Dennis Hastert Charged By FBI

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Dennis Hastert Charged By FBI

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Thu May 28, 2015 3:53 pm

Federal prosecutors on Thursday charged former Republican House Speaker Dennis Hastert with agreeing to pay $3.5 million in hush money to someone he committed “prior misconduct” against, withdrawing the money in small enough amounts to try to avoid detection, then lying to the FBI when questioned about it.

The feds don’t specify the misconduct or name the person Hastert allegedly paid. But they say “Individual A” lived in Yorkville, where Hastert was a coach and high school teacher for years, and knew Hastert for “most of Individual A’s life.”
Full story: http://chicago.suntimes.com/news-chicag ... tructuring
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

Re: Dennis Hastert Charged By FBI

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu May 28, 2015 5:07 pm

Silly me.

When I read that, I thought at first they were talking about the actor Dennis Haysbert, who does the Allstate commercials. I wondered what he'd done to get in trouble.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Thu May 28, 2015 5:13 pm

This thing is majorly creepy sounding.
Well, then

ne1410s

#4 Post by ne1410s » Thu May 28, 2015 5:34 pm

A crooked politician? Where's the fainting couch? I believe I have the vapors.
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

thguy65

#5 Post by thguy65 » Thu May 28, 2015 5:51 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:Silly me.

When I read that, I thought at first they were talking about the actor Dennis Haysbert, who does the Allstate commercials. I wondered what he'd done to get in trouble.
President David Palmer? He wouldn't do anything like that.
Now President Wayne Palmer, that might be a different story. (But "24" was so unrealistic There's no way that two brothers would ever really end up each elected President.)

- Tim H.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#6 Post by Estonut » Thu May 28, 2015 6:04 pm

I did, too.
After the Sam Shepard news, I was thinking, "what's going on with these guys?"
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Vandal
Director of Promos

#7 Post by Vandal » Thu May 28, 2015 6:14 pm

I thought it was this guy:

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

themanintheseersuckersuit

#8 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Thu May 28, 2015 6:24 pm

ne1410s wrote:A crooked politician? Where's the fainting couch? I believe I have the vapors.
From Illinois at that!
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#9 Post by Bob78164 » Thu May 28, 2015 6:53 pm

ne1410s wrote:A crooked politician? Where's the fainting couch? I believe I have the vapors.
The conduct for which he was charged doesn't seem to have anything to do with his former official capacity. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Fri May 29, 2015 1:45 pm

Exactly what I thought:
Chicago Tribune wrote:Indicted former House Speaker Dennis Hastert was paying an individual from his past to conceal sexual misconduct, two law enforcement officials said Friday. The actions date to Hastert's time as a Yorkville, Ill., high school wrestling coach and teacher, the official said.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-d ... story.html
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#11 Post by BackInTex » Fri May 29, 2015 1:47 pm

Bob Juch wrote:Exactly what I thought:
Chicago Tribune wrote:Indicted former House Speaker Dennis Hastert was paying an individual from his past to conceal sexual misconduct, two law enforcement officials said Friday. The actions date to Hastert's time as a Yorkville, Ill., high school wrestling coach and teacher, the official said.
Is there not a statute of limitations?
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

BackInTex

#12 Post by BackInTex » Fri May 29, 2015 1:48 pm

Also, seems that the other party should be brought up on bribery charges? Why else would he be paying money?
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#13 Post by Bob Juch » Fri May 29, 2015 1:52 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Not for blackmail. It's been rumored for years that Hastert was gay.

BackInTex

#14 Post by BackInTex » Fri May 29, 2015 2:18 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
BackInTex wrote: Is there not a statute of limitations?
But then wouldn't he be the victim, of the blackmail?

The charges against him or for hiding the payments.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#15 Post by Bob Juch » Fri May 29, 2015 2:34 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
But then wouldn't he be the victim, of the blackmail?

The charges against him or for hiding the payments.
I mean that there was no time limit for the blackmailer. Hastert just recently started paying.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#16 Post by Bob78164 » Fri May 29, 2015 2:43 pm

BackInTex wrote:
If you're talking about the underlying alleged misconduct, in many states the statute of limitations is tolled (suspended) until the victim reaches the age of majority, and sometimes longer. I don't know Illinois law on this issue, of course.

It's not blackmail to pay someone money to avoid a civil lawsuit. It's a settlement. What would be blackmail would be to demand money to refrain from pressing criminal charges or to refrain from gratuitously publicizing embarrassing information.

In other words, "Pay me or I'll sue you" isn't blackmail. "Pay me or I'll call the cops" is. So is "Pay me or I'll call the Chicago Tribune." --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

LarryCraig
Merry Man

#17 Post by LarryCraig » Fri May 29, 2015 6:21 pm

Bob Juch wrote:Not for blackmail. It's been rumored for years that Hastert was gay.
I can assure everybody that Speaker Hastert is not gay. He told me so in the Capitol men's room.
Who Wants to Eat a Super Tuber?

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#18 Post by Beebs52 » Fri May 29, 2015 6:41 pm

As I said earlier this is majorly creepy. Don't know anyone who is involved in this shit. What is it with public figs? What the fuckety fuck?

I know. I know.
Well, then

ten96lt

#19 Post by ten96lt » Sat May 30, 2015 1:57 am

Bob78164 wrote:
If you're talking about the underlying alleged misconduct, in many states the statute of limitations is tolled (suspended) until the victim reaches the age of majority, and sometimes longer. I don't know Illinois law on this issue, of course.

It's not blackmail to pay someone money to avoid a civil lawsuit. It's a settlement. What would be blackmail would be to demand money to refrain from pressing criminal charges or to refrain from gratuitously publicizing embarrassing information.

In other words, "Pay me or I'll sue you" isn't blackmail. "Pay me or I'll call the cops" is. So is "Pay me or I'll call the Chicago Tribune." --Bob
I want to say the statute in Illinois is age of majority plus 20 years (criminally, and would assume the same civilly), but I can't remember 100% (it was discussed in my criminal law class), and would also depend on when the "crime" occurred as the law may have been different at the time.

My guess is the former speaker was more worried about his legacy being tarnished than anything. The person he was paying off probably set off red flags to the IRS and got caught and said he got them from Hastert; the feds went to question him and he tried to cover it up. Just my speculation.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#20 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sat May 30, 2015 6:04 am

http://popehat.com/2015/05/29/dennis-ha ... ial-power/
As Radley Balko has pointed out, structuring (or "smurfing") charges are extremely flexible. They demonstrate the reality of how Americans targeted by the Department of Justice can be charged. We imagine law enforcement operating like we see on TV: someone commits a crime, everyone knows what the crime is, law enforcement reacts by charging them with that crime. But that's not how federal prosecution always works. Particularly with high-profile targets, federal prosecution is often an exercise in searching for a theory to prosecute someone that the feds would like to prosecute. There is an element of creativity: what federal statute can we find to prosecute this person?
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#21 Post by Bob78164 » Sat May 30, 2015 10:32 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:http://popehat.com/2015/05/29/dennis-ha ... ial-power/
As Radley Balko has pointed out, structuring (or "smurfing") charges are extremely flexible. They demonstrate the reality of how Americans targeted by the Department of Justice can be charged. We imagine law enforcement operating like we see on TV: someone commits a crime, everyone knows what the crime is, law enforcement reacts by charging them with that crime. But that's not how federal prosecution always works. Particularly with high-profile targets, federal prosecution is often an exercise in searching for a theory to prosecute someone that the feds would like to prosecute. There is an element of creativity: what federal statute can we find to prosecute this person?
That may be so in general, but if the indictment in this case is correct, the charge here is pretty clear. He was formerly withdrawing money without regard to the $10,000 reporting requirement. When he started receiving inquiries about the withdrawals, he changed his pattern to avoid triggering the requirement. When the FBI asked him about it, he lied.

It's never the crime. It's always the cover-up. --Bob

Bob Juch

#22 Post by Bob Juch » Sat May 30, 2015 11:50 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:http://popehat.com/2015/05/29/dennis-ha ... ial-power/
An owner of a restaurant here is charged with structuring because every day he puts just under $10,000 in cash from his restaurant in the bank. Of course having a Hispanic surname probably helped.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#23 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:41 pm

-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

tlynn78

#24 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:24 am

http://billingsgazette.com/news/local/h ... 4cf31.html

My apologies if that doesn't work, but it can be cut and pasted into your browser bar.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Estonut
Evil Genius

#25 Post by Estonut » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:39 pm

tlynn78 wrote:http://billingsgazette.com/news/local/h ... 4cf31.html

My apologies if that doesn't work, but it can be cut and pasted into your browser bar.
It works just fine. In the future, you can use the "preview" feature to see if it looks right prior to submitting. To test the link in preview, if you click on the link, you will go to the linked page, losing what you entered prior to the preview. If you right-click the link in preview and select either "open in a new tab" or "open in a new window," your preview will be retained so you can submit it (if it all works).
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx