Affluenza AWOL?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
SpacemanSpiff

Affluenza AWOL?

#1 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:07 pm

Ethan Couch, the Texas teen who managed to escape prison time due to an "affluenza" defense (i.e., he grew up in a wealthy home, so he couldn't know right from wrong) but did get 10 years probation - no driving, no alcohol, no drugs during that time - and a probation violation could land him up to 10 years in prison, is AWOL (as is his mom) after a twitter feed purportedly shows him playing beer pong, posted on December 2.

To remind you of what happened in 2013 was to have a auto accident in which he was way drunk, much more than the (adult) legal limit, killing four people and paralyzing another.

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2015/12 ... pong.html/

An arrest warrant is issued because he's gone incommunicado and missed a probation hearing.

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2015/12 ... ouch.html/

And it sounds like the "affluenza" defense extends to his pa, too.
Couch’s father, Frederick Couch, is scheduled to appear in court Friday for a charge accusing him of falsely identifying himself as a police officer. On July 28, 2014, North Richland Hills police were called to a disturbance in the 4400 block of Mackey Drive, police spokesman Keith Bauman said. Couch, 50, allegedly told the officers he was a reserve officer for the town of Lakeside and showed them a police badge and ID. Police later determined Couch had been lying and arrested him on Aug. 19, 2014, Bauman said.
Throw the whole lot of 'em in jail. Even if the video is inconclusive, the missing the probation hearing is grounds enough to throw him in the slammer. It's just a matter of how long he'd get.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

silverscreenselect

Re: Affluenza AWOL?

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:17 pm

I wonder what the black equivalent of affluenza is?
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

President Chump
Merry Man

#3 Post by President Chump » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:21 pm

Sounds like someone has a problem with rich people...

Rich people will make America great again!

OJ Simpson
Merry Man

#4 Post by OJ Simpson » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:22 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:I wonder what the black equivalent of affluenza is?

Let me ask Johnnie Cochran's spirit...

Vandal
Director of Promos

#5 Post by Vandal » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:10 pm

Mexican authorities have detained so-called "affluenza" teen Ethan Couch and his mother near the popular Mexican Pacific beach resort town of Puerto Vallarta, officials briefed on the matter told CNN.
Story.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

SpacemanSpiff

#6 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:59 pm

Looks like the pair are going to fight extradition. Something about if they are deported, their rights might be violated.

http://www.richmond.com/news/latest-new ... 94a79.html

My favorite line from the article:
"They had planned to disappear. They even had something that was almost akin to a going-away party before leaving town," [Tarrant County Sherriff Dee] Anderson said. He declined to detail the party, including how many people attended.
No word on if beer pong was played at said party.

Heck with extradition. There are enough rent-a-thugs down there that can take care of these two. Or maybe they can spend some time in some of the less-nice jails in Jalisco while awaiting the hearing, which might un-coddle the youngster.

geoffil

#7 Post by geoffil » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:32 pm

Maybe the bored lawyers can explain, but I don't understand why he can't be moved to adult court and get more jail time (then the 4 months) ? The news reports state that the only jail time he can be given is 4 months until he turns 19.

SpacemanSpiff

#8 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:27 pm

geoffil wrote:Maybe the bored lawyers can explain, but I don't understand why he can't be moved to adult court and get more jail time (then the 4 months) ? The news reports state that the only jail time he can be given is 4 months until he turns 19.
I wonder if multiple violations can be brought up at this point. Besides the beer pong incident, there's missing the meeting with the probation officer, unauthorized travel, leaving the state/country, etc.

Mom's a whole different case. Throw the book at her- illegal flight, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, conspiracy to commit an illegal act. Take away her parental rights, make sonny a ward of the state (unless he ends up in prison)

Estonut
Evil Genius

#9 Post by Estonut » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:12 pm

Current reports are that mom has been deported. Other a-hole has not.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:50 am

geoffil wrote:Maybe the bored lawyers can explain, but I don't understand why he can't be moved to adult court and get more jail time (then the 4 months) ? The news reports state that the only jail time he can be given is 4 months until he turns 19.
My understanding is that if his case stays in juvenile court he can be held until he turns 19 which will be in 100 days but if it is moved to adult court he could be held for 120 days. His mother faces 2 to 10 years in prison.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#11 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:58 am

Latest report: Employees at the resort where they were holed up are reporting hotel cleaners found a gun that was left behind in one of the rooms they stayed in.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

jaybee

#12 Post by jaybee » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:11 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
My understanding is that if his case stays in juvenile court he can be held until he turns 19 which will be in 100 days but if it is moved to adult court he could be held for 120 days. His mother faces 2 to 10 years in prison.
One report stated that if he gets moved into the adult system he could get the short term jail time mentioned. However, once he was considered as an adult, if he broke probation for the second time (first time after being in the adult system) then he could be jailed for up to 10 years for each of the 4 counts against him.

Given his history it may be best if he gets the slap on the wrist now and is moved into the adult system as it's almost a sure thing that he cannot go another 8 years without blowing his probation requirements. Then maybe he'll get enough jail time to keep him out of circulation for most of his lifetime.
Jaybee

silverscreenselect

#13 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:57 pm

This story just keeps getting better. The boy's mother has just had her bail reduced from $1M to $75,000 because the judge said the charges she faces "hindering apprehension of a felon" don't warrant a higher bond.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /78641356/

Texas' concerns for the rights of criminal defendants should be a model for other states to follow.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

geoffil

#14 Post by geoffil » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:19 am

Texas' concerns for the rights of criminal defendants should be a model for other states to follow.
Reports stated she would be released and get home confinement and a lower bail a week ago and when Ethan comes back he will only get 120 days. How is all this decided before gong to court? Is Texas too lenient or is Texas just like very other state?

Vandal
Director of Promos

#15 Post by Vandal » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:50 am

'Affluenza' teen gets nearly 2 years in jail
In his first court appearance as an adult, the Texas teen known as "affluenza teen" because of his defense when he was given probation for killing four people in a 2013 drunken-driving trial, was ordered to spend nearly two years in jail Wednesday.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /82970336/
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Vandal
Director of Promos

#16 Post by Vandal » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:56 am

'Affluenza teen' Ethan Couch who killed four people in crash released after serving two years
The Texas man known for his "affluenza" defense when he was given probation for killing four people in a 2013 drunken-driving crash was released on Monday after serving two years for violating his probation.

Ethan Couch, who is now 20, has almost fulfilled a 720-day sentence for violating his original probation. He was convicted of killing four people in a drunken driving accident in 2013 when he plowed a pickup truck into a group of good Samaritans helping a stranded driver.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 477417002/
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Estonut
Evil Genius

#17 Post by Estonut » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:04 pm

Vandal wrote:'Affluenza teen' Ethan Couch who killed four people in crash released after serving two years
The Texas man known for his "affluenza" defense when he was given probation for killing four people in a 2013 drunken-driving crash was released on Monday after serving two years for violating his probation.

Ethan Couch, who is now 20, has almost fulfilled a 720-day sentence for violating his original probation. He was convicted of killing four people in a drunken driving accident in 2013 when he plowed a pickup truck into a group of good Samaritans helping a stranded driver.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 477417002/
His mom just made the news a few days ago when she failed a drug test and was sent to jail. What a family...
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx