It's my turn to sweat- job cuts coming...

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#26 Post by silvercamaro » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:17 am

Holy moly! I am so sorry that so many have to go through this crud. May each of you bounce into a more profitable situation with less stress.

The only advantage of being, as Jayhawker would put it, "an old broad," is that I now am officially retired, so the bastidges can't hurt me any more. Of course, a different set of bastidges may yet screw up all the pension plans and retract the paid health insurance and shut down Social Security, but we'll fall off those bridges when they come.

Sir_Galahad

Re: It's my turn to sweat- job cuts coming...

#27 Post by Sir_Galahad » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:23 pm

Jeemie wrote:...and my boss informed us all that our department will be faced with "a significant task" (love the euphamism!)

I'll most likely know next week.
Sorry to hear this Jeemie. I, too, know how it feels having been with three companies in a three-year succession that went thought it (how lucky can one person be?) And just before we moved to SC, I knew it was coming again but opted out on my own and got a nice severance package. But, in the end, it all worked out as the only one that can fire me now is me. And, I don't see that happening any time soon.

I wish you better fortune in your next position.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

Jeemie

Thanks for all the kind wishes

#28 Post by Jeemie » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:49 pm

And sorry to hear some of the other stories- especially you, Kahoona- I didn't realize things got so rough. Hope you get back on your feet and soon!

Things look brighter today. First of all, I'm still here- my ID badge still works!

Secondly, not having gotten out the network apparatus in a while, I ws surprised to realize how many people I still know both here and at other companies. Today I applied for 5 jobs (2 internal, 3 out), got my CV submitted to a great company by a friend, networked with a neighbor who works at yet another company, and contacted someone who worked for me as a temp who's now at another company, and he agreed to help as well.

Sure, nothing's really changed, but everything has...because I'm in a much better position to deal with anything that may happen than I was 13 years ago the last time I went through this (although even there it worked out).

So even though nothing's happened yet, I feel better because I'm doing things about it rather than sitting still and waiting for it to happen.

What actually happens with my current job seems almost as if it'll be anti-climatic.

Although it's strange- I have a team face-to-face in the UK next week- am wondering whether I'll actaully still have to go. Interesting to plan for a meeting you might not be still around for!
1979 City of Champions 2009

ghostjmf

#29 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:08 pm

I'm so sorry, Mike. I'd read about the pending stuff at the time but hoped against hope for a "house keeping" outcome nevertheless.

I guess I am supposed to be happy I'm still at my "its not broke, but they're fixing it anyway" in-process-of-painful-reorg job. When they called us in to tell us "don't worry, we aren't firing you, we're just reorganizing you beyond recognition" it was actually the 1st time we heard they were actually thinking of firing us; stupid us.

Now if I can just hang on with my thumbs to the institution for 9 more years, & collect the fairly decent pension. I would still have to work somewhere until I drop to supplement it anyway, but it would be nice to actually get what they'll give me in 9 years instead of the pittance I'd get now.

Good luck. Maybe they expect us all to move to India, & gets jobs there based on our incredibly good command of English.

MVLease

#30 Post by MVLease » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:22 am

Thanks for the well-wishes from everyone (BTW, the "Sweet" was supposed to be Sarcafont(tm); it is Bold+Italic, isn't it?). The creditors' meeting got continued (to Dec. 14) because our attorney had written the wrong date on his calendar. We were waiting our turn, with no sign of the attorney, so I went out and called his office to find out WTF? Soon after I returned, our case was called, and we had to tell the trustee what had happened. Fortunately, he was nice about it. But I wasted a morning I could have been sleeping.... :x

-MVL
If Nietzsche is right, "That which does not kill me makes me stronger", I'm due to be fitted for a coffin or a cape any day now....

MarleysGh0st

#31 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:05 am

MVLease wrote:Thanks for the well-wishes from everyone (BTW, the "Sweet" was supposed to be Sarcafont(tm); it is Bold+Italic, isn't it?).
Yep. That's still Sarcafont(tm). Pretty easy to do with the font buttons on this Bored.

And a big <grumble>® to your lawyer for messing up the court date! :evil:

earendel

#32 Post by earendel » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:08 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
MVLease wrote:Thanks for the well-wishes from everyone (BTW, the "Sweet" was supposed to be Sarcafont(tm); it is Bold+Italic, isn't it?).
Yep. That's still Sarcafont(tm). Pretty easy to do with the font buttons on this Bored.

And a big <grumble>® to your lawyer for messing up the court date! :evil:
One thing I've noticed is that using the font buttons sometimes puts the code at the bottom of a message rather than the spot where the cursor is. This usually happens when trying to insert the code into a quote.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."