Transcript 04/07/08 Patrick Fernan

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 04/07/08 Patrick Fernan

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:13 pm

Patrick Fernan
McFarland, WI
DMV worker

$100 What was the answer to the 2007 U.S. citizenship test question “What is the highest court in the U.S.?”
A. The Supreme Court
B. The Maximum Court
C. The Foremost Court
D. Roberts and the Funky Bunch

$200 In drawings, the nursery rhyme character Humpty Dumpty traditionally resembles a giant what?
A. Flower
B. Light bulb
C. Acorn
D. Egg

$300 What is the title of the real estate-themed board game that comes in a box reading “You’re Fired!”?
A. Trump: The Game
B. Madonna: The Game
C. Cheney: The Game
D. Gonzales: The Game

$500 By definition, a doctor specializing in geriatrics primarily treats problems relating to what?
A. Athletic injuries
B. Aging
C. Pregnancy
D. Diet & nutrition

$1K When it launched in 1964, what fast-food chain served only roast beef sandwiches, potato chips, and beverages?
A. Arby’s
B. Roy Rogers
C. Hardee’s
D. Popeyes

$2K In his 2003 hit “In Da Club,” rapper 50 Cent promises, “We gon’ party like it’s your” what?
A. Anniversary
B. Prom night
C. Birthday
D. Wedding

ATA
2% A. Anniversary
8% B. Prom night
87% C. Birthday
3% D. Wedding

$4K Meaning “they go out,” what Latin term do playwrights use to indicate that actors should leave the stage?
A. Ex cathedra
B. Exeunt
C. Exempli gratia
D. Ex parte

$8K At a recycling plant, which of these materials would be categorized as either “ferrous” or “nonferrous”?
A. Plastic bottles
B. Glass
C. Newspapers
D. Scrap metal

commercial break

$16K In 1881, the infamous Gunfight at the O.K. Corral took place in a city that is now part of what state?
A. Arizona
B. Colorado
C. Oklahoma
D. New Mexico

PAF – Pat, a good friend. She is a schoolteacher in Wisconsin.

You can hear Pat repeating the question and answers to someone else.
With six seconds remaining she says Arizona.
Patrick asks, “How sure?.”
At three seconds, she says 80% and with one second left, she says 100%.

$25K Which of these ‘90s movies was not adapted from a novel by Michael Crichton?
A. Disclosure
B. Sphere
C. Outbreak
D. Congo

50/50 leaves A. Disclosure and C. Outbreak.

Patrick had been leaning toward B. Sphere.
He makes A. Disclosure his final answer.
The audience starts to applaud.
Patrick leaves with $1K.

Answers:
$100 A. The Supreme Court
$200 D. Egg
$300 A. Trump: The Game
$500 B. Aging
$1K A. Arby’s
$2K C. Birthday
$4K B. Exeunt
$8K D. Scrap metal
$16K A. Arizona
$25K C. Outbreak

Kazoo65

re: transcript 4/7/08 Patrick Fernan

#2 Post by Kazoo65 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:42 pm

That $25K was tough. ATA and hope. If that doesn't help, it's time to PaF.
I'm just a game show nerd.

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 04/07/08 Patrick Fernan

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:44 am

$4K: Is it exeunt or ex parte? Better ATA...

$25K: I knew that "Sphere" and "Congo" were Crichton novels. I couldn't remember if "Outbreak" was written by Crichton or Robin Cook. I read "Outbreak" in high school and I was leaning toward Cook being the author. PAF should know for sure. I cringed when the audience applauded after Patrick locked in "Disclosure" cuz of my instinct that Crichton did not write "Outbreak".

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:31 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Patrick Fernan
McFarland, WI
DMV worker
I've spent some time in Wisconsin but don't know where Mcfarland is.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$300 What is the title of the real estate-themed board game that comes in a box reading “You’re Fired!”?
A. Trump: The Game
B. Madonna: The Game
C. Cheney: The Game
D. Gonzales: The Game
Can't be "C", otherwise the box would read "Go F*** Yourself!"
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$1K When it launched in 1964, what fast-food chain served only roast beef sandwiches, potato chips, and beverages?
A. Arby’s
B. Roy Rogers
C. Hardee’s
D. Popeyes
This seems a little tough for a question of this dollar value, since Roy Rogers also serves roast beef sandwiches (or at least they did when I first heard about them back in the 80s).
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K In 1881, the infamous Gunfight at the O.K. Corral took place in a city that is now part of what state?
A. Arizona
B. Colorado
C. Oklahoma
D. New Mexico

PAF – Pat, a good friend. She is a schoolteacher in Wisconsin.

You can hear Pat repeating the question and answers to someone else.
With six seconds remaining she says Arizona.
Patrick asks, “How sure?.”
At three seconds, she says 80% and with one second left, she says 100%.
Obviously Pat was reading the question to a group. I wonder if one of them was Googling and came up with the answer at the last second in order to make the group's answer certain. There was a Star Trek TOS episode that centered around the event ("Spectre of the Gun").
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K Which of these ‘90s movies was not adapted from a novel by Michael Crichton?
A. Disclosure
B. Sphere
C. Outbreak
D. Congo

50/50 leaves A. Disclosure and C. Outbreak.

Patrick had been leaning toward B. Sphere.
He makes A. Disclosure his final answer.
The audience starts to applaud.
Patrick leaves with $1K.
I knew it wasn't B or D, so I'd have gone with the 50/50 in hopes that A and C wouldn't be the remaining two. Given the result it would be time to ATA. Or I might have done what Patrick did, since "Outbreak" sounds more "Crichton-ish" than "Disclosure", which deals with sexual harrassment.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:47 am

According to the article I posted last week, Patrick is a three-day J! champion. Didn't do so well on this show...
NellyLunatic1980 wrote:I cringed when the audience applauded after Patrick locked in "Disclosure" cuz of my instinct that Crichton did not write "Outbreak".
There's a reason they tell the audience to hold their applause until Meredith says the answer is correct.

I've sorted many Crichton novels in my Science Fiction section for the Friends of the Library booksale, but "Disclosure" gets sent to the Mystery section.

tanstaafl2

#6 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:31 am

Softballs compared to the other stack. I knew "Disclosure" was Crichton as I remember the movie with Demi Moore and the "reverse" sex discrimination theme. Not sure I ever read the book which would make it one of the few Crichton novels I have not read.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

themanintheseersuckersuit

#7 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:35 am

FWIW, Outbreak was based on a non fiction work, The Hot Zone, by Richard Preston, a very scary book.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

tanstaafl2

#8 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:05 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:FWIW, Outbreak was based on a non fiction work, The Hot Zone, by Richard Preston, a very scary book.
Yes, a popular book for discussion here in the infectious disease community at CDC as it was in part based on the work of a virologist here.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

AlphaDummy
Mr. Top Ten

#9 Post by AlphaDummy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:37 am

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Patrick Fernan
McFarland, WI
DMV worker
I've spent some time in Wisconsin but don't know where Mcfarland is.
It's a suburb of Madison.

Madison and Milwaukee are the cheesehead version of WE. In the history of SyndieBAM, I can only recall one contestant (there might be one or two more that I do not recall, but that would be it) that came from Up North. Even the one a couple of years back who was billed as being from my hometown actually lived in Milwaukee...

<grumble>
"Again" - Herb Brooks (as played by Kurt Russell)