(2015) RIP Cecil the lion

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

Re: RIP Cecil the Lion

#26 Post by Spock » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:53 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Spock wrote:A train of thought that I was developing during the "They Want to Meat" thread of last fall is that the urban, western mindset (as epitomized by the Cecil debacle) only sees the animal and are incapable of seeing the larger context.

What has been the main themes of the story.

1) Cecil was lured out of a sanctuary to bordering land.

I have seen no news stories about the size of the sanctuary. Is it a 20-acre roadside zoo or something larger? What is the nature of the boundary between the properties? Has it ever been reported that Hwange National Park is a Switzerland-sized area with no fences to surrounding properties. Animals move freely throughout the larger area. We hunted about 25 miles north of the park and there were no barriers between us and the park. In all likelihood, Cecil crossed the park boundaries many times over his life.

2) Cecil was wearing a research collar.

What is the context of this? Has it been reported that it is legal to shoot a collared lion(assuming all other factors are legal) in Zimbabwe. In fact, to my knowledge it is legal here to shoot collared animals as it is part of the mortality and adds valuable data to the study.

Has it been reported anywhere(other than me here and on Mrs S's Facebook page) that a collared lion killed a child outside the park last year. Just because a lion is wearing a collar does not mean it was tame. Such a lion is subject to all the area factors that any other lion is.

3) The basic response by most is "Trophy Hunting Bad." I see a lot of artificial split between trophy hunting and meat hunting. Has anyone ever grasped the fact that (except for rare exceptions) the trophy's meat is used as fully as a meat hunted meat is.

There is nowhere to take a Cecil-centered discussion other than "Trophy-hunters suck"

I have mentioned this book before and I know that nobody who should read it will-However, the book is "Game Changer" by Glen Martin.
http://www.amazon.com/Game-Changer-Anim ... 518&sr=1-1

This book gives a continental look at what is going on with wildlife in Africa and would give a common framework to look at some of the specifics such as "Cecil" with a better understanding of "Cecil" in context of the land and people of Africa.

If anyone here has a suggestion for a book for me to read that provides a larger context more to their liking-I am certainly open to it.
1) The sanctuary was Hwange National Park. Where he was killed did not permit killing of lions; the landowner "was not allocated a lion on his hunting quota for 2015". His corpse was left to rot in the sun.

2) It it not permitted to kill a collared lion in Zimbabwe. Theo Bronchorst, a professional hunter, and Honest Trymore Ndlovu, a landowner, have been arrested for poaching. They tried to destroy the GPS collar.
Go back and see my Ivan Carter post-I am in full agreement with you on #1. Yes, I know the sanctuary area is Hwange National Park. I have been there.

#2-I trust Ivan Carter on this one-Assuming a legal lion hunt-A collared lion is legal to shoot. The legal problems are arising because they tried to destroy the collar.

Bob Juch

#27 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:11 pm

Spock wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:1) The sanctuary was Hwange National Park. Where he was killed did not permit killing of lions; the landowner "was not allocated a lion on his hunting quota for 2015". His corpse was left to rot in the sun.

2) It it not permitted to kill a collared lion in Zimbabwe. Theo Bronchorst, a professional hunter, and Honest Trymore Ndlovu, a landowner, have been arrested for poaching. They tried to destroy the GPS collar.
Go back and see my Ivan Carter post-I am in full agreement with you on #1. Yes, I know the sanctuary area is Hwange National Park. I have been there.

#2-I trust Ivan Carter on this one-Assuming a legal lion hunt-A collared lion is legal to shoot. The legal problems are arising because they tried to destroy the collar.
If it was legal why did they destroy the collar? Why does Zimbabwe want us to extradite Walter Palmer for poaching?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#28 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:32 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Spock wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:1) The sanctuary was Hwange National Park. Where he was killed did not permit killing of lions; the landowner "was not allocated a lion on his hunting quota for 2015". His corpse was left to rot in the sun.

If it was legal why did they destroy the collar? Why does Zimbabwe want us to extradite Walter Palmer for poaching?
I'll refrain from my usual snarky comments on this, but, according to this story, if convicted in Zimbabwe, the dentist could be looking at 15 years in prison.

http://www.inquisitr.com/2292458/walter ... on-killer/
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Spock

#29 Post by Spock » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:07 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Spock wrote:

The lion was shot on a property with no lion quota. Therefore, it is illegal at that point. Everything stems from that fact. They tried to destroy the collar to hide the location (with no quota) where it was shot. They may (or may not) face added charges related to damaging the GPS collar-that I don't know.

I apologize for the original snarky beginning to this post-I have deleted it.

Spock

#30 Post by Spock » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:27 pm

http://www.africanhunteronline.com/

A link to an article that touches on many things-but brings in the status of the hunting property as lands seized from White farmers in the 2000/2001 timeframe. I am guessing that no mainstream media outlet has broached this subject.

Pull Quote
>>>One element that immediately leapt out was where Cecil was hunted. The concessions bordering on Hwange National Park have been a hotbed of controversy since the beginning of the new millennium. The former stomping grounds of the Big Bad himself, Dawie Groenewald of Out of Africa Adventurous Safaris, it seems that just about every corrupt politico and safari operator has been drawn to that area like a magnet over the last fifteen years. Alarm bells just went off from force of habit. <<<<

jarnon

#31 Post by jarnon » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:52 pm

Spock wrote:http://www.africanhunteronline.com/

A link to an article that touches on many things-but brings in the status of the hunting property as lands seized from White farmers in the 2000/2001 timeframe. I am guessing that no mainstream media outlet has broached this subject.

Pull Quote
>>>One element that immediately leapt out was where Cecil was hunted. The concessions bordering on Hwange National Park have been a hotbed of controversy since the beginning of the new millennium. The former stomping grounds of the Big Bad himself, Dawie Groenewald of Out of Africa Adventurous Safaris, it seems that just about every corrupt politico and safari operator has been drawn to that area like a magnet over the last fifteen years. Alarm bells just went off from force of habit. <<<<
I hadn't heard that, but I did notice that the British researchers named him Cecil.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

ghostjmf

#32 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:22 pm

Re tmitsss's comment about a fictional account of the yumminess of bear:

One theory about why the Franklin expedition to find the Northwest Passage disappeared was that everyone was poisoned by trichinoisis from undercooked bear. You can definitely get this; get it from undercooked pork too, but there aren't pigs in the arctic. (Well, not back then.)

When portions of the expedition's supplies were recently found, theory switched to lead poisoning from the seams on their cans of tinned supplies. They were liklier disoriented by this than outright killed.

Modern cans are lined with plastic, which protects from whatever they're currently using as solder, but which we also need to fear. Won't kill you quick, though.

Spock

#33 Post by Spock » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:45 pm

Nothing solid on this-but it is starting to percolate through the African hunting community that the hunt may have been legal with all the correct permits. Just keep your minds open-to what truths may come out in this atrociously reported story with lightning quick leaps to judgement.

Spock

#34 Post by Spock » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:48 pm

I am guessing that nobody here thought that my "They Want to Eat Meat" thread of last fall would be practice for one of the top news stories of 2015. You never thought that learning about hunting concessions and so forth would come in handy.LOL

Spock

#35 Post by Spock » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:27 am

silverscreenselect wrote: I'll refrain from my usual snarky comments on this, but, according to this story, if convicted in Zimbabwe, the dentist could be looking at 15 years in prison.

http://www.inquisitr.com/2292458/walter ... on-killer/
On Zimbabwean jails, When we were over there-one of our drivers told us a story of an American hunter who stupidly brought in ammo reloading supplies. This is big no-no. I don't remember all the specifics. However, it happened on a Friday-which made getting legal representation harder to find as the day moved on. He was put in jail-a holding cell or whatever. It was a rule that after so many hours he was going to have to be put in a cell with other prisoners-they were taunting him with the equivalent of the "Fresh Meat" call. They were making it very clear what they were going to do to him.

It took a Rude Goldberg type adventure to get ahold of the lawyers and judges to get whatever needed to happen to happen to get him out of jail before he got put in general population-I think they made it with minutes to spare.

Spock

#36 Post by Spock » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:46 am

I have read the columns and books of Cathy Buckle for years. She is a white farmer who lost her land in the illegal land seizures (circa 2000) in Zimbabwe and still chooses to stay in the land of her birth.

http://www.cathybuckle.com/index.php?id=188

"Of Lions, Elephants and Ordinary Zimbabweans"

TheConfessor

#37 Post by TheConfessor » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:57 pm

silvercamaro wrote:For those worried about Cecil's cubs, here is some potential good news. Cecil's brother seems to be watching over them, according to observers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... xpert.html
That good news lasted for a day. Now Jericho the brother lion has also been killed by poachers.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -park.html

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#38 Post by silvercamaro » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:27 pm

TheConfessor wrote:
silvercamaro wrote:For those worried about Cecil's cubs, here is some potential good news. Cecil's brother seems to be watching over them, according to observers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... xpert.html
That good news lasted for a day. Now Jericho the brother lion has also been killed by poachers.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -park.html
I saw the headline today. I decided I couldn't stand to read the story just yet.

Bastidges everywhere.

Oh, and I've been somewhat disturbed by the number of times I've heard people (regular folks, news-gatherers on tv, internet video-makers, etc.) refer to Cecil as "that tiger." Shouldn't knowing the difference between a lion and a tiger be a minimal qualification for, say, breathing or something?
Last edited by silvercamaro on Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#39 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:31 pm

CNN reports that, according to a senior park official, Cecil the lion’s brother Jericho, who is also a lion, was killed on Saturday in Zimbabwe’s Hwange National Park. Others have called this account into question (see updates below).
http://gawker.com/cnn-cecil-the-lions-b ... 1721525978

Jericho also a lion, who knew
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Spock

#40 Post by Spock » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:38 pm

Spock

#41 Post by Spock » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:47 pm

Based on reading the links above.

Anything on Jericho appears to be gross speculation at this point. My suspicion is that it is just a way to gin up the story and keep it going.

If he is dead-and given its reported location in Hwange-it would be very possible that he was killed by another lion.

Spock

#42 Post by Spock » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:50 pm

Taken from CNN and the most credible info out there.

>>>Later, however, an Oxford University researcher tracking Jericho told CNN that the lion was alive and moving as of 8 p.m. local time Saturday, based on the GPS data from the animal's collar.

The GPS device didn't suggest that Jericho was killed or that anything was out of the ordinary, said Brent Stapelkamp, a field researcher who is part of a team tracking Jericho in Zimbabwe.<<<

Spock

#43 Post by Spock » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:05 pm

Since everyone is now concerned about more lion deaths-I am sure you all read my earlier link to the story of Kenya's Wildlife debacle.

However, in case you missed it.

http://idahoforwildlife.com/Charles%20K ... unting.pdf

Remember, Kenya has banned all hunting and consumptive uses of wildlife for 40 years.

Pull Quote
>>> Recently most of the remaining lions in Nairobi National Park, Nairobi being the capitol of Kenya, were speared to death within sight of the Kenya Wildlife Service’s national headquarters, while some 500 bureaucrats sat paralyzed at their desks.<<<

Funny we have heard nothing about the death of these lions who were probably beloved of tourists-given their location near a major city. I guess it wouldn't support the narrative to look at these lion deaths.

Spock

#44 Post by Spock » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:38 pm

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sit ... 4KX9zrOdAk

Google image search for "Lions Caught in Snares"

These are gruesome images of lions caught in poacher's snares (none of these are set by trophy hunters) an indiscriminant means of how villagers deal with lions. The snaring has continued last week and this week and next week and next week-to say nothing of lions poisoned by pastoralists in the last 2 weeks of the Cecil stuff and the upcoming .

I was going to say-look at these gruesome pictures at your own risk. However, I challenge those most inclined to not look at the pics to look at them.

This is the gruesome reality of what lions face in Africa. If you can't deal with it-you really don't deserve to pontificate about Cecil and trophy hunters.

Spock

#45 Post by Spock » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:59 am

I hope everyone looked closely at the pictures and noticed the elephants trunks caught in snares. However,in case you missed it-here are some more images for a sleepless night.

Google Image Search
"Elephants Caught in Snares"

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sit ... 7Bs4WEn4N0

When you look at these pictures-maybe you can begin to grasp how childish and naive the "Hunt with a camera, not a gun" argument really is.

We are having this huge attack on trophy hunting lions now in this country and the world and everybody on TV and the internet is an expert.

Maybe, just maybe the most important piece of information might be "How many lions are sport hunted in Africa a year?" Has anybody in the media ever even thought this might be a vital piece of info to know?

When we were there- I was told that(outside of South Africa) there are about 80 wild lions a year trophy hunted in Africa. South Africa is a different animal and while there massive ethical issues there-the hunts there have no bearing on wild lion populations.

Maybe the "80" is wrong-but that is roughly the scale of the problem we are obsessing over.

Spock

#46 Post by Spock » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:00 am

"Cecil was lured out of a safe area"!!!!!!!!!

Jeez, people are treating Hwange National Park as if it were Fort Knox.

I have said before that I was pleasantly surprised with the job that Zimbabwe game rangers do with limited resources-However, they can only do so much. Poaching is rampant in the park-all you have to do is google "Hwange National Park Poaching"-Obviously, the new stuff takes top billing but there is plenty there.

https://www.mtholyoke.edu/~kniaz20a/classweb/sixth.html

Pull Quote>>>Poaching is also a problem in Hwange. Snares are laid by poachers and animals that get caught in these suffer for days and die slowly. The decline in tourism and lack of revenue makes it unviable for anti-poaching patrols to complete their jobs successfully and to implement better preventative measures.<<<

file:///C:/Users/David/Downloads/Fiche-projet-conge-solidaire-1685.pdf

Pull Quote>>>Poaching issue:
However, even if fauna is relatively preserved, poaching is still a threat for the park. Thanks to researchers and NGOs
working in the park, damages created by poaching and the economic recession have been limited or restricted in
Hwange National Park. However, for this situation to be maintained, animals need continued protection. This will help
preserving the positive dynamic existing in Hwange Park and which is very fragile because of poaching and hunting
threats.

There are two types of poaching in Hwange: subsistence poaching and commercial poaching (targeted rhinos horns and
elephants tusks).

There has always been subsistence poaching along the borders of Hwange National Park. Before, small groups of
people used bark rope to make “snares” and killed small animals for food. This did not disrupt the animal population. In
recent times however, as the economy of Zimbabwe has collapsed, poaching has become commercialized and
unsustainable. Using long lines of wire snares, poachers have eliminated entire populations of animals in some National Parks.<<<

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#47 Post by littlebeast13 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:25 am

I don't think there's anybody better at beating a dead horse (or lion) than our Spock. He won't even let himself get the last word...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

silverscreenselect

#48 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:46 pm

A second American, this one an oncologist, has been accused of illegally poaching a lion in Zimbabwe earlier this year.

This might just be an attempt by the government to assure better medical and dental care for the inmates by locking up American doctors and dentists.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/worl ... /31014477/
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Vandal
Director of Promos

#49 Post by Vandal » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:51 am

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Spock

#50 Post by Spock » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:25 am

littlebeast13 wrote:I don't think there's anybody better at beating a dead horse (or lion) than our Spock. He won't even let himself get the last word...

lb13
Hey, it is all on topic(WWTBAM-related) as one of my links supports my ongoing contention from the early days of the show that the WWTBAM question asking which animal kills more people-(Hippos or Crocs)-was wrong. They said Hippos-I think crocs. So when I am not beating the dead lion here, I am working with my attorneys on preparing a magnum opus to send to the WWTBAM TPTB.

Besides, MRS S won't let me do much on her FB page regarding the Cecil issue or she will revoke my privileges on her FB page.-so this is my outlet-and I am happier than a pig in mud.