RIP Prince

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
bazodee

RIP Prince

#1 Post by bazodee » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:17 am

TMZ is reporting the musician Prince has died. All other news outlets are reporting a death at the home of Prince, without reporting specifically who.

triviawayne

Re: RIP Prince

#2 Post by triviawayne » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:18 am

He had pneumonia

SpacemanSpiff

#3 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:44 am

AP reported it on a tweet with a 1:08pm (ET) time stamp. [EDIT - CNBC had a statement from his publicist, story time stamp 1:38 pm ET]

That's another musical icon from my birthyear gone (Michael Jackson comes to mind).

And to quote Pietro Maximoff, I didn't see that coming.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

bazodee

#4 Post by bazodee » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:55 am

Prince had played a concert here in Atlanta last week. On board his private jet flying home to Minneapolis, the flight diverted and landed in Moline and Prince was taken to the hospital. Because of the Atlanta concert, this news was reported locally but I don't really know if it was distributed nationally. So it's not a total surprise that something was going on.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#5 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:00 pm

bazodee wrote:Prince had played a concert here in Atlanta last week. On board his private jet flying home to Minneapolis, the flight diverted and landed in Moline and Prince was taken to the hospital. Because of the Atlanta concert, this news was reported locally but I don't really know if it was distributed nationally. So it's not a total surprise that something was going on.

It was mentioned on the radio while I was coming home from work over the weekend... probably because Moline's only about 150 miles north of here. It was the first thing I thought of when my Mom called half an hour to tell me what happened...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

BackInTex

#6 Post by BackInTex » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:09 pm

SpacemanSpiff wrote:
That's another musical icon from my birthyear gone (Michael Jackson comes to mind).
These guys were older than me. Prince, 84 days, MJ, 1 day.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

themanintheseersuckersuit

#7 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:20 pm

There was a guy in my High School graduation class that was born on the same day as me. I learned that in his recent obituary.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

SpacemanSpiff

#8 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:17 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:There was a guy in my High School graduation class that was born on the same day as me. I learned that in his recent obituary.
I'm going to my 40th (!) HS reunion this summer. It's scary how many of them aren't around anymore; even scarier how many might have been on that list as well (a few with transplants, including one with a double lung/heart transplant, that sort of thing) thanks to modern medicine.

Then again, it was scary how many of my HS friends didn't make it out of HS alive, which is one reason why I didn't drink after HS for a long time.

BackInTex

#9 Post by BackInTex » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:23 pm

SpacemanSpiff wrote:
themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:There was a guy in my High School graduation class that was born on the same day as me. I learned that in his recent obituary.
I'm going to my 40th (!) HS reunion this summer. It's scary how many of them aren't around anymore; even scarier how many might have been on that list as well (a few with transplants, including one with a double lung/heart transplant, that sort of thing) thanks to modern medicine.

Then again, it was scary how many of my HS friends didn't make it out of HS alive, which is one reason why I didn't drink after HS for a long time.
I'll be going to my 40th this summer, too, if they don't have it at the same time I'm up at Yellowstone. For as large as my class was, 550, I don't think we've lost as many as others. I think at our 10 year we knew of about 6 that had died. My college roommates lost more than that while they were in college. I still have yet to lose anyone I am or was really close to. Its just a matter of time before I do, or they do. :(
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

danielh41

#10 Post by danielh41 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:33 pm

BackInTex wrote: I'll be going to my 40th this summer, too, if they don't have it at the same time I'm up at Yellowstone. For as large as my class was, 550, I don't think we've lost as many as others. I think at our 10 year we knew of about 6 that had died. My college roommates lost more than that while they were in college. I still have yet to lose anyone I am or was really close to. Its just a matter of time before I do, or they do. :(
When are you going to be at Yellowstone? We'll be tent camping there the nights of June 27 and 28th at the Madison campground before driving up to Glacier National Park.

bazodee

#11 Post by bazodee » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:37 pm

My gosh, just how many of us BBers were born in 1958 (and celebrating our 40th high school reunion)?

BackInTex

#12 Post by BackInTex » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:43 pm

bazodee wrote:My gosh, just how many of us BBers were born in 1958 (and celebrating our 40th high school reunion)?
All the cool ones.

Lets start a list (see my new thread).
~~ Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#13 Post by BackInTex » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:17 pm

danielh41 wrote:
BackInTex wrote: I'll be going to my 40th this summer, too, if they don't have it at the same time I'm up at Yellowstone. For as large as my class was, 550, I don't think we've lost as many as others. I think at our 10 year we knew of about 6 that had died. My college roommates lost more than that while they were in college. I still have yet to lose anyone I am or was really close to. Its just a matter of time before I do, or they do. :(
When are you going to be at Yellowstone? We'll be tent camping there the nights of June 27 and 28th at the Madison campground before driving up to Glacier National Park.
We and another family rented a house in Big Sky, MT as home base. We will be there June 19 to June 25. We will visit Yellowstone and Glacier, maybe Grand Tetons, but now my wife wants to schedule a white water raft trip so something may have to give. If so, it will be the Tetons.

On the way up I have stops scheduled at:
Gravity Hill in OK,
Chimney Rock, NE
Mt. Rushmore, SD,
Devils Tower, WY
Little Bighorn Battlefield, MT
Afternoon tea with the next Yellowstone County Clerk of District Court

We haven't scheduled the trip back other than know we are going through Salt Lake City and spending a couple days in Los Alamos, NM. Maybe tea with liberal in Durango. ;)
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Spock

#14 Post by Spock » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:42 pm

BiT>>>>For as large as my class was, 550, I don't think we've lost as many as others. I think at our 10 year we knew of about 6 that had died. My college roommates lost more than that while they were in college. I still have yet to lose anyone I am or was really close to. Its just a matter of time before I do, or they do. :(<<<<<

Graduated 1985 with 36 in the class. We have lost 2 to liver/pancreatic cancer type stuff. One in 2005 and the other in 2012. They were both close friends and were ushers in my wedding. At the funeral for the second one, I told my other "Classmate Usher" that this string had better end right now and he didn't have to continue it.

I remember riding the bus in 2nd grade and just being flabbergasted that none of my classmates had died. There were 12 of us and I had not studied actuarial tables at that time.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#15 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:02 pm

Facebook has taken some of the fun out of reunions

At my 40th I was wearing an external cardiac defibrillator just in case my heart wanted to add some excitement to the evening. Glad I don't need that anymore
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#16 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:56 pm

We haven't scheduled the trip back other than know we are going through Salt Lake City and spending a couple days in Los Alamos, NM. Maybe tea with liberal in Durango. ;)
Here's hoping .. .
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#17 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:14 pm

I've been on this Bored forever, and yet I'm still one of the kids around here. Get off my lawn, you old fogeys....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Pastor Fireball

#18 Post by Pastor Fireball » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:58 am

littlebeast13 wrote:I've been on this Bored forever, and yet I'm still one of the kids around here. Get off my lawn, you old fogeys....

lb13
And I think I'm a year or two younger than even you are. I'll be 36 next month.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

Vandal
Director of Promos

#19 Post by Vandal » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:22 am

Another legendary rock star is gone, but somehow...

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Pastor Fireball

#20 Post by Pastor Fireball » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:04 am

Vandal wrote:Another legendary rock star is gone, but somehow...

He's been dead since 1968. It's just that somebody has forgotten to tell him that he's dead.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

SpacemanSpiff

#21 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:05 am

And then there's this....

Also, Niagara Falls was lit in purple for the Queen's birthday. Seemed fitting today.

Kanye West
Merry Man

#22 Post by Kanye West » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:52 am

SpacemanSpiff wrote:Image
At least they don't put nobodies on the news...

tlynn78

#23 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:29 am

BackInTex wrote:
We and another family rented a house in Big Sky, MT as home base. We will be there June 19 to June 25. We will visit Yellowstone and Glacier, maybe Grand Tetons, but now my wife wants to schedule a white water raft trip so something may have to give. If so, it will be the Tetons.

Gravity Hill in OK,
Chimney Rock, NE
Mt. Rushmore, SD,
Devils Tower, WY

Glad you included the highlight of the trip!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Spock

#24 Post by Spock » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:06 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

Gravity Hill in OK,
Chimney Rock, NE
Mt. Rushmore, SD,
Devils Tower, WY

Glad you included the highlight of the trip!
If you want to flirt with a girl at the Little Bighorn, buy a book there on the Cheyenne. If the same girl is working as when we were there in 2014-she was a Cheyenne and happy that I bought a book on them. She said everybody forgets about the Cheyenne. Oh well, worth a try anyway.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#25 Post by Vandal » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:14 am

Mystery solved:

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster