Transcript 10/24/2007 - Carole Burrage (TruCarMa)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/24/2007 - Carole Burrage (TruCarMa)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:20 am

Carole Burrage (TruCarMa)
Claremore, OK

Carole is a former federal law clerk. Her two sons are named Truman and Carter and her husband is a state senator from Oklahoma. She did a whole lot of door-knocking during the blistering heat to help her husband get elected.

$300 – If three blind mice each commit seven deadly sins, how many total sins have the mice committed?

A - 9
B - 21
C - 27
D – 49

$500 – What U.S. landmark bears a plaque that reads, “I lift my lamp beside the golden door”?

A – Niagara Falls
B – Statue of Liberty
C – Hoover Dam
D – Washington Monument

$1K – If it included the main character’s real-life surname, what would be the title of the sitcom “According to Jim”?

A – According to Jim Carrey
B – According to Jim Gandolfini
C – According to Jim Belushi
D – According to Jim Broadbent

$2K – According to cooking pros, which of these foods is “done” when a toothpick stuck into its center comes out clean?

A – roast turkey
B – sponge cake
C – Porterhouse steak
D – poached egg

Carole isn’t much of a cook although she tries.

$4K – The Great St. Bernard Pass, where St. Bernard dogs once gave aid to travelers, is found in what mountain range?

A – Himalayas
B – Andes
C – Alps
D – Urals

$8K – Which of these precious materials is a form of resin?

A – amber
B – pearl
C – jade
D – turquoise

Carole has an inkling but nothing made her heart beat fast like her husband does so she decides to ask the audience.

ATA results
A – 79%
B – 6%
C – 10%
D – 5%

Carole says she was thinking “amber” but there are those little dots on turquoise.

$16K – ILM, the special effects company founded by George Lucas, is an abbreviation that stands for “Industrial Light and” what?

A – Movies
B – Media
C – Motion
D – Magic

Carole doesn’t hesitate on this one.

Commercial break

Carole is a stay-at-home mom and a smart lady.

$25K – In 1865, the U.S. Secret Service was created specifically to combat what?

A – counterfeiting of money
B – foreign spying
C – government corruption
D – illegal immigration

Carole isn’t positive about this but has a good feeling that her phone-a-friend lifeline will know it. She asks to call Brad.

Brad asks to have the choices repeated, leaving 8 seconds. He finally says, “counterfeit currency, I’m sure of it.” Carole goes with his answer because he’s a “supergenius”.

Carole does a little disco dance in the Hot Seat – hand gestures only.

$50K – Edouard de Stoeckl is best known for doing what?

A – discovering silicon
B – assassinating James Garfield
C – selling Alaska to the U.S.
D – inventing cotton candy

Carole knows that Russia sold Alaska and Edouard sounds French. She decides to switch the question.

$50K (STQ) – What astronomer coined the term “big bang” even though he opposed the well-known theory to which the term now refers?

A – Fred Hoyle
B – Thomas Gold
C – Harmann Bondi
D – George Gamow

Carole asks for the 50/50, leaving A and D. She decides to pick the answer based on how she chooses football and baseball teams – on the uniforms they wear. For some reason “Fred” seems solid (not that “George” isn’t). Meredith mentions Fred and Barney but also George Washington.

Commercial break

Her phone a friend was a Rhodes Scholar and former congressman, then Carole uses some sort of logic to get the answer to the question based on how to pick sports teams.

$100K – The ‘90s hit “Macarena” tells the story of a feisty woman who cheats on her boyfriend, a man named what?

A – Baldomero
B – Vitorino
C – Casimiro
D – Marcelino

Carole is leaning toward one. Meredith asks if it’s based on the same rationale as before. Carole says it’s not the one she likes more and thinks she has a “body memory” of one of the names. She starts to give an answer and then decides to take the money. Meredith asks her which one she was leaning toward. Carole says, “Vitorino”.

ANSWERS:
$300 – B (21)
$500 – B (Statue of Liberty)
$1K – C (According to Jim Belushi)
$2K – B (sponge cake)
$4K – C (Alps)
$8K – A (amber)
$16K – D (Magic)
$25K – A (counterfeiting of money)
$50K – C (selling Alaska to the U.S.)
$50K (STQ) – A (Fred Holye)
$100K – B (Vitorino)

earendel

Re: Transcript 10/24/2007 - Carole Burrage (TruCarMa)

#2 Post by earendel » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:36 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Carole Burrage (TruCarMa)
Claremore, OK
I watched Carole's performance with much interest after the "conversation" with the Neanderthal yesterday (no offense to any cave men out there :lol: )
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$300 – If three blind mice each commit seven deadly sins, how many total sins have the mice committed?

A - 9
B - 21
C - 27
D – 49
When this question appeared I started laughing and had to explain to elwing about the discussion regarding intelligence. In one of my messages I posted that there were very few pure math questions on BAM, and here one turns up.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $8K – Which of these precious materials is a form of resin?

A – amber
B – pearl
C – jade
D – turquoise

Carole has an inkling but nothing made her heart beat fast like her husband does so she decides to ask the audience.
It's a shame she didn't go with her inkling. She mentions the little specks on turquoise as the reason why she wasn't completely sure.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $25K – In 1865, the U.S. Secret Service was created specifically to combat what?

B – foreign spying
D – illegal immigration
I'm not sure why I knew this, except that I recall that the Secret Service is part of the Department of the Treasury.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Brad asks to have the choices repeated, leaving 8 seconds. He finally says, “counterfeit currency, I’m sure of it.” Carole goes with his answer because he’s a “supergenius”.
Am I the only one who heard Wile E. Coyote's voice here?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $50K – Edouard de Stoeckl is best known for doing what?

A – discovering silicon

Carole knows that Russia sold Alaska and Edouard sounds French. She decides to switch the question.
I knew that Berzelius discovered silicon and Guiteau shot Garfield, so that leaves only two answers. Figuring that the 50/50 would leave the two that I don't know, I'd skip that and go to a Google PAF. I agree that Edouard sounds French.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K (STQ) – What astronomer coined the term “big bang” even though he opposed the well-known theory to which the term now refers?

A – Fred Hoyle
B – Thomas Gold
C – Harmann Bondi
D – George Gamow

Carole asks for the 50/50, leaving A and D. She decides to pick the answer based on how she chooses football and baseball teams – on the uniforms they wear. For some reason “Fred” seems solid (not that “George” isn’t). Meredith mentions Fred and Barney but also George Washington.
Anyone who says that women aren't risk-takers should be required to watch Carole. She went for it, a gutsy move based on a hunch. I knew the answer before the choices were revealed.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100K – The ‘90s hit “Macarena” tells the story of a feisty woman who cheats on her boyfriend, a man named what?

A – Baldomero
B – Vitorino
C – Casimiro
D – Marcelino

Carole is leaning toward one. Meredith asks if it’s based on the same rationale as before. Carole says it’s not the one she likes more and thinks she has a “body memory” of one of the names. She starts to give an answer and then decides to take the money. Meredith asks her which one she was leaning toward. Carole says, “Vitorino”.
I had no idea, and this just might be the time that holding the ATA would pay off. That's what I would have used, hoping for the best.

TruCarMa, you had a great run - I hope you'll come by and tell us about it.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:08 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Carole Burrage (TruCarMa)
Claremore, OK
Congratulations, Truman and Carter's Ma! :D
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $8K – Which of these precious materials is a form of resin?

A – amber
B – pearl
C – jade
D – turquoise

Did she say that or say that her heart was beating fast from the last question? If the latter, too bad you couldn't take a deep breath and dismiss the Hotseatitis.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $25K – In 1865, the U.S. Secret Service was created specifically to combat what?

B – foreign spying
D – illegal immigration

Carole isn’t positive about this but has a good feeling that her phone-a-friend lifeline will know it. She asks to call Brad.
Uh oh. More data for SOX. :P

I knew the Secret Service investigated conterfeiting. The 1865 timing had a little of me questioning choice B, in relation to the Civil War. They mostly outsourced that job to the Pinkertons, IIRC, who spectacularly overestimated the Confederate forces at key points, like during th Peninsular Campaign.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $50K – Edouard de Stoeckl is best known for doing what?

A – discovering silicon

Is de Stoeckl's name ever mentioned in U.S. history lessons about this? :? An undervalued question, IMHO.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $50K (STQ) – What astronomer coined the term “big bang” even though he opposed the well-known theory to which the term now refers?

A – Fred Hoyle
B – Thomas Gold
C – Harmann Bondi
D – George Gamow

Fred Hoyle has also written some science fiction. I think I might have heard of his connection with the Big Bang, but it was too vague a hunch to go with, except if it was a 50/50 situation, like here.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100K – The ‘90s hit “Macarena” tells the story of a feisty woman who cheats on her boyfriend, a man named what?

A – Baldomero
B – Vitorino
C – Casimiro
D – Marcelino
All the lyrics in this song are unintelligible mumbles in my memory, except for the "Hey, Macarena!" part.

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:27 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Is de Stoeckl's name ever mentioned in U.S. history lessons about this? :? An undervalued question, IMHO.
I don't think so, or at least I don't recall it being mentioned.
MarleysGh0st wrote:Fred Hoyle has also written some science fiction. I think I might have heard of his connection with the Big Bang, but it was too vague a hunch to go with, except if it was a 50/50 situation, like here.
He wrote the classic October the First is too Late and A for Andromeda but those are the only ones I know of.[/i]

MyBigFatFabulousBrain
Merry Man

#5 Post by MyBigFatFabulousBrain » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:54 am

Carole Burrage (TruCarMa)
Claremore, OK

Carole is a former federal law clerk. Her two sons are named Truman and Carter and her husband is a state senator from Oklahoma.

Why not Nixon? Or Coolidge? Or Taft?

She did a whole lot of door-knocking during the blistering heat to help her husband get elected.

Yeah, but you probably got a nice breeze from all those doors slamming in your face. I'm not as kind and considerate to visitors as I am to the contestants on this show...

$300 – If three blind mice each commit seven deadly sins, how many total sins have the mice committed?

A - 9
B - 21
C - 27
D – 49

Since when did this show become "Are you Smarter Than a Retard?" Questions about visually impaired sinning mice may very well mark another low in this show's Marianas Trench history...

$500 – What U.S. landmark bears a plaque that reads, “I lift my lamp beside the golden door”?

A – Niagara Falls
B – Statue of Liberty
C – Hoover Dam
D – Washington Monument

$1K – If it included the main character’s real-life surname, what would be the title of the sitcom “According to Jim”?

A – According to Jim Carrey
B – According to Jim Gandolfini
C – According to Jim Belushi
D – According to Jim Broadbent

$2K – According to cooking pros, which of these foods is “done” when a toothpick stuck into its center comes out clean?

A – roast turkey
B – sponge cake
C – Porterhouse steak
D – poached egg

Carole isn’t much of a cook although she tries.

At least you're not like the other contestants who'd be saying they're not much of a trivia whiz. And exactly whose toothpick are we sticking in this food? That's the kind of stuff that gets truck stop restaurants shut down...

$4K – The Great St. Bernard Pass, where St. Bernard dogs once gave aid to travelers, is found in what mountain range?

A – Himalayas
B – Andes
C – Alps
D – Urals

Be on the lookout for llamas...

$8K – Which of these precious materials is a form of resin?

A – amber
B – pearl
C – jade
D – turquoise

Um.... what? What makes your heart beat fast is not a topic for discussion on a game show, unless it's The Newlywed Game... and I don't see Bob Eubank sitting across from you.

ATA results
A – 79%
B – 6%
C – 10%
D – 5%

Carole says she was thinking “amber” but there are those little dots on turquoise.

There are little numbered dots in my Spokesman's activity book, but that doesn't mean it's made out of resin....

$16K – ILM, the special effects company founded by George Lucas, is an abbreviation that stands for “Industrial Light and” what?

A – Movies
B – Media
C – Motion
D – Magic

Carole doesn’t hesitate on this one.

You mean it doesn't stand for Merchandising?

Carole is a stay-at-home mom and a smart lady.

Oh, who are you trying to kid? My buddy the Sox Guru says that all women are idiots, and he presented a lot of reliable data he found written above the urinals at Hooters to prove his case. If he ever scrape up enough money to write his book, he can quit slaving his life away at McDonalds for that brutal female shift manager who keeps making him clean out the french fryer...

$25K – In 1865, the U.S. Secret Service was created specifically to combat what?

B – foreign spying
D – illegal immigration

Yeah, but where were they for Lincoln?

Brad asks to have the choices repeated, leaving 8 seconds. He finally says, “counterfeit currency, I’m sure of it.” Carole goes with his answer because he’s a “supergenius”.

Whoa, whoa, Carole! Don't just go throwing those terms around lightly! I believe I am still the only person on earth who fits into the academically accepted definition of supergenius.... although I'm sure I'll get some competition from the antigenius who predicted that you'd call a man to answer a question for you...

Carole does a little disco dance in the Hot Seat – hand gestures only.

I do a little hand gesture dance for contestants who start doing insane stuff like that in the Hot Seat.... and you can learn it in just one simple move...

$50K – Edouard de Stoeckl is best known for doing what?

A – discovering silicon

Holy friggin' crap! The boys in the dungeon finally learned how to put together a set of distractors without making the answer too obvious or too stupid!

Yeah, but the French were in well with wintergreen's favorite tsars...

$50K (STQ) – What astronomer coined the term “big bang” even though he opposed the well-known theory to which the term now refers?

A – Fred Hoyle
B – Thomas Gold
C – Harmann Bondi
D – George Gamow

Carole asks for the 50/50, leaving A and D. She decides to pick the answer based on how she chooses football and baseball teams – on the uniforms they wear.

Oooooooh crap! I almost made it through a BB stack without seeing something that caused a chunk of my cerebrum to explode in a fiery supernova. Not only is that a good way to show you know nothing about sports, but it really doesn't have anything to do with your selection of a guess here since for all you know these guys could have been nudists...

For some reason “Fred” seems solid (not that “George” isn’t). Meredith mentions Fred and Barney but also George Washington.

What about my good friend Happy Fred? Huh, WHAT ABOUT HIM, MEREDITH!?!?!?!!?

Her phone a friend was a Rhodes Scholar and former congressman,

Smart AND weaselly! Together, me and Brad could have taken over the world...

then Carole uses some sort of logic to get the answer to the question based on how to pick sports teams.

Whatever it was, I doubt it made any sense at all. Flipping an imaginary coin in your head would have been a sufficient explanation...

$100K – The ‘90s hit “Macarena” tells the story of a feisty woman who cheats on her boyfriend, a man named what?

A – Baldomero
B – Vitorino
C – Casimiro
D – Marcelino

You've either got to be really into trivia or really out of your mind to try to figure out what the hell they were saying in that song. Considering that song was written by Satan himself, it was probably about Hitler or Stalin...

Carole is leaning toward one. Meredith asks if it’s based on the same rationale as before.

I have no doubt Meredith's intrigued by that outside of the box type of guessing. Few of the normal WE/WE's can come up with something as ridiculous as that...

Carole says it’s not the one she likes more and thinks she has a “body memory” of one of the names.

The "body memory" I have of the Macarena sends chills down my spine and causes very important parts of my big, fat, fabulous brain to shut down due to shock. Please don't tell me you saw some meaning in those dance movements you were doing while rooting for your favorite sports uniform back in 1996...

She starts to give an answer and then decides to take the money. Meredith asks her which one she was leaning toward. Carole says, “Vitorino”.

Veni, Vidi, Vitorino....

Nihil Obstat®
It's sarcasm, get over it already!

Appa23

#6 Post by Appa23 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:03 am

Certainly, MBFFB knows that Stoeckl was the offspring of Andreas von Stoeckl, Austrian diplomat in Istanbul, and Maria Pisani, daughter of Nicolas Pisani, Russian dragoman in Istanbul.

While he was not French, he did move to Paris with his American heiress wife after the sale of Alaska.

NellyLunatic1980

#7 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:10 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Carole Burrage (TruCarMa)
Claremore, OK

Carole is a former federal law clerk. Her two sons are named Truman and Carter
That explains the username. :)
and her husband is a state senator from Oklahoma.
Sean Burrage has an entry in Wikipedia.

I'm nihil obstat® for the first 10 questions.

$50K: Charles Guiteau killed Garfield, so he's out. PAF with Google needed here.

$50K #2: Never would've seen this question, but I would've guessed Gold.
Her phone a friend was a Rhodes Scholar and former congressman
I assume that would be Brad Carson, who narrowly lost in 2004 to Tom Coburn for the U.S. Senate.

$100K: Show of hands, please. Who here actually bothered to learn the lyrics to that song? I sure as hell didn't. Obvious decision to ATA here. Unless they give a definitive answer, I'll switch.

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:18 am

MyBigFatFabulousBrain wrote:For some reason “Fred” seems solid (not that “George” isn’t). Meredith mentions Fred and Barney but also George Washington.

What about my good friend Happy Fred? Huh, WHAT ABOUT HIM, MEREDITH!?!?!?!!?
As Meredith says about Regis, "We never mention that name." :roll:

And how can this subject go by without observing that Fred, not George, is the leader of the Weasley twins! :)
Last edited by MarleysGh0st on Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#9 Post by silvercamaro » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:03 am

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:

A – Fred Hoyle
B – Thomas Gold
C – Harmann Bondi
D – George Gamow

Anyone who says that women aren't risk-takers should be required to watch Carole. She went for it, a gutsy move based on a hunch. I knew the answer before the choices were revealed.
Well, actually, it doesn't prove that women are risk-takers. She used that hunch on a $50K question, so she was risking nothing.

cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

#10 Post by cindy.wellman » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:35 am

MyBigFatFabulousBrain wrote:

A – Fred Hoyle
B – Thomas Gold
C – Harmann Bondi
D – George Gamow

Carole asks for the 50/50, leaving A and D. She decides to pick the answer based on how she chooses football and baseball teams – on the uniforms they wear.

Oooooooh crap! I almost made it through a BB stack without seeing something that caused a chunk of my cerebrum to explode in a fiery supernova. Not only is that a good way to show you know nothing about sports, but it really doesn't have anything to do with your selection of a guess here since for all you know these guys could have been nudists...

For some reason “Fred” seems solid (not that “George” isn’t). Meredith mentions Fred and Barney but also George Washington.

Oh, I wish I knew the exact thing that Carole said about this! When Meredith mentioned George Washington, etc, Carole said something like, "Yes, but there are <b>other</b> Georges" and then sort of looks up. One could interpret the looking up as "rolling of the eyes", or "good grief". Either way, I laughed out loud when she said and did that! LOL

trucarma

#11 Post by trucarma » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:42 am

Hi, Gang --

Just checking in to see what the experts thought. Not surprised to see a little raking over the coals, but in my defense:

** I never said anything about my heart beating fast and my husband. Edited out/not caught on tape was a big gasp by the audience when I immediately answered "Alps" regarding the St. Bernards. There was an exchange with Meredith about my reasoning (no, I don't like the name "Alps" better...) before I said "final answer," and she had a look on her face that made me go "Hmmm..." Still, I stuck with my answer.

So, when the resin question came up, and I was only about 75% sure it was amber, I went ahead and ATA'd, and I said something to the effect that "That last question made my heart beat kinda fast," referring to the audience gasp and Meredith's facial expression. I didn't want to be in the position of several folks who had gone ahead of me, who went down on an answer they thought they were fairly sure of.

** Brad Carson is the former Congressman who was defeated for US Senate by Tom Coburn. Trust me, he's a super-genius. (And I do like Wile E. Coyote : ) )

** The dance moves were just a little something for the crowd at home; sorry they offended. When you appear on the show, you can do what you want, too. Should you choose to do something animated, the producers will love you for it.

** As for my method for choosing b/tw Fred and George, there was more to it than meets the eye. For one thing, I really didn't know the answer to that question, so it was going to be a guess. I had read something about the Big Bang theory somewhere in my preparations, and though nothing rang a bell, when I got down to 50/50, I didn't think it was George Gamow (sp?) because the alliteration didn't seem familiar at all. But, that's kind of boring. Talking it through the way I did bought me a little time, pleased the audience, and let me get in a little eyerolling at the current administration.

**Same with the "body memory" comment -- I said it to elicit a chuckle from the audience. There was actually about 3 full minutes of deliberating before I decided to walk away with the money. Of course, that was edited down. Had I even the least little bit of an educated reason behind my hunch, I would have gone for it. As I told Meredith at the time, "I am the person I would want to call about this question, and I don't know the answer." Truly -- pop music is one of my few areas of expertise. But I couldn't see gambling $25 K based on nothing more than a vague feeling. I couldn't even remember the dance, let alone the lyrics to a song sung in a language I don't speak!

** Some of my comments or my gestures may seem silly to you, but you know, that's just who I am. Additionally, I felt and still feel that my end of the bargain was to be someone the audience at large could identify with. WWTBAM an opportunity to win a lot of money, of course, but it's also a TV show. In exchange for the producers giving me the chance to make a substantial sum of money in a few short minutes, I felt obligated to entertain, get the crowd and the viewers at home rooting for me.

So that's my story. Feel free to ask any questions you want, and I'll keep checking this thread for the next few days and answer what I can.

Thanks to those of you who were cheering me on. And a very special thanks to my PAFs, Bob Juchs and Bob Shore. Knowing they were on my bench gave me a lot of confidence, and I am forever grateful.

Best to all, Carole
Carole

trucarma

#12 Post by trucarma » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:44 am

cindy.wellman wrote:
MyBigFatFabulousBrain wrote:

A – Fred Hoyle
B – Thomas Gold
C – Harmann Bondi
D – George Gamow

Oh, I wish I knew the exact thing that Carole said about this! When Meredith mentioned George Washington, etc, Carole said something like, "Yes, but there are <b>other</b> Georges" and then sort of looks up. One could interpret the looking up as "rolling of the eyes", or "good grief". Either way, I laughed out loud when she said and did that! LOL

:lol: Glad you caught that as it was intended! Meredith made the comment about GW, and I said, "Yeah, but there are a lot of other Georges, too..."
Carole

earendel

#13 Post by earendel » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:52 am

trucarma wrote:Hi, Gang --

Just checking in to see what the experts thought. Not surprised to see a little raking over the coals, but in my defense:
Welcome, Carole! I noticed that you were from Claremore - I spent two years there back in the 60s at what was then known as Oklahoma Military Academy (now it's some junior college).

Don't take anything that MBFFB® says seriously.
trucarma wrote:** I never said anything about my heart beating fast and my husband.
I did the transcript and that exchange puzzled me so I went back and listened again. I'm still not sure I understood the conversation correctly. Thanks for the correction.

trucarma wrote:Edited out/not caught on tape was a big gasp by the audience when I immediately answered "Alps" regarding the St. Bernards. There was an exchange with Meredith about my reasoning (no, I don't like the name "Alps" better...) before I said "final answer," and she had a look on her face that made me go "Hmmm..." Still, I stuck with my answer.
I wonder why the audience gasped.
trucarma wrote:** Brad Carson is the former Congressman who was defeated for US Senate by Tom Coburn. Trust me, he's a super-genius. (And I do like Wile E. Coyote : ) )
Has Brad considered trying out for the show?
trucarma wrote:** As for my method for choosing b/tw Fred and George, there was more to it than meets the eye. For one thing, I really didn't know the answer to that question, so it was going to be a guess. I had read something about the Big Bang theory somewhere in my preparations, and though nothing rang a bell, when I got down to 50/50, I didn't think it was George Gamow (sp?) because the alliteration didn't seem familiar at all. But, that's kind of boring. Talking it through the way I did bought me a little time, pleased the audience, and let me get in a little eyerolling at the current administration.
Good job. I admit I was confused by the mention of uniforms since, to my knowledge, neither Fred nor George ever wore one.
trucarma wrote:**Same with the "body memory" comment -- I said it to elicit a chuckle from the audience. There was actually about 3 full minutes of deliberating before I decided to walk away with the money. Of course, that was edited down. Had I even the least little bit of an educated reason behind my hunch, I would have gone for it. As I told Meredith at the time, "I am the person I would want to call about this question, and I don't know the answer." Truly -- pop music is one of my few areas of expertise. But I couldn't see gambling $25 K based on nothing more than a vague feeling. I couldn't even remember the dance, let alone the lyrics to a song sung in a language I don't speak!
You did exactly the right thing.
trucarma wrote:** Some of my comments or my gestures may seem silly to you, but you know, that's just who I am. Additionally, I felt and still feel that my end of the bargain was to be someone the audience at large could identify with. WWTBAM an opportunity to win a lot of money, of course, but it's also a TV show. In exchange for the producers giving me the chance to make a substantial sum of money in a few short minutes, I felt obligated to entertain, get the crowd and the viewers at home rooting for me.
I think that anything someone does in the Hot Seat is fine if it helps him or her relax. I'm not sure I agree with you that your "end of the bargain" is to be entertaining, but that's probably why I haven't been called for J!

MarleysGh0st

#14 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:54 am

trucarma wrote:** I never said anything about my heart beating fast and my husband. Edited out/not caught on tape was a big gasp by the audience when I immediately answered "Alps" regarding the St. Bernards. There was an exchange with Meredith about my reasoning (no, I don't like the name "Alps" better...) before I said "final answer," and she had a look on her face that made me go "Hmmm..." Still, I stuck with my answer.

So, when the resin question came up, and I was only about 75% sure it was amber, I went ahead and ATA'd, and I said something to the effect that "That last question made my heart beat kinda fast," referring to the audience gasp and Meredith's facial expression. I didn't want to be in the position of several folks who had gone ahead of me, who went down on an answer they thought they were fairly sure of.
Argh! Misled by a completely mistaken audience reaction. The warm-up guy needs to step up his audience instructions about that!

trucarma wrote:** The dance moves were just a little something for the crowd at home; sorry they offended.
Yikes! You haven't been here long enough to know about MyBigFatFabulousBrain. As his disclaimer indicates, he's a Merry Man whose whole purpose is writing these satire replies to the transcript threads.

Please don't take any of what he wrote seriously. The person behind that MM doesn't mean them!

Some BB actually look forward to a celebrity roast from MBFFB, as part of their rite of passage. :)

Appa23

#15 Post by Appa23 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:26 am

TruCarMa said
I couldn't even remember the dance, let alone the lyrics to a song sung in a language I don't speak!
Just to clarify, the hit version of Macarena was the Bayside Boys remix (American version), of the Los Del Rio song, so only the chorus is not in English.

In the American version, it is Macarena herself who talks (in English)about her adventures (in English) on the town.

Now don't you worry about my boyfriend
The boy who's name is Vitorino
I don't want him, couldn't stand him
He was no good so I
Now come on, what was I suppose to do
He was out of town and his two friends were so fine

Still, I would have been lifeline hunting there, as well. I wished that I would have remembered that you were on the show yesterday, as I would have tuned into the radio simulcast while at work. :cry:

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#16 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:29 pm

trucarma wrote:And a very special thanks to my PAFs, Bob Juchs and Bob Shore. Knowing they were on my bench gave me a lot of confidence, and I am forever grateful.
My pleasure. I'm looking forward to Saturday, when your show is scheduled to air in Los Angeles (the local station pre-empts it a lot for baseball and basketball).

And the nice thing about your PAF question is that you couldn't have missed. I knew that one cold (I don't think the Secret Service picked up presidential protection until after Garfield's assassination), and I'll bet Bob Juch knew it just as cold.

Let me echo the comments about MBFFB, by the way. He is intended to satire some Bored members whose commentary on other people's stacks evidence a fairly high opinion of themselves. The phrase itself was coined by Bix, who called some people (whom she declined to name) for commenting on stacks for no purpose other than to display their "big fat fabulous brains." --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#17 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:31 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K (STQ) – What astronomer coined the term “big bang” even though he opposed the well-known theory to which the term now refers?

A – Fred Hoyle
B – Thomas Gold
C – Harmann Bondi
D – George Gamow
I didn't remember that Hoyle coined the phrase "big bang," but I did remember he was one of the few astronomers of the era to champion the steady state theory, so I'd have gone with him without a lifeline. But this is a very nasty question for $50,000 -- it would not have been out of place for $500,000. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Shade

#18 Post by Shade » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:21 pm

Why are transcripts being posted in the main board?

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#19 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:25 pm

Shade wrote:Why are transcripts being posted in the main board?

Yo Shade!

lb13

TheCalvinator24

#20 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:29 pm

I had a class in college with her PaF.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

earendel

#21 Post by earendel » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:29 pm

The decision was made to post them in the Transcript thread, but then a moderator would move them to the main forum so that more people might comment on them. At least I think that's the reason.

MarleysGh0st

#22 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:31 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:

Yo Shade!

lb13
Don't be subtle, beast! :P

We had a big discussion about this a couple days ago, Shade, including these two poll/discussion threads:

viewtopic.php?t=438

Which was amended to:

viewtopic.php?t=447

The general idea of what we came up with is that the transcripts are "shadowed" over on the Transcript forum, for folks who are only looking for a way to find that, but they're primarily on the general Bored Posts forum, because that's where most of us engage in most of our conversation.

People weren't even noticing stuff in the Transcript forum.

Shade

#23 Post by Shade » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:40 pm

Oh, okay. That is a good idea.

Shade

#24 Post by Shade » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:54 pm

$4K - would have need to use my PAF
16k - ATA, I didn't know, I thought it was either Magic or Media
50K - Would not of used switch the question, I had an idea. I would of used 50:50 and may have gotten it right
100k -would have switched here.

peacock2121

#25 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:03 am

Appa23 wrote:

Certainly, MBFFB knows that Stoeckl was the offspring of Andreas von Stoeckl, Austrian diplomat in Istanbul, and Maria Pisani, daughter of Nicolas Pisani, Russian dragoman in Istanbul.

While he was not French, he did move to Paris with his American heiress wife after the sale of Alaska.
If he certainly did know, why say it?