A near Pulitzer will have to do

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Ritterskoop

A near Pulitzer will have to do

#1 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:14 pm

Email today from the editor says we were a finalist for the Pulitzer Gold Medal for Public Service. The award went to The Washington Post's coverage of Walter Reed's treatment of Iraqi War veterans, which I am sure was well-deserved.

But to be one of the three finalists is a huge honor. It makes me think I may yet stay in the business.

Our series was on a home-builder (Beazer) who arranged financing for poor credit risk buyers. It's interesting, we just ran stories saying Charlotte is the only top-20 city in which home prices went UP last year (1.8%), and we had only 14% speculation buyers instead of the national average of 22%. But our paper found the flaw in the system even in a city where we weren't that bad off.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#2 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:17 pm

Congratulations to everyone who works for your paper. Now, if they would just let me read it on-line without having to register....

I edit to correct myself. I just checked, and the Charlotte Observer has loosened up access. Hurray!

TheCalvinator24

Re: A near Pulitzer will have to do

#3 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:22 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:Email today from the editor says we were a finalist for the Pulitzer Gold Medal for Public Service. The award went to The Washington Post's coverage of Walter Reed's treatment of Iraqi War veterans, which I am sure was well-deserved.

But to be one of the three finalists is a huge honor. It makes me think I may yet stay in the business.

Our series was on a home-builder (Beazer) who arranged financing for poor credit risk buyers. It's interesting, we just ran stories saying Charlotte is the only top-20 city in which home prices went UP last year (1.8%), and we had only 14% speculation buyers instead of the national average of 22%. But our paper found the flaw in the system even in a city where we weren't that bad off.
I thought I had read that home prices in Dallas went up. Maybe that was for the entire area. Not the city proper.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

NellyLunatic1980

#4 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:26 pm

It's an honor just to be nominated.

Oh, screw that cliched phrase--you should've won the damn thing. :)

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#5 Post by ulysses5019 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:05 pm

Dang, I figured it was for your use or near use of the phrase "Great Scott" for last weekend's golf tourney.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

Ritterskoop

#6 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:12 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:Dang, I figured it was for your use or near use of the phrase "Great Scott" for last weekend's golf tourney.
It turned out Scott was tied with Johnson Wagner, who is from Charlotte, and got all the headlines after that first day. But I did get to use Great Scott.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Ritterskoop

#7 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:30 pm

TheCalvinator24 wrote:
I thought I had read that home prices in Dallas went up. Maybe that was for the entire area. Not the city proper.
It's only 20 cities being tracked. And it was only for January 2008 compared to January 2007.

http://www.charlotte.com/business/story/552790.html
--------

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#8 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:03 pm

Congratulations on your near Pulitzer.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#9 Post by kayrharris » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:21 pm

Keep up the good work!
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#10 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:03 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:Email today from the editor says we were a finalist for the Pulitzer Gold Medal for Public Service. The award went to The Washington Post's coverage of Walter Reed's treatment of Iraqi War veterans, which I am sure was well-deserved.

I have a professional interest in the Beazer Homes story. Would you mind providing a link? Thanks. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Ritterskoop

#11 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:13 pm

Bob78164 wrote:I have a professional interest in the Beazer Homes story. Would you mind providing a link? Thanks. --Bob
It is a series of stories - a bunch of them. But they are all on this link.

http://www.charlotte.com/523

Part of what won us some other awards is the interactive map.
--------

TheCalvinator24

#12 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:31 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
TheCalvinator24 wrote:
It's only 20 cities being tracked. And it was only for January 2008 compared to January 2007.

http://www.charlotte.com/business/story/552790.html
Dallas is listed in the article as one of the cities holding up better with only a 3.3% decline. I'm pretty sure the metroplex as a whole has held steady or gained a touch. I also recently read that the Dallas home market is one of the few in the country that is considered undervalued right now.

Anyway, that's not really the point of this thread, so let me shut up and say,

CONGRATULATIONS!
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

Snaxx

#13 Post by Snaxx » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:25 pm

Nice thing for you to know. Congrats on the nomination!

---
Winner of 2011 Sports Madness :mrgreen:

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#14 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:27 pm

I heard the Walter Reed announcement during "drive time" on the radio and commented to myself (I often have conversations with myself when I'm driving by myself -- very erudite and entertaining, they are), "Good choice."

That was before I knew about your story. You guys shoulda won.

Well done!
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Flybrick

#15 Post by Flybrick » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:20 am

Wow, that's the big leagues!

Well done!

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#16 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:26 am

Bob Dylan won a Pulitzer Prize for his "profound impact on popular music and American culture, marked by lyrical compositions of extraordinary poetic power."

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5idO6 ... QD8VTLH1O0

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#17 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:45 pm

USC's Annnenberg School of Journalism gave out it's Selden Ring Award to Anne Hull and Dana Priest, the Washington Post writers who won the Pulitzer for their Walter Reed story. I was lucky enough to hear them (and photograph them) today as they spoke to journalism students. It was fascinating to hear how the story unfolded for them.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

peacock2121

#18 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:42 am

Stay in the business because it lights you up, because you are fulfilled and love what you do.

I know that getting awards is a great thing and an indication that you are making a difference and all, and I know you do that, and in your heart of hearts, if you don't know you do that - move on - awards or not.

That came out way more preachier than I intended. I know you will hear my sentiment.