I got a call from Obama's campaign today

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

I got a call from Obama's campaign today

#1 Post by kayrharris » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:42 am

They want money. I answered an "unknown caller" this AM as calls on my home phone from Europe show up that way. Since I thought it might be a call from Spain, I answered. She called me by someone else's name. I told her I wasn't that person, but she didn't care.

I let her go on and on & then told her I don't give money to political campaigns. She promptly hung up on me! :shock: Not so much as a thank you for listening. How rude!
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

NellyLunatic1980

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:51 am

I've donated to Obama's campaign several times in the last year, but I'll give money only through the mail or Internet and never over the phone. When the Obama campaign called me after he won South Carolina, I told the caller that I would not give a donation over the phone. She promptly offered to send me a contribution form through the mail, which I agreed to.

earendel

Re: I got a call from Obama's campaign today

#3 Post by earendel » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:00 am

kayrharris wrote:They want money. I answered an "unknown caller" this AM as calls on my home phone from Europe show up that way. Since I thought it might be a call from Spain, I answered. She called me by someone else's name. I told her I wasn't that person, but she didn't care.

I let her go on and on & then told her I don't give money to political campaigns. She promptly hung up on me! :shock: Not so much as a thank you for listening. How rude!
I got two robo-calls from the Clinton campaign last week inviting me to the rally at one of the local high schools. I declined to go, not the least because of the crowds I figured would be there. I have never been asked for a contribution over the phone.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#4 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:22 am

I donate every few weeks on the internet. There was a period of time where I didn't donate and I started getting the phone calls, but I asked them to stop calling.

peacock2121

#5 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:44 am

Maybe that is the mystery.

I have been getting daily calls from 'unknown caller' - many days 4 or 5 times. I have waited them out thinking that at some point, they will either leave a message or stop calling.

I bet it is some political call.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#6 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:58 am

peacock2121 wrote:Maybe that is the mystery.

I have been getting daily calls from 'unknown caller' - many days 4 or 5 times. I have waited them out thinking that at some point, they will either leave a message or stop calling.

I'm sure it is. If you answer it, you can ask them not to call you again.

peacock2121

#7 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:03 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:

I'd rather play with them and not answer. Let them waste time.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#8 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:06 am

peacock2121 wrote:

If they call, you can pick up the phone and when they ask for you say, "hold on a minute" and just let the phone sit there for five minutes. After a while they will stop calling you.

peacock2121

#9 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:16 am

peacock2121 wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote: I'm sure it is. If you answer it, you can ask them not to call you again.
If they call, you can pick up the phone and when they ask for you say, "hold on a minute" and just let the phone sit there for five minutes. After a while they will stop calling you.
LOL - That would be very mean and very funny.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#10 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:21 am

peacock2121 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote: I'd rather play with them and not answer. Let them waste time.
LOL - That would be very mean and very funny.
:)

Well, the auto-dialers are probably calling you, so you aren't wasting anyone's time by not answering. This way, you waste an actual person's time.

gsabc

#11 Post by gsabc » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:46 am

And it won't help. I've lost track of how many times I've told McCain's Beggars to put their phone in the same place from which their candidate speaks. I keep getting calls. I never used to screen my calls. I do now.

Charities are the same way. They're all like stray cats. Feed one, and not only does that one keep coming back, it brings dozens of friends looking for the same handout.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

peacock2121

#12 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:07 pm

gsabc wrote:

Charities are the same way. They're all like stray cats. Feed one, and not only does that one keep coming back, it brings dozens of friends looking for the same handout.
That cracked me up.

I shall steal it.

And use it like it was my own.

Bob Juch

#13 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:23 pm

Today I got a call from the "Policeman's Benefit Association" saying they would "give" me a decal for my auto for a donation of, IIRC, $25, $15, or $10. When I asked them to send me their material in the mail, he hung up.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.