Haven't been around much lately

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Buffacuse

Haven't been around much lately

#1 Post by Buffacuse » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:52 pm

Looks like I've missed some good stuff...there is a reason.

Lil' Buff is not doing well in middle school--and he is in the best middle school in the county. He has totally tanked a couple of tests we thought he knew and is being incredibly disruptive in class--a sign of his stress--he is talking to himself outloud, calling out, whining...typical Aspergers behaviors and the reason why so many of these kids wind up being sent to special schools. The $64,000 Aspergers question: what do you do with a kid who has a high IQ but can't cope with the stress of school?

We may be headed for an alternative placement battle with the county--which we will win--but we really hope it doesn't go there. Everyone said middle school would be the big hurdle--they were right.

Forgive me if I'm not around much for a bit--my focus is elsewhere. Buff.

christie1111
11:11

Re: Haven't been around much lately

#2 Post by christie1111 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:06 pm

Buffacuse wrote:Looks like I've missed some good stuff...there is a reason.

Lil' Buff is not doing well in middle school--and he is in the best middle school in the county. He has totally tanked a couple of tests we thought he knew and is being incredibly disruptive in class--a sign of his stress--he is talking to himself outloud, calling out, whining...typical Aspergers behaviors and the reason why so many of these kids wind up being sent to special schools. The $64,000 Aspergers question: what do you do with a kid who has a high IQ but can't cope with the stress of school?

We may be headed for an alternative placement battle with the county--which we will win--but we really hope it doesn't go there. Everyone said middle school would be the big hurdle--they were right.

I don't know if it is any consolation, but we are having a heck of a time with our middle schooler who does not have Aspergers. And I think Saucy is struggling with her son.

You have a lot of empathy coming from me.

Hugs!
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

TheCalvinator24

#3 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:10 pm

Here's a blog you might be interested in.

A.S. Kids Are Cool
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#4 Post by kayrharris » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:10 pm

I do think you have some company here, Buff. I know it is a struggle and must be so hard on the family. I hope you can find an answer soon.
We're always here to listen if nothing else. Good luck!

a1mamacat

Re: Haven't been around much lately

#5 Post by a1mamacat » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:43 pm

Buffacuse wrote:Looks like I've missed some good stuff...there is a reason.

Buff, as you know James has high ADHD. The first year of middle school was sheer hell. It is such a transitional time for them, even when they don't have any additional challenges. The "unchallenged" kids can be brutal, as anyone or anything that is different must be bad. If you are not one of the cool clones, you pay for it.

It has taken a couple of years, but he is now starting to be "comfortable in his own skin". I know that Aspergers has some different manifestations from ADHD, and you know little Buff best.

Have you had him tested for gifted too? Some of James' problems have been boredom with the level of work. He doesn't have to put anything into it to pass, so he doesn't, and that causes problems.

We are looking at a private boarding school for next year, so he will get much closer attention, with smaller classes and more one-on-one, which these kids with learning differences seem to thrive on.

You have my email, should you want to go into this in more depth.

Mwah
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

peacock2121

#6 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:11 am

I would be hard pressed to find a parent who is not feeling the stress from the transition from elementary school to middle school. I understand that your stress is magnified, given your son's issues.

I don't know what is best, I do know that sometimes things need time to settle in. I also know that kids can sense parents stress and act accordingly. Take care of yourself and do what you can to not add to his stress.

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:39 am

I'm sorry, Buff. Lil' Buff has been doing so well for the past year, from your reports.

Deal with what you need to deal with. We're here when you need to vent.