<grumble>®

$25K: I knew this one immediately cuz my congressional representative, Ben Chandler, is a Blue Dog.

$50K: I ws looking for Timor-Leste, but East Timor is just fine.

$50K #2: I'm glad I never would've seen this question. I would've said Venezuela.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Amy guesses correctly and will return tomorrow looking at the $100K question. Meredith says she will also come in mismatched underwear.
TMI, Meredith.

jarnon

#3 Post by jarnon » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:28 am

$2K Don't watch the show, but I know it's about plastic surgeons, so scalpel makes sense.

$4K No idea. ATA

$50K Jose Ramos-Horta doesn't sound Cambodian. Leaning toward East Timor. 50/50

STQ $50K Glad I wouldn't see this Q. Leaning toward Venezuela. Never heard of Nick Aragua.

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:34 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Amy Burgard
Santa Barbara, CA

Her husband said he could not make it, but showed up by surprise. She does pub quiz (NTN I suppose) each week. She is very superstitious, and deliberately came with mismatched underwear for good luck.
That last comes under the heading of TMI.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50,000
Co-winner of the Nobel Peace Prize in 1996, Jose Ramos-Horta was elected president of what country in 2007?
A. Guinea-Bissau B. Ecuador
C. East Timor D. Cambodia
Definitely not Cambodia. Guinea-Bissau was colonized by the Portugese, but "Jose" is Spanish ("Joao" is the Portugese equivalent, I think). Since I haven't used any lifelines yet it's time to pull one out. Try the 50/50 and see what's left. If it's B and C, then PAF.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:STQ $50K
Which of these countries is named after a Native American chieftain?
A. Guyana B. Argentina
C. Nicaragua D. Venezuela

Amy guesses correctly and will return tomorrow looking at the $100K question. Meredith says she will also come in mismatched underwear.
Tough question and congratulations to Amy for guessing correctly. I wouldn't have seen this question but had I done so I probably would have missed it. I know that Argentina is from the Latin word "argentum", meaning silver. And I would have thought that the "agua" in Nicaragua was for "water", so I'd have gone with "Venezuela". Turns out that the "agua" is "water" and the rest of the name is from the name of the tribe that inhabited the area.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:36 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Amy guesses correctly and will return tomorrow looking at the $100K question. Meredith says she will also come in mismatched underwear.
TMI, Meredith.
At least she'll be wearing underwear - I understand she's been knwon to go commando.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."