My New Novel

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
danielh41

My New Novel

#1 Post by danielh41 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:57 am

I've been writing stories since I was a kid, and I've started I don't know how many novels. I've even finished a few, and I dabbled in submitting a couple of them to agents and publishers. But I would quickly get discourage and stop submitting. The stuff I wrote was usually in the suspense thriller genre.

In 2013, I decided to try to write a serious novel, one that tackled big issues like life and love and the loss of a spouse, etc. I pounded out over 60,000 words on it during NaNoWriMo 2013 and then didn't like where it was going. I've been sporadically revising it ever since, still never getting to an actual end.

Last year, during periods where I was stuck on that novel, I started writing something else just for fun and posting it one chapter at a time at a couple of sites devoted to that particular erotica sub-genre. It became fairly popular at those sites, and what became the final chapter of that novel actually won a year-end Readers Choice award for its category at Literotica.com. And I kind of liked how the whole thing came together, so much that I decided to polish it up and publish it.

I really didn't know how to query or pitch it, so even at the beginning, I thought about publishing it myself. I have a friend here in the area who got her first dystopian YA novel published by a small independent press. She had paid for a professional edit in order to get it accepted, and she still had to do her own marketing for the book. Her royalty from this small press was 37 cents per copy. That publisher went under, and she got the rights back and published the book on her own. She still had to do her own marketing, but her royalty per copy was ten times what it was from that small press. I figured the odds of getting my novel accepted by one of the big five publishing houses was almost nil (even if I did figure out how to pitch it), and after hearing about my friend's struggles, I ruled out submitting to independent presses. So, I went ahead and published it myself.

It has been out about six weeks, and sales have been OK (although when I give members of my writing group some of my sales numbers, some of the ones who have self-published tell me that it is selling VERY well). Not knowing how to categorize it, I listed it as erotica, although there's very little actual sex in it.

It's on Amazon in paperback: https://www.amazon.com/Volunteer-Novel- ... 1534635246 and on Kindle: https://www.amazon.com/Volunteer-D-Jona ... 01HAM329Q/

Bob Juch

Re: My New Novel

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:09 am

It's now on my Kindle. I'll bump it up in the queue.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

danielh41

#3 Post by danielh41 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:25 am

Bob Juch wrote:It's now on my Kindle. I'll bump it up in the queue.
Thanks Bob!

I have a book signing scheduled for September 7th, from 5:00 to 8:00 PM at The Last Word bookstore in Fort Worth, for anyone in the DFW area. The Last Word just opened in May and is on Jennings street in Fort Worth.

jaybee

#4 Post by jaybee » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:29 am

Just added it to my Kindle too.

I have a friend who has 7 or 8 books out via small-time publishers. He has just recently joined up with a local authors group. Their focus is on marketing, not critiquing each others work. Too soon to tell if it will have an impact on his sales, but the idea of a local group pooling knowledge and contacts sounds good.
Jaybee

jarnon

#5 Post by jarnon » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:42 am

Whoo-hoo D.H.! That's an imaginative premise. And you sure have the expertise to write about it.
danielh41 wrote:I have a book signing scheduled for September 7th, from 5:00 to 8:00 PM at The Last Word bookstore in Fort Worth.
Will you be signing au naturel?
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

danielh41

#6 Post by danielh41 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:55 am

jaybee wrote:Just added it to my Kindle too.

I have a friend who has 7 or 8 books out via small-time publishers. He has just recently joined up with a local authors group. Their focus is on marketing, not critiquing each others work. Too soon to tell if it will have an impact on his sales, but the idea of a local group pooling knowledge and contacts sounds good.
Thanks jaybee. My writing group is actually a critique group, but we did have a presentation on marketing at our last meeting.

danielh41

#7 Post by danielh41 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:57 am

jarnon wrote:Whoo-hoo D.H.! That's an imaginative premise. And you sure have the expertise to write about it.
danielh41 wrote:I have a book signing scheduled for September 7th, from 5:00 to 8:00 PM at The Last Word bookstore in Fort Worth.
Will you be signing au naturel?
Funny you should say that. There is an art school just a few blocks from that bookstore. I'm hoping to get a modeling gig for the afternoon figure drawing class there before the signing and that some of the students come over and buy a book.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#8 Post by Vandal » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:51 pm

Congratulations on your publication.

Now that you're an author, welcome to crazy-town!
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

jarnon

#9 Post by jarnon » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:49 pm

I just finished this book on Kindle, and I enjoyed it a lot. You started with an imaginative premise and thoughtfully followed it through. I'd have thought the novel was the work of an experienced professional writer.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:16 am

jarnon wrote:I just finished this book on Kindle, and I enjoyed it a lot. You started with an imaginative premise and thoughtfully followed it through. I'd have thought the novel was the work of an experienced professional writer.
I haven't started yet. I have too much going on.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Spock

#11 Post by Spock » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:46 am

Adding it to my list.

danielh41

#12 Post by danielh41 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:55 pm

jarnon wrote:I just finished this book on Kindle, and I enjoyed it a lot. You started with an imaginative premise and thoughtfully followed it through. I'd have thought the novel was the work of an experienced professional writer.
Thanks jarnon! And thanks for the Amazon review too!

danielh41

#13 Post by danielh41 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:42 pm

After some long technical delays, we got the audiobook version of The "Volunteer" into production:

Audible: https://www.audible.com/pd/Erotica-Sexu ... B0785NJCZN

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/The-Volunteer-A- ... 077YR8NSY/

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/audiobook/t ... 1322630342

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#14 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:02 pm

Finally got around to installing the Kindle app, and used the promotional coupon they gave me to buy your book. Looking forward to reading it. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson