Transcript 4/9/2008 Hipolito Bravo

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 4/9/2008 Hipolito Bravo

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:25 am

Transcript 4/09;/08

Hipolito Bravo
Brooklyn, NY

His fear is embarrassing himself by being over the top in his exuberance.
He also had a fear Meredith would pronounce his name incorrectly. He just
tells people to call him Hip.

$100
Claustrophobics do not like getting stuck in elevators because they are
afraid of what?

A: Speaking in public
B: Confined spaces
C: Insects
D: Missing "Millionaire"

$200
Which of these animals is born with thousands of quills?

A: Porcupette
B: Kitten
C: Piglet
D: Fawn

$300
A popular Nintendo game, "Trauma Center: Second Opinion" allows players to simulate
the tasks of what professional?

A: Chef
B: Gymnast
C: Surgeon
D: Guitarist

$500
Which of these Web addresses is for the American Dietetic Association?

A: getsleep.org
B: eatright.org
C: dontsmoke.org
D: usesuncreen.org

$1000]
What iconic advertising mascot is often accompanied by his talkative sidekick Sprout?

A: Pillsbury Doughboy
B: Tony the Tiger
C: Ronald McDonald
D: Jolly Green Giant

$2000
The largest populations of manatees in the U. S. lives primarily in the coastal waters
of what state?

A: Maine
B: California
C: Washington
D: Florida

$4000
Crooning "I want my MTV", Sting provides backup vocals on which of these 1985 hits?

A: Careless Whisper
B: Money for Nothing
C: We Built This City
D: Say You, Say Me

$8000
The word "bacchanalia" comes from Bacchus, the Roman god of what?

A: Music
B: Fertility
C: Love
D: Wine

ATA: A: 12%
B: 6%
C: 8%
D: 74%

Commercial break

$16000
What 2007 comedy movie inspired a line of T-shirts bearing the boastful slogan
"I am McLovin"?

A: Hot Rod
B: Superbad
C: Knocked Up
D: I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry

Hip says he is "superbad".

$25000
If a man was born on the day Lincoln gave the Gettysburg Address and died on V-J Day,
how old was the man when he died?

A: 69
B: 75
C: 81
D: 93

50/50 leaves

Meredith pulls the "make him think he's wrong" trick.

$50000
"If I am out of my mind, it's all right with me, thought Moses Herzog" is the first line
of a novel by what 20th-century author?

A: Norman Mailer
B: William Styron
C: John Updike
D: Saul Bellow

Hip decides to switch the question.

$50000
Poison Ivy belongs to a diverse botanical family that also includes the cashew and what
tropical fruit?

A: Coconut
B: Pineapple
C: Papaya
D: Mango

Hip takes very little time and goes with A and leaves with $25,000 and his phone a friend lifeline.
There was no talk about him having the last lifeline. Sometimes Meredith reminds the contestant.
I'm not sure why that didn't happen this time.

Answers:
$100 B - Confined spaces
$200 A - Porcupette
$300 C - Surgeon
$500 B - eatright.org
$1000 D - Jolly Green Giant
$2000 D - Florida
$4000 B - Money for Nothing
$8000 D - Wine
$16000 B - Superbad
$25000 C - 81
$50000 D - Saul Bellow
$50000 D - Mango

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 4/9/2008 Hipolito Bravo

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:03 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Hipolito Bravo
Brooklyn, NY
Wow... our first WE® in a while.

This is pretty rare, but I'd be going for $100,000 with all lifelines intact.

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:43 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:This is pretty rare, but I'd be going for $100,000 with all lifelines intact.
Not me. :( ATA at $4K, which mean I'd need to burn the PAF at $16K (I haven't seen any of those movies). STQ at $50K...and then I'm not sure. I seem to recall something like this about cashews coming up recently. Was it a QOD? But probably 50/50 to back up the hunch about mangos.

slam

#4 Post by slam » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:56 am

I haven't seen Superbad, but I'm sure the audience would have bailed me out there.

The Gettysburg/VJ question is fairly easy if have even the slightest knowledge of American History. VJ stands for Victory-Japan day, so it had to happen at or near the end of WWII. That had to be in 1945. I'd hope any contestant knows that Lincoln gave the Gettysburg address. Even if you don't know the exact year (1863=1776+"four score and seven"), you should know that it had to happen during the Civil War, the early 1860s. After you do the subtraction, the only answer that was close was 81.

I happened to know the years and did 1945-1863=82 but figured that the Gettysburg Address was later in the year than VJ day (November vs. August).

gsabc

#5 Post by gsabc » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:59 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote:This is pretty rare, but I'd be going for $100,000 with all lifelines intact.
Not me. :( ATA at $4K, which mean I'd need to burn the PAF at $16K (I haven't seen any of those movies). STQ at $50K...and then I'm not sure. I seem to recall something like this about cashews coming up recently. Was it a QOD? But probably 50/50 to back up the hunch about mangos.
Same for me at the $4K and $16K, but knew the original $50K and wouldn't have seen the STQ. I could deal with having two LL's when looking at the $100K question.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

slam

#6 Post by slam » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:05 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
I'm surprised about your need for an ATA on the $4K question. Aren't you about the right age for this song?

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:12 am

slam wrote: I'm surprised about your need for an ATA on the $4K question. Aren't you about the right age for this song?
Excuse me while I laugh hysterically! :lol:

Perhaps you're not a regular participant in the Lyrically Speaking games; if you were, you'd know that I fiercely defend my traditional place in the cellar.

Let's say my tastes in pop music tend more towards what was popular when my gh0stly persona was a youngster. :wink:

gsabc

#8 Post by gsabc » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:20 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
slam wrote: I'm surprised about your need for an ATA on the $4K question. Aren't you about the right age for this song?

Perhaps you're not a regular participant in the Lyrically Speaking games; if you were, you'd know that I fiercely defend my traditional place in the cellar.

Let's say my tastes in pop music tend more towards what was popular when my gh0stly persona was a youngster. :wink:
And I don't even participate in LS, or else Marley and I would be fighting for the basement position. The '80's are a black hole of music and of pop culture in general for me. I'll need a PAF who's strong in music, most assuredly.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

slam

#9 Post by slam » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:24 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:

Exactly! I thought you were younger at the time that song was released.

slam

#10 Post by slam » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:24 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:33 am

slam wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:

209* was younger?

*Mr. Dickens failed to note my precise birth year, but a reading of Mark Hazard Osmun's Marley's Ghost documents it as 1776. 8)

slam

#12 Post by slam » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:36 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
slam wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote: Excuse me while I laugh hysterically! :lol:

209* was younger?

*Mr. Dickens failed to note my precise birth year, but a reading of Mark Hazard Osmun's Marley's Ghost documents it as 1776. 8)
Got it. I misread your earlier post.

earendel

#13 Post by earendel » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:45 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Hipolito Bravo
Brooklyn, NY

His fear is embarrassing himself by being over the top in his exuberance.
He also had a fear Meredith would pronounce his name incorrectly. He just
tells people to call him Hip.
Well, so much for the string - we're back in WE®-ville.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$200
Which of these animals is born with thousands of quills?

A: Porcupette
B: Kitten
C: Piglet
D: Fawn
Must be rough on Mama Porcupine! :lol:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4000
Crooning "I want my MTV", Sting provides backup vocals on which of these 1985 hits?

A: Careless Whisper
B: Money for Nothing
C: We Built This City
D: Say You, Say Me
I know it's not A and I know it's not D. Try the 50/50 and see what remains. If it's B and C I might go ahead with B because it's the only song I don't recognize.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8000
The word "bacchanalia" comes from Bacchus, the Roman god of what?

A: Music
B: Fertility
C: Love
D: Wine

ATA: A: 12%
B: 6%
C: 8%
D: 74%
Could 12% of the audience have thought "Bach" referred to J.S. Bach?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25000
If a man was born on the day Lincoln gave the Gettysburg Address and died on V-J Day, how old was the man when he died?

A: 69
D: 93

50/50 leaves

Meredith pulls the "make him think he's wrong" trick.
Gettysburg Address - 1863; V-J Day - 1945, so doing the math gives an answer of 82 - the "81" is because V-J day was in August and the Gettysburg Address was in November.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50000
"If I am out of my mind, it's all right with me, thought Moses Herzog" is the first line of a novel by what 20th-century author?

A: Norman Mailer
B: William Styron
C: John Updike
D: Saul Bellow

Hip decides to switch the question.
I know that Bellow wrote a book entitled "Herzog", so I'd go with that and hope for the best.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50000
Poison Ivy belongs to a diverse botanical family that also includes the cashew and what tropical fruit?

A: Coconut
B: Pineapple
C: Papaya
D: Mango

Hip takes very little time and goes with A and leaves with $25,000 and his phone a friend lifeline. There was no talk about him having the last lifeline. Sometimes Meredith reminds the contestant. I'm not sure why that didn't happen this time.
I don't know this. I can eliminate "coconut" because I'm allergic to it, but not to poison ivy or cashews. Since I have all my lifelines, it's time to use one. At this level I can't be confident about the ATA, and 50/50 won't help, so it's either PAF or STQ. Probably PAF in order to save the STQ for later.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."