Transcript 4/11/2008 - Chris Maier (carryover contestant)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 4/11/2008 - Chris Maier (carryover contestant)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:47 am

Chris Maier
Vernon Hills, IL

Chris has taken belly dancing lessons and started a conga line or two, but now it's all about the grandkids. She has four - Tina, 24; Tony, 20, serving in Iraq; Matthew, 10; and Alexander, 4, born on her husband's birthday. Her husband Hank is in the audience. He's a keeper because they've been married 45 years and two months.

Chris says that they could take a nice vacation with that kind of money, maybe Hawaii without the kids or grandkids.

Chris has all of her lifelines available.

$4K - When it was founded in 1982, what daily newspaper earned the nickname "McPaper"?

A - Boston Herald
B - Chicago Sun-Times
C - New York Post
D - USA Today

Chris has a hunch but she's not sure. The audience looks intellgent so she wants to ask them.

ATA results:
A - 11%
B - 2%
C - 2%
D - 85%

That wasn't what Chris was thinking. Meredith says the audience isn't always right, but Chris says they usually are. She says it's so much harder in person than on TV. She yells at the TV screen and calls the contestant idiots, like people are doing right now. She finally decides to go with the audience's answer.

$8K - Star of the reality TV series "Flavor of Love," Flavor Flav is a member of what seminal rap group?

A - Public Enemy
B - Run-DMC
C - N.W.A.
D - The Sugarhill Gang

Chris hasn't a clue. Meredith says, "You don't rap?" to which Chris replies, "Only if it's Christmas presents." Meredith reminds Chris of her lifelines. Chris says that 50/50 wouldn't help at all so she will have to phone a friend. She asks to call her daugher Lisa. Lisa asks Chris to repeat answer #2, then says, "I'm not sure, Mom, but I think it's 'Public Enemy'". Chris opts to use her 50/50 and see if that answer is still there. It is, along with Run-DMC. "Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?" Chris says as she makes "A" her final answer. Hank is shown standing up and cheering.

$16K - Because it was the highest point on the Ohio & Erie Canal, what city's name derives from the greek word for "high place"?

A - Canton
B - Cincinnati
C - Dayton
D - Akron

Chris shakes her head. She has no idea. It's been fun and she's thoroughly enjoyed herself. She decides to walk with $8K. After the answer is shown, Chris says she thought that's what it might be but didn't want to take a chance.

commercial break

ANSWERS:
$4K - D (USA Today)
$8K - A (Public Enemy)
$16K - D (Akron)

peacock2121

#2 Post by peacock2121 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:04 am

$16K - Because it was the highest point on the Ohio & Erie Canal, what city's name derives from the greek word for "high place"?

A - Canton
B - Cincinnati
C - Dayton
D - Akron

I really don't know if my logic is right and I would have gone with Akron, because apex seems to have the same root and I had no other idea.

jarnon

#3 Post by jarnon » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:46 am

peacock2121 wrote:$16K - Because it was the highest point on the Ohio & Erie Canal, what city's name derives from the greek word for "high place"?

A - Canton
B - Cincinnati
C - Dayton
D - Akron

I really don't know if my logic is right and I would have gone with Akron, because apex seems to have the same root and I had no other idea.
Also acme and acrophobia.

tanstaafl2

#4 Post by tanstaafl2 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:07 pm

jarnon wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:$16K - Because it was the highest point on the Ohio & Erie Canal, what city's name derives from the greek word for "high place"?

A - Canton
B - Cincinnati
C - Dayton
D - Akron

Also acme and acrophobia.
Acrophobia was the key for me. Knowing that made this one pretty easy. I wouldn't have thrown away the ATA at 4K so hopefully that would have gotten me past the 8K, about which I had no idea.

Are there really seminal rap groups? No, I didn't think so either...
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:09 pm

A - Canton
B - Cincinnati
C - Dayton
D - Akron

I thought of the Acropolis. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 4/11/2008 - Chris Maier (carryover contestant

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:03 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $16K - Because it was the highest point on the Ohio & Erie Canal, what city's name derives from the greek word for "high place"?

A - Canton
B - Cincinnati
C - Dayton
D - Akron
I also thought of Acme.

And if Greek words didn't come to you, it was possible to eliminate at least a couple answers through some general geographic logic. Cincinnati is on the Ohio river. If that were the highest point between that and Lake Erie, the rest of Ohio would also have to be a lake. And Dayton, being in the southwestern corner of the state, would be unlikely to be on the path of the canal--surely there's a shorter, easier route from the Ohio river further upstream. That would only leave Canton and Akron to consider.

NellyLunatic1980

#7 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:45 am

Nihil obstat®

I thought the $16K question was a gimme. If you knew "acrophobia" (fear of high places), then you could make the connection.

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:10 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Chris Maier
Vernon Hills, IL

Chris has taken belly dancing lessons and started a conga line or two, but now it's all about the grandkids. She has four - Tina, 24; Tony, 20, serving in Iraq; Matthew, 10; and Alexander, 4, born on her husband's birthday. Her husband Hank is in the audience. He's a keeper because they've been married 45 years and two months.

Chris says that they could take a nice vacation with that kind of money, maybe Hawaii without the kids or grandkids.

Chris has all of her lifelines available.
So far she's doing great.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4K - When it was founded in 1982, what daily newspaper earned the nickname "McPaper"?

A - Boston Herald
B - Chicago Sun-Times
C - New York Post
D - USA Today

Chris has a hunch but she's not sure. The audience looks intellgent so she wants to ask them.

ATA results:
A - 11%
B - 2%
C - 2%
D - 85%

That wasn't what Chris was thinking. Meredith says the audience isn't always right, but Chris says they usually are. She says it's so much harder in person than on TV. She yells at the TV screen and calls the contestant idiots, like people are doing right now. She finally decides to go with the audience's answer.
I wonder what she was thinking. Possibly the Post.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K - Star of the reality TV series "Flavor of Love," Flavor Flav is a member of what seminal rap group?

A - Public Enemy
B - Run-DMC
C - N.W.A.
D - The Sugarhill Gang

Chris hasn't a clue. Meredith says, "You don't rap?" to which Chris replies, "Only if it's Christmas presents." Meredith reminds Chris of her lifelines. Chris says that 50/50 wouldn't help at all so she will have to phone a friend. She asks to call her daugher Lisa. Lisa asks Chris to repeat answer #2, then says, "I'm not sure, Mom, but I think it's 'Public Enemy'". Chris opts to use her 50/50 and see if that answer is still there. It is, along with Run-DMC. "Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?" Chris says as she makes "A" her final answer. Hank is shown standing up and cheering.
I would have had no idea, but since I didn't use ATA before, it's time to use it now.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K - Because it was the highest point on the Ohio & Erie Canal, what city's name derives from the greek word for "high place"?

A - Canton
B - Cincinnati
C - Dayton
D - Akron

Chris shakes her head. She has no idea. It's been fun and she's thoroughly enjoyed herself. She decides to walk with $8K. After the answer is shown, Chris says she thought that's what it might be but didn't want to take a chance.
That's a shame - she didn't make the connection with "Acropolis" or "acrophobia".
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:54 am

Chris (and Justin Oswald) gets another short blurb about her appearance in the "Remotely Interesting" column:

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=173686
Remotely interesting: Vernon Hills grandmother Chris Maier won $8,000 last week on "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire." Earlier in the week, Chicago's Justin Oswald took home $25,000 on the show, which airs at 11 a.m. weekdays on WGN Channel 9.