What would you do?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
fuzzywuzzy

What would you do?

#1 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:38 am

If you got a message from a person that you went to High School with, but never hung around or was "freinds" with?

Haven't seen or heard from this person in 28 years...

She was in the "Inclique" during HS.

I was NOT a member of that clique...I was a member of the band/chorus/theatre geeks clique. And, we probably had more fun than her group did! We were crazy kids back then.

I am perplexed!

fuzzy :wink:
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
— Mark Twain

"Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else."
- Judy Garland

earendel

Re: What would you do?

#2 Post by earendel » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:41 am

fuzzywuzzy wrote:If you got a message from a person that you went to High School with, but never hung around or was "freinds" with?

I was NOT a member of that clique...I was a member of the band/chorus/theatre geeks clique. And, we probably had more fun than her group did! We were crazy kids back then.

I am perplexed!

I suppose it would depend upon the contents of the message. If it was a request to borrow money, I'd be dubious. If it was a request to "renew old friendships" I'd be equally dubious (you don't describe much of a connection). Maybe it's a way to verify your e-mail address so that you can be notified about a class reunion.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

fuzzywuzzy

#3 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:45 am

I suppose it would depend upon the contents of the message. If it was a request to borrow money, I'd be dubious. If it was a request to "renew old friendships" I'd be equally dubious (you don't describe much of a connection). Maybe it's a way to verify your e-mail address so that you can be notified about a class reunion.[/quote]

Our class really sux at the reunion deal. We really haven't had a good one, so, I don't think that is it...

No money or anything has been soliticed as of yet...

I'll keep you posted earendel! 8)

fuzzy
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
— Mark Twain

"Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else."
- Judy Garland

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#4 Post by silvercamaro » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:55 am

fuzzywuzzy wrote:If you got a message from a person that you went to High School with, but never hung around or was "freinds" with?

I would answer, out of curiosity. Perhaps she always liked and admired you more than you realized. Perhaps she wants to make amends for some slight she perceives that was made toward you long ago. Perhaps she has experienced a recent trauma or been given a diagnosis of a dire disease and, as a result, simply wants to reach out to as many as possible of the people she's ever known.

I've discovered that some folks I didn't know or like so well in high school have grown up into some mighty good friends in adulthood.

fuzzywuzzy

#5 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:59 am

I would answer, out of curiosity. Perhaps she always liked and admired you more than you realized. Perhaps she wants to make amends for some slight she perceives that was made toward you long ago. Perhaps she has experienced a recent trauma or been given a diagnosis of a dire disease and, as a result, simply wants to reach out to as many as possible of the people she's ever known.

I've discovered that some folks I didn't know or like so well in high school have grown up into some mighty good friends in adulthood.[/quote]

sc, now those are some interesting thoughts on the subject. There are a couple of people that I did go to HS with, who, unfortunately, didn't turn out so well.

One of them, was a good friend, who took advantage of me. I feel that I have been vindicated a little, since no one who we went to school with will talk with her now. :wink:
— Mark Twain

- Judy Garland

peacock2121

#6 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:17 pm

I'd respond in a heartbeat.

I would not promise any further contact if it seems odd once we spoke.

christie1111
11:11

#7 Post by christie1111 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:41 pm

I am perplexed!

So did you respond at all? I would be curious but agree that I would end contact if there seemed to be some kind of 'hook' associated with it.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

hermillion
Bored Millionaire

#8 Post by hermillion » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:41 pm

I have a group of girlfriends from elementary days who have stayed in close contact for decades. We have been bridesmaids, maids of honor, birthing coaches, godmothers, illness/death of parent support, divorce counselors, etc. through the years. At our 30th(!!) H.S. reunion a girl who had been in the IN clique came over to apologize to us for being such a snot to us during our middle- and high-school years. Said she realized now that we were fun and funny, and envied the closeness we had managed to maintain.

My closest friend among the bunch is the "grandmother" of Chuck the Pig. She and I, her daughter, and my Darling Daughter are having a 2nd Generation Girls Weekend in NYC in November. Next June the whole group will be visiting Alaska together.

I'd say return the message. The woman may have bridges to mend.
"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant a tree; if in terms of a hundred years, teach the people." - Confucious

"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn." -- John Cotton Dana

BackInTex

#9 Post by BackInTex » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:47 pm

Was the message simialr to this...

"Phil? Phil Connors? Phil Connors, I thought that was you!

Hey now, don't you tell me you don't remember me 'cause I sure as heckfire remember you.

Ned... Ryerson. "Needlenose Ned"? "Ned the Head"? C'mon, buddy. Case Western High. I did the whistling belly-button trick at the high school talent show? Bing. Ned Ryerson, got the shingles real bad senior year, almost didn't graduate? Bing, again. Ned Ryerson, I dated your sister Mary Pat a couple of times until you told me not to anymore? Well?
"

Maybe she wants to invite you to a scented candle party.

TheCalvinator24

#10 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:48 pm

BackInTex wrote:Maybe she wants to invite you to a scented candle party.
Or an AMWAY meeting.

:)
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

themanintheseersuckersuit

#11 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:01 pm

[mynameisearl] maybe she has this list...[/mnie]
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

fuzzywuzzy

Ok, having a senior moment, and I am NOT referring to HS!

#12 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:13 am

Everyday seems like I am laughing at myself more and more.

I e-mailed the person I was telling you all about yesterday. That yes, I remembered her, and described her in an e-mail. Told her what I do, and where I live.
:oops:
So, I woke up this morning, thinking about the person who e-mailed me...I was totally wrong on who I thought she was!! :oops:

Now, I am NOT using a yearbook to back up my memory... mistake #1.

I thought she was this popular chick who...yadayadayada!

Not at all...I NOW remember her to be a quiet person, and didn't really know her well at all.

SO...hey, if any of you need a good laugh, just stick around, I am due to have another senior moment any time now. :D

We have a name for moments like these...

another Kelly Classic!

Fuzzy :oops:
— Mark Twain

- Judy Garland

fuzzywuzzy

hermillion...you are blessed!

#13 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:26 am

hermillion wrote:I have a group of girlfriends from elementary days who have stayed in close contact for decades. We have been bridesmaids, maids of honor, birthing coaches, godmothers, illness/death of parent support, divorce counselors, etc. through the years. At our 30th(!!) H.S. reunion a girl who had been in the IN clique came over to apologize to us for being such a snot to us during our middle- and high-school years. Said she realized now that we were fun and funny, and envied the closeness we had managed to maintain.
nancy...You are so blessed to have your close friends for all these years!

That is what my Mom had with 2 of her childhood girlfriends. They have both passed away...one of whom was my Mom's maid of Honor and my Godmother - she passed away this past March. In fact, her 66th birthday would have been on 10/13. I wrote a letter to her whole family and my Mom telling them how much she meant to me. They had a party in her honor that day. :D

fuzzy
— Mark Twain

- Judy Garland

MarleysGh0st

Re: Ok, having a senior moment, and I am NOT referring to HS

#14 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:04 am

fuzzywuzzy wrote: I thought she was this popular chick who...yadayadayada!

Not at all...I NOW remember her to be a quiet person, and didn't really know her well at all.
<sigh>

Nobody ever remembers the invisible kids.

So do you have any clue why she contacted you, yet?

fuzzywuzzy

Re: Ok, having a senior moment, and I am NOT referring to HS

#15 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:16 am

So do you have any clue why she contacted you, yet?[/quote]

She hasn't replied to my e-mail as of yet. I'll let you know when the mystery has been solved.

She may not answer me, now that I totally mixed her up with someone else! :oops:

I wouldn't blame her....

fuzzy
— Mark Twain

- Judy Garland