Senator Bob Menendez Indicted On Federal Corruption Charges

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Senator Bob Menendez Indicted On Federal Corruption Charges

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:24 pm

The U.S. Department of Justice has just indicted Senator Bob Menendez (D-NJ) on federal charges of public corruption. The indictment was not unexpected it was reported the DOJ was putting together a case weeks ago.

At the time, Sen. Menendez denied all wrongdoing.

Meanwhile, the right wing media and even Republican lawmakers claimed the upcoming indictment was payback for the New Jersey Senator's refusal to give Attorney General nominee Loretta Lynch a "yes" vote.

"After a more than two-year investigation," the Washington Post today reports, "Menendez faces charges for what prosecutors believe were improper efforts by Menendez to help Salomon Melgen, a Florida-based doctor who was also a contributor to Menendez’s campaigns and his longtime friend. Menendez intervened on Melgen’s behalf in a dispute with the federal regulators over Medicare charges and in a bid by Melgen to secure a port security contract in the Dominican Republic."
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

jarnon

Re: Senator Bob Menendez Indicted On Federal Corruption Char

#2 Post by jarnon » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:21 pm

If the charges are true, Menendez joins a notorious list of New Jersey Democrats.

In 2002, Senator Torricelli dropped out of his re-election race at the last minute, in scandal.

In 2004, Governor McGreevey resigned in scandal.

In 2010, former Senator and Governor Corzine became CEO of a multinational finance company. In less than two years, the company lost billions and went bankrupt.

The New Jersey Democratic Party rivals the one in Illinois for corruption.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:55 pm

So if a corporation does what Salomon Melgen supposedly did it's legal but if an individual does the exact same things it's illegal?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#4 Post by BackInTex » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:15 pm

..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:38 pm

Apples and grapes, not even oranges.

jarnon

#6 Post by jarnon » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:21 pm

After a long trial ended with a hung jury, the government has decided against a second trial, so Menendez walks.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#7 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:52 pm

jarnon wrote:After a long trial ended with a hung jury, the government has decided against a second trial, so Menendez walks.
In between, the judge acquitted Senator Menendez on six of the counts pending against him. The Justice Department attributes its decision to that judgment and to evidentiary rulings that the judge made.

The jury was reportedly split 10-2 in favor of acquittal. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#8 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:49 pm

The Senate Ethics Committee has issued a strong public admonishment to Senator Menendez. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#9 Post by BackInTex » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:47 pm

Bob78164 wrote:The Senate Ethics Committee has issued a strong public admonishment to Senator Menendez. --Bob
That will teach him!
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson