Blurb about upcoming SyndieBAM contestant

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
MarleysGh0st

Blurb about upcoming SyndieBAM contestant

#1 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:44 am

At the end of an entertainment column primarily talking about Zora Neale Hurston, and under the not-so-flattering subtitle "Remotely interesting" is this notice about an upcoming contestant, which I'll quote in its entirety.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=167958
Chris Maier, 66, of Vernon Hills competes on "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" at 11 a.m. Thursday and Friday on Channel 9.

gsabc

Re: Blurb about upcoming SyndieBAM contestant

#2 Post by gsabc » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:51 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:At the end of an entertainment column primarily talking about Zora Neale Hurston, and under the not-so-flattering subtitle "Remotely interesting" is this notice about an upcoming contestant, which I'll quote in its entirety.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=167958
Chris Maier, 66, of Vernon Hills competes on "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" at 11 a.m. Thursday and Friday on Channel 9.
I suspect the reference is to a television remote, rather than an aspersion on the information listed. Probably a regular feature, and a pun that someone at one time thought was cute.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

Re: Blurb about upcoming SyndieBAM contestant

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:52 am

gsabc wrote: I suspect the reference is to a television remote, rather than an aspersion on the information listed. Probably a regular feature, and a pun that someone at one time thought was cute.
Oh, sure. Spoil a good grumble by being sensible! :P

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:03 am

Here's a longer article about Chris Maier that actually has some interesting details.

http://www.pioneerlocal.com/vernonhills ... s1.article
As big of a fan as Chris Maier is of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire," the Vernon Hills resident won't be able to see herself compete on the show Thursday morning (April 10).

Maier, a resident of the village since 1973, will be tutoring English as a Second Language at Operation Headstart in Waukegan. Her husband, Hank, a retired Lake Forest police officer, will tape the show on WGN while he babysits one of the couple's four grandchildren. She has also enlisted a neighbor to tape the show as a backup.

Wow! That's real dedication to her (job? volunteer activity?)!

gsabc

#5 Post by gsabc » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:11 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Here's a longer article about Chris Maier that actually has some interesting details.

http://www.pioneerlocal.com/vernonhills ... s1.article
As big of a fan as Chris Maier is of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire," the Vernon Hills resident won't be able to see herself compete on the show Thursday morning (April 10).

Maier, a resident of the village since 1973, will be tutoring English as a Second Language at Operation Headstart in Waukegan. Her husband, Hank, a retired Lake Forest police officer, will tape the show on WGN while he babysits one of the couple's four grandchildren. She has also enlisted a neighbor to tape the show as a backup.
Wow! That's real dedication to her (job? volunteer activity?)!
Maybe she's disappointed in her performance and it's too painful to watch at this stage. Though with that particular job, she could be watching with her students and their parents and working on the translations for them.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.