Transcript 4/2/08 Jan LePage

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 4/2/08 Jan LePage

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:10 am

Jan LePage
Raymore, MO
8th-grade history teacher (inspired by Oprah to become a teacher)

100 - Which of these bodies of water is named for the fact that most living things cannot survive in it?

A Mississippi River
B Dead Sea
C Indian Ocean
D Relationship Lake

200 - Which of these leisure activities traditionally involves the use of a vehicle filled with straw?

A museum tour
B rock climbing
C hayride
D kayaking

300 - Lovable misfits use their brains to outsmart fraternity bullies in the 1984 classic "Revenge of the" what?

A Brats
B Dweebs
C Rascals
D Nerds

500 - "Satan should be her name" is a lyric from a hit 1961 song with what title?

A Sister-in-Law
B Daughter-in-Law
C Mother-in-Law
D Niece-in-Law

1K - Which of these well-known proverbs features the names of two popular U.S. magazines?

A Time is money
B Ignorance is bliss
C Silence is golden
D Love is blind

2K - Which of these famous Alfreds was best-known for being a poet?

A Alfred Kinsey
B Alfred, Lord Tennyson
C Alfred Hitchcock
D Alfred Nobel

4K - What U.S. landmark exists today as a result of the Boulder Canyon Project Act of 1928?

A Crazy Horse Memorial
B Gateway Arch
C Sears Tower
D Hoover Dam

8K - Rapper and actor Mos Def takes his name from a slang phrase that includes a shortened version of what word?

A defunct
B definitely
C defensive
D defiant

Jan chances a wrong answer, and drops to 1K.

100 B Dead Sea
200 C hayride
300 D Nerds
500 C Mother-in-Law
1K A Time is money
2K B Alfred, Lord Tennyson
4K D Hoover Dam
8K B definitely

NellyLunatic1980

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:55 am

Nihil obstat®

earendel

Re: Transcript 4/2/08 Jan LePage

#3 Post by earendel » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:30 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Jan LePage
Raymore, MO
8th-grade history teacher (inspired by Oprah to become a teacher)
I always root for teachers. Meredith said that Jan's students had put together a "big book of facts" for her to study.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:300 - Lovable misfits use their brains to outsmart fraternity bullies in the 1984 classic "Revenge of the" what?

A Brats
B Dweebs
C Rascals
D Nerds
Not a bad movie, but there should never have been any sequals.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:1K - Which of these well-known proverbs features the names of two popular U.S. magazines?

A Time is money
B Ignorance is bliss
C Silence is golden
D Love is blind
There's something oddly amusing about the thought of a magazine called "Ignorance". :)
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:8K - Rapper and actor Mos Def takes his name from a slang phrase that includes a shortened version of what word?

A defunct
B definitely
C defensive
D defiant

That's a shame, but given some rappers' attitudes, "D" wasn't a totally bad guess.

Nihil obstat® for me.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

peacock2121

#4 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:29 am

Poor lady. She was crushed.

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:48 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: 500 - "Satan should be her name" is a lyric from a hit 1961 song with what title?

A Sister-in-Law
B Daughter-in-Law
C Mother-in-Law
D Niece-in-Law
Okay, LS experts, is this old song so famous that it's only a $500 question or was this one of those more obscure first tier questions that you just have to go with the obvious answer on?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:8K - Rapper and actor Mos Def takes his name from a slang phrase that includes a shortened version of what word?

A defunct
B definitely
C defensive
D defiant

With all her lifelines on the table. Ouch!

And I know nothing about Mos Def or rapper slang, but looking at the choices, the thought popped into my brain that this looked like an abbreviation of "most definitely". And sitting comfortably at home, I felt so strongly about this that I wanted to go with that answer without using the ATA. Would I have been so crazy in the Hot Seat? On a rapper slang question???

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

#6 Post by etaoin22 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:58 am

Mildly surprised, (or should I say mil sur) to find a somewhat misogynistic and old rock song at the D level.

D in Rome.

But it is a great song, from the late great Ernie K-Doe of New Orleans; I think I remember seeing pics of his costumes from his later performing years. , I wonder if any BB ever saw his show live.

And, he was no relation to the ungreat Samuel K. Doe of Liberia, whom I think is either also deceased, ( or- maybe -in the earthly limbo reserved for superannuated African tyrants).

tanstaafl2

#7 Post by tanstaafl2 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:39 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: 500 - "Satan should be her name" is a lyric from a hit 1961 song with what title?

A Sister-in-Law
B Daughter-in-Law
C Mother-in-Law
D Niece-in-Law
Okay, LS experts, is this old song so famous that it's only a $500 question or was this one of those more obscure first tier questions that you just have to go with the obvious answer on?
As a verified LS non-expert I can say that I did not know it. But the answer seemed pretty obvious...
MarleysGh0st wrote:

A defunct
B definitely
C defensive
D defiant

With all her lifelines on the table. Ouch!

And I know nothing about Mos Def or rapper slang, but looking at the choices, the thought popped into my brain that this looked like an abbreviation of "most definitely". And sitting comfortably at home, I felt so strongly about this that I wanted to go with that answer without using the ATA. Would I have been so crazy in the Hot Seat? On a rapper slang question???
The correct answer certainly seemed the obvious one but not having any real clue about the answer beyond that it seemed the most obvious and given that at 8K the ATA starts to rapidly lose its value I probably would have checked myself by using it here.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh