Some New TV Season Odds and Ends

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
macrae1234

Some New TV Season Odds and Ends

#1 Post by macrae1234 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:37 am

"Back to You" the Kelsey Grammer Patricia Heaton has been given a full season
Samantha Who? Christina Applegate's new show has been given more episodes it is holding over 80 per cent of its Dancing..Stars lead in audience
Cane and Moonlight have been given 4 more episodes to see if they can find an audience. Again the Amy curse continues, every show put in her Tuesday at 10 time slot has died a quick death since they cancelled Judging Amy. Only Close to Home Jennifer Finnegan's legal show survived when it moved to Friday. Maybe Cane will replace Moonlight on that night. The Moonlight premise was done better a few years ago with a show called Forever Knight

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:09 pm

I've decided to give up on Journeyman. But I'm using the on-line episodes to catch up on Pushing Daisies. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:25 pm

Bob78164 wrote:I've decided to give up on Journeyman. But I'm using the on-line episodes to catch up on Pushing Daisies. --Bob
I gave up a couple episodes ago.

Did he figure anything out yet?

tanstaafl2

#4 Post by tanstaafl2 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:58 pm

Moonlighting is pretty bad and I will probably give up on that one. But I find a kind of like Journeyman and didn't really expect any great revelations anytime soon. If I can watch Lost and Heroes then one develops a low expectation for revelations.

But I enjoy the individual episodes enough to ride along on the off chance it lasts long enough for a revelation or two.

That said, the fact that I am starting to like it is pretty much the kiss of death. Should be cancelled any time now...

Still watching Daisies for the moment. Never got started on Reapers and doubt I am the correct demographic anyway. I am hanging with Chuck for the moment. Not much else of note amongst the new shows otherwise.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:01 pm

tanstaafl2 wrote:Moonlighting is pretty bad and I will probably give up on that one. But I find a kind of like Journeyman and didn't really expect any great revelations anytime soon. If I can watch Lost and Heroes then one develops a low expectation for revelations.

But I enjoy the individual episodes enough to ride along on the off chance it lasts long enough for a revelation or two.

That said, the fact that I am starting to like it is pretty much the kiss of death. Should be cancelled any time now...

Still watching Daisies for the moment. Never got started on Reapers and doubt I am the correct demographic anyway. I am hanging with Chuck for the moment. Not much else of note amongst the new shows otherwise.
I watched the first episode of "Moonlight" but wasn't impressed enough to use up space on my DVR for it. "Journeyman" is still on my record list, but if some more revelations don't start happening I'm going to give it up.
"Chuck" and "Reaper" seem to have the same demographic in mind - the 20-something slacker crowd, and I'm watching both of them, intrigued that they have the latest gadgets (Prius and iPhone) even though they're still living at home and/or doing low-wage jobs.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

KillerTomato

#6 Post by KillerTomato » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:27 pm

earendel wrote: "Chuck" and "Reaper" seem to have the same demographic in mind - the 20-something slacker crowd, and I'm watching both of them, intrigued that they have the latest gadgets (Prius and iPhone) even though they're still living at home and/or doing low-wage jobs.
Can't talk about "Chuck," but on "Reaper" the car was a gift from Sam's parents.
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

peacock2121

#7 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:59 am

I have given up on Cane. I have more episodes 'in the can' and I will be fast forwarding through them.

Same goes with that Back to Yo.

I have not seen the Samatha Who one yet.

I am also done with Big Shots (I think that is the name).

Never taped the vampire one.

I like Journeyman.

My newest fave is Life.

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:34 am

KillerTomato wrote:
earendel wrote: "Chuck" and "Reaper" seem to have the same demographic in mind - the 20-something slacker crowd, and I'm watching both of them, intrigued that they have the latest gadgets (Prius and iPhone) even though they're still living at home and/or doing low-wage jobs.
Can't talk about "Chuck," but on "Reaper" the car was a gift from Sam's parents.
That's some gift - at least $20K for the base model. I guess it's the least they could do considering they sold their son's soul to the Devil.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

silverscreenselect

#9 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:21 am

I have been watching Journeyman and find it's getting better, in part, every week.

The part of each show that deals with the people that Journeyman tries to "help" has improved week to week, primarily as it has been given more air time. You just can't set up new characters that easily in 44 minutes of air time. I also like the way they play with the time travel paradox of him meeting or near-meeting relatives in the past.

The overall storyline of why all this is happening and why his girlfriend disappeared and why she is giving him bits and pieces of help doesn't worry me that much because I have the feeling it wont be that interesting once I get to know the answers (if the show lasts that long).

I'm having a tougher time dealing with his personal life aspects. His wife is weird. I can buy her throwing him out and I can buy her sticking with him, but this back-and-forth sometimes supportive and somtimes ticked off just doesn't work. Plus the actress who plays the wife is very annoying.

I doubt I'm going to have to worry about it too long. I expect some shows to get the ax next week before sweeps starts on Thursday and Journeyman is close to the top of the potential cancellation list.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#10 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:25 am

I'm still recommending "Life".
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

peacock2121

#11 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:43 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:I'm still recommending "Life".
Me too!

It is transformational.

"I got in trouble because I was not in the present."

"There is no past and there is no future. All there is is now. And now. And now."

I love this show!

MarleysGh0st

#12 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:51 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:I'm still recommending "Life".
"Life"? That's really a new TV show, not what you suddenly experience when you turn off the set?

Details, please.

peacock2121

#13 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:54 am

silverscreenselect

Re: Some New TV Season Odds and Ends

#14 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:46 am

macrae1234 wrote:"Cane and Moonlight have been given 4 more episodes to see if they can find an audience.

Cane, Moonlight and other new shows have not been given more episodes. They have ordered more scripts, which does not commit the network to broadcast the episodes. With a writer's strike possible, the networks are trying to stockpile as many scripts as they can so they have programming for the next few months.

That's one reason that Viva Laughlin has been the only scripted show to be cancelled this season. In most years, Cavemen, Big Shots and others would have gotten the heaveho by now, but the networks don't want to cancel shows then find they can't air replacement programming.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#15 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:57 am

I saw Viva Laughlin on the airplane trip to New Orleans. It really sucked. I wanted to like it because I really, really, really like Hugh Jackman, but I couldn't. Sorry Hugh.

eyégor
???????

#16 Post by eyégor » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:26 am

This new season is an overall dud, even though I do watch several new entries. I also find myself watching shows much more closely in the ratings, primarily because I have a network on the TWOP TV Big Shots game.
(trollarama is currently 189 out of 25K+ entries)

Aliens in America - The pilot was promising, but there was no effective follow through. It would be going, going, gone except it is on the CW.
Ratings - 1.6, 1.6. 1.3, 1.6, 1.6 this week

Back 2 U - Saw the 1st episode. Sadly was what I expected. Didn't go back
Ratings 4.6, 4.4, 4.1, 4.6, preempted for WS this week

Big Shots Never saw it -& see it while you can
Ratings 7.5, 5.7, 5.9, 5.6, 5.2 last night & 19% loss by the 1/2 hr

Bionic Woman - ditto
Ratings 8.5, 6.9, 6.5, 5.5, 4.8 this week

Cane - notice the trend?
7.5, 6.0, 6.0, 5.9, 5.4 this week

Cavemen - righhhht
Ratings 6.1, 4.5, 4.6, 4.5 this week - preempted for Charlie Brown next week

Chuck - I like Chuck, the critics like Chuck, the viewers? not so much. It is up against Dancing with the Stars, though.
Ratings 5.6, 5.2, 4.5, 5.0, 4.4 this week

Dirty, Sexy Money - Haven't seen it, but is supposed to be better than your average evening soaper
Ratings 7.4, 6.5, 5.9, 6.2, 6.1 this week

Gossip Girl - May be the birth of niche broadcasting on a traditional network. Is terrible in Nielsens, but #1 on the internet. Crafted much better than a teen soap deserves. A guilty pleasure.
Ratings 2.3, 1.7, 1.8, 1.8, 1.7, 1.8 this week

J-man - I think this show could grow a following in the right timeslot. This isn't it. I watch it over the web exclusively. Say goodnight, Gracie.
Ratings 5.8, 5.3, 4.4, 4.4, 4.0 this week

Life - I tried, but it just doesn't do it for me. Not for too many others either.
Ratings 6.4, 5.7, 5.2, 5.0, 4.5 this week

Life is Wild - Bad #s even for The CW
Ratings 1.2, 0.7, 1.1 this week

Moonlight - Saw it once. That was enough
Ratings 5.7, 5.2, 4.6, 5.0 last week

Private Practice - No interest here
Ratings 9.8, 8.4. 8.2, 8.1, 8.1 this week

Pushing Daisies - I thought I was diabetic after I watched the pilot.
Ratings 8.3, 6.7, 6.6, 6.3 this week

Reaper - two words, Ray Wise
Ratings 2.1, 1.8, 1.8, 2.1, 1.8 this week

Big Bang Theory - This is surprisingly better than I thought it would be. Still don't watch it
Ratings 6.0, 5.4, 5.2, 5.2, 5.6 this week

I know I skipped some shows, but....

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#17 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:40 am

eyégor wrote: Chuck - I like Chuck, the critics like Chuck, the viewers? not so much. It is up against Dancing with the Stars, though.
Ratings 5.6, 5.2, 4.5, 5.0, 4.4 this week

Dirty, Sexy Money - Haven't seen it, but is supposed to be better than your average evening soaper
Ratings 7.4, 6.5, 5.9, 6.2, 6.1 this week

Gossip Girl - May be the birth of niche broadcasting on a traditional network. Is terrible in Nielsens, but #1 on the internet. Crafted much better than a teen soap deserves. A guilty pleasure.
Ratings 2.3, 1.7, 1.8, 1.8, 1.7, 1.8 this week

Private Practice - No interest here
Ratings 9.8, 8.4. 8.2, 8.1, 8.1 this week

Pushing Daisies - I thought I was diabetic after I watched the pilot.
Ratings 8.3, 6.7, 6.6, 6.3 this week
We have tried watching the following shows.

Chuck was good, but Tivo had some sort of glitch and stopped recording it after the first episode.

Jeff and I have been watching Dirty Sexy Money, but the writing has gotten horrible and we may end up taking the show off our Tivo Season Pass..

Gossip Girl is good, Maddie is as addicted to the show, as she is to the books.

Private Practice is a disappointment. Most of the time I end up watching it because it's on after Pushing Daisies, which we watch live, but it's unsatisfying. It's like eating at McDonald's, you get fed, but you aren't really dining.

We love the show Pushing Daisies. Yes it's treacly, but it's one of the few shows that I can sit down and watch with my kids that we can enjoy together. (Ugly Betty is the other show.) I love how Jim Dale narrates and Kristen Chenoweth busts into song. When we watched Wednesday's episode Emma commented, "why don't they just wear gloves and touch each other" ...sure enough they did. It made her feel good that she suggested it.