Transcript 04/17/08 - George Matangos

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 04/17/08 - George Matangos

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:10 pm

George Matangos
Hummelstown, PA
Attorney

Meredith says that George, as an attorney, should be used to stressful situations.

George: Well, criminals don't make me nervous, Meredith, but you certainly do.

Meredith: I do?

George: Absolutely!

Meredith: I make you more nervous than a felon?

George: Multiple felons!

$100
Ombrophobics often carry umbrellas because they have an acute feat of what?

A: Rain B: Rocks
C: Spiders D: Al Roker

$200
In what sport do participants begin competition at a prearranged "tee time"?

A: Sailing B: Golf
C: Fencing D: Tennis

$300
Approximately 10,000 avalanches occur each winter in which of these U.S. states?

A: Utah B: New Jersey
C: Alabama D: Oklahoma

$500
Which of these comic book heroes is part of a crime-fighting pair widely referred to as the "Dynamic Duo"?

A: Superman B: The Incredible Hulk
C: Batman D: Spider-Man

$1,000
Because of its name, which of these publishing companies might you mistakenly think was owned by a famous country music couple?

A: Simon & Schuster B: McGraw-Hill
C: Rand McNally D: HarperCollins

$2,000
If all the current U.S. Supreme Court justices got manicures and pedicures, how many total fingers and toes would be pampered?

A: 120 B: 150
C: 180 D: 210

As a lawyer, George knows how many justices there are. As a defense attorney, he has to worry about his math. He takes a moment to make sure.

$4,000
What is the title of the 2007 Bill Clinton bestseller that is subtitled "How Each of Us Can Change the World"?

A: Believing B: Connecting
C: Voting D: Giving

George saw Clinton talk about this on a late-night talk show. He's almost positive it's "Giving".

$8,000
Which of these adjectives originally derives from a Greek word meaning "large statue"?

A: Colossal B: Enormous
C: Gigantic D: Gargantuan

George is of Greek descent. His mother is going to come after him, if he doesn't remember. When they went to Greece, he was the one his children leaned on, because they don't know much Greek, but he was only a little help to them. George asks the audience.

ATA: A: 77% B: 3% C: 5% D: 15%

George: The Colossus of Rome. I'm going A: Colossal, final answer.

-- Commercial Break --

$16,000
What type of animal is the American Oystercatcher?

A: Bird B: Fish
C: Snake D: Spider

50/50 leaves A & B.

$25,000
In 2005, what country became the third European nation, after the Netherlands and Belgium, to legalize gay marriage?

A: Austria B: France
C: Spain D: Italy

George works in criminal law; he doesn't know much about marriage law. He thinks he's read about this. Italy strikes him, for some reason.

PAF: George calls his coworker, Nick. He repeats the question twice, without reading the choices.

Nick: That would be Spain, George.

George: Are you sure about that?

Nick: Well, as you know, I don't know much about gay marriage. And I'm not married--

-- Commercial Break --

George is getting emotional, thinking about everyone who has helped him get where he is and what he can do for a lot of people.

$50,000
Which of these weepy dramas was co-written by comedian and political pundit Al Franken?

A: Marvin's Room B: When a Man Loves a Woman
C: Mr. Holland's Opus D: Regarding Henry

George switches the question.

STQ $50,000
In which of places would you most likely find a natural formation known as a "polynya"?

A: The Arctic Ocean B: The Florida Everglades
C: The Sahara Desert D: The Amazon River

George: I'm going to say B: The Florida Everglades, final answer.

George leaves with $25,000.

-- The Horn --

Answers:
$100: A: Rain
$200: B: Golf
$300: A: Utah
$500: C: Batman
$1,000: B: McGraw-Hill
$2,000: C: 180
$4,000: D: Giving
$8,000: A: Colossal
$16,000: A: Bird
$25,000: C: Spain
$50,000: B: When a Man Loves a Woman
STQ $50,000: A: The Arctic Ocean

tanstaafl2

#2 Post by tanstaafl2 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:54 pm

Don't know how old this cast member was or his race but I am guessing there is a decent chance he would qualify as MAWG. Figures it would take a MAWG attorney to finally get a decent-ish run.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#3 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:59 pm

Even though I guessed the correct answer, I had to look up polynya. Wintergreen will be interested in its Russian origins.
From wiki:

A polynya (US common spelling) or polynia (UK common spelling) (Russian: полынья, Russian pronunciation: [pəlɨˈnʲja] 'ice hole') is an area of open water surrounded by sea ice. It is now used as geographical term for areas of sea in Arctic or Antarctic regions which remain unfrozen for much of the year. The term derives from the Russian word Полынья for a hole in the ice, and was adopted in the 19th century by polar explorers to describe navigable portions of the sea. [1]
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

earendel

Re: Transcript 04/17/08 - George Matangos

#4 Post by earendel » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:28 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:George Matangos
Hummelstown, PA
Attorney
Is this where those little Hummel figurines come from? When I started working for the Corps the chief of our division was a big collector.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4,000
What is the title of the 2007 Bill Clinton bestseller that is subtitled "How Each of Us Can Change the World"?

A: Believing B: Connecting
C: Voting D: Giving

George saw Clinton talk about this on a late-night talk show. He's almost positive it's "Giving".
As often as Bill and George, Sr. have been on the small screen the past few years appealing for contributions for various disasters, this wasn't a hard question.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8,000
Which of these adjectives originally derives from a Greek word meaning "large statue"?

A: Colossal B: Enormous
C: Gigantic D: Gargantuan

George is of Greek descent. His mother is going to come after him, if he doesn't remember. When they went to Greece, he was the one his children leaned on, because they don't know much Greek, but he was only a little help to them. George asks the audience.

Afterward Meredith said, "Colossus of Rhodes" (as any good Civ player would know).
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000
In 2005, what country became the third European nation, after the Netherlands and Belgium, to legalize gay marriage?

A: Austria B: France
C: Spain D: Italy

George works in criminal law; he doesn't know much about marriage law. He thinks he's read about this. Italy strikes him, for some reason.

PAF: George calls his coworker, Nick. He repeats the question twice, without reading the choices.

Nick: That would be Spain, George.

George: Are you sure about that?

Nick: Well, as you know, I don't know much about gay marriage. And I'm not married--
[/qupte]

Hmmm...there's a joke in there somewhere but I can't find it.

If this had been in my stack I'd have been going with the PAF also because I don't think this is one the audience will know and since I have no idea, the 50/50 won't do any good.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50,000
Which of these weepy dramas was co-written by comedian and political pundit Al Franken?

A: Marvin's Room B: When a Man Loves a Woman
C: Mr. Holland's Opus D: Regarding Henry

George switches the question.
I'd do the same.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:STQ $50,000
In which of places would you most likely find a natural formation known as a "polynya"?

A: The Arctic Ocean B: The Florida Everglades
C: The Sahara Desert D: The Amazon River

George: I'm going to say B: The Florida Everglades, final answer.

George leaves with $25,000.
Might as well use my 50/50. I had a sneaking suspicion that the word has some Russian connection, meaning only A is likely, but I wouldn't have been sure enough. The 50/50 would have left A and something else; depending upon what it was, I'd go for it.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:29 am

ulysses5019 wrote:Even though I guessed the correct answer, I had to look up polynya. Wintergreen will be interested in its Russian origins.
From wiki:

A polynya (US common spelling) or polynia (UK common spelling) (Russian: полынья, Russian pronunciation: [pəlɨˈnʲja] 'ice hole') is an area of open water surrounded by sea ice. It is now used as geographical term for areas of sea in Arctic or Antarctic regions which remain unfrozen for much of the year. The term derives from the Russian word Полынья for a hole in the ice, and was adopted in the 19th century by polar explorers to describe navigable portions of the sea. [1]
So next time I'm stuck in traffic and someone cuts me off I'm going to yell "polynya" at them, 'cause it's better than calling them an ice hole.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:41 am

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:George is of Greek descent. His mother is going to come after him, if he doesn't remember. When they went to Greece, he was the one his children leaned on, because they don't know much Greek, but he was only a little help to them. George asks the audience.

Afterward Meredith said, "Colossus of Rhodes" (as any good Civ player would know).
I replayed the tape a couple times to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding what George said. It was definitely "Rome". I think his mother needs to give him a refresher course on their Greek heritage! :lol:
Last edited by MarleysGh0st on Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:42 am

tanstaafl2 wrote:Don't know how old this cast member was or his race but I am guessing there is a decent chance he would qualify as MAWG. Figures it would take a MAWG attorney to finally get a decent-ish run.
Yes, he was a MAWG. But so was Iron Butt.

tanstaafl2

#8 Post by tanstaafl2 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:11 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
tanstaafl2 wrote:Don't know how old this cast member was or his race but I am guessing there is a decent chance he would qualify as MAWG. Figures it would take a MAWG attorney to finally get a decent-ish run.
Yes, he was a MAWG. But so was Iron Butt.
Yes, but Iron Butt wasn't an attorney as I recall. Back in the good ol' days of the phone game when they had real contestants rather than cast members I seem to recall that the combination of MAWGs who were attorneys tended to do rather well, as illustrated by several of the current bored residents!
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

NellyLunatic1980

#9 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:28 am

$25K: Leaning toward France, but not sure enough to lock it in. I better PAF.

$50K: I knew this one before the choices even came up.

$50K #2: Good thing I never would've seen this one. I would've guessed the Amazon.