Transcript 9/23/2016 - Jon Colby

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 9/23/2016 - Jon Colby

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:56 am

Fibs and Facts Week

Jon Colby
Indianapolis, IN
teacher

Jon isn't interested in a vacation or a dream home; he wants to win the million to help children. His wife just quit her job in order to start a non-profit to help chlidren with literacy skills. Jon's +1 is Mike Davis, who he describes as a child genius.

$500: Jimmy Carter, Alice Walker and Kanye West are all on Biography.com's list of "Famous People Born" where?
A - in a Costco
B - in Victorian England
C - in a test tube
D - in Georgia

Jon was concerned because he didn't know which state they might be born in but the answers made it clear.
Spoiler
Answer: A (in Georgia)
$1000: Promising to find an eco-friendly solution, drugstore chain CVS admitted in 2016 that customers have been "very concerned with the length of our" what?
A - Twizzlers
B - receipts
C - pharmacists' chest hair
D - store greeters' hugs

Jon says that
Spoiler
all the coupons they give out are ridiculous
Spoiler
Answer: B (receipts)
$2000: Which of these is a Spanish-language version of a popular sitcom and NOT a Spanish-language version of a popular game show?
A - El Precio Juste
B - La Rolota de la Fortuna
C - Familia Moderna
D - Quien Quiere Ser Millionario
Spoiler
Answer: C (Familia Moderna)
$3000: Since it's butted up against a vital organ, your left what is smaller than your right one?
A - eye
B - foot
C - lung
D - ear

Jon says it would be weird if
Spoiler
one eye or one ear was larger than the other
and
Spoiler
he doesn't know any vital organ near the foot
Spoiler
Answer: C (lung)
$5000: Pioneering a new type of ink that uses smaller molecules, Harlem-based Ephemeral recently introduced a tattoo that fittingly does what?
A - grows larger over time
B - glows in the dark
C - releases a fragrance
D - fades away after a year

Jon says that
Spoiler
a tattoo that released a fragrance would be delightful
Spoiler
Answer: D (fades away after a year)
commercial break

$7000: Known for their hit sont "Magic Carpet Ride," what band gots its name from the title of a work by Swiss-German novelist Hermann Hesse?
A - Lynyrd Skynyrd
B - Blue Öyster Cult
C - Steppenwolf
D - The Byrds

Jon says he knows the song and all the lyrics but he's not going to say anything because he's going to ask the audience.
Spoiler
Ask the Audience results:
A - 12%
B - 7%
C - 62%
D - 14%
That's what Jon thought. He was concerned that he was confusing it with a theater in Chicago.
Spoiler
Answer: C (Steppenwolf)
$10,000: Earning a personal commendation from First Lady Dolley Madison, on May 5, 1809 Mary Kies became the first American woman to do what?
A - be elected to Congress
B - receive a patent
C - serve as an Army general
D - use a telephone

Jon says that
Spoiler
1809 is too early for a telephone, or for a woman to be elected to Congress or serve as an Army general
Spoiler
Answer: B (receive a patent)
$20,000: When a ban was lifted recently, Ireland became the first European country since the late 1990s allowed to export what to the United States?
A - mobile telephones
B - beef
C - clothing
D - liquor

Jon says that
Spoiler
we have great technology so we don't need Irish phones, and Irish whiskey has been around for a long time
. After a moment
Spoiler
he remembers the mad cow scare
Spoiler
Answer: B (beef)
commercial break

$30,000: On Forbes' list of the world's highest-paid athletes of 2016, the top 5 include players in all but which of these sports?
A - basketball
B - soccer
C - tennis
D - football

Jon was hoping for a sports question but this is about money. He knows that
Spoiler
Michael Jackson and LeBron James have been up there for a while, and that soccer players in Europe are very well paid as well
. He decides to use his 50:50, saying
Spoiler
"I know it's going to be between C and D"
50:50 results
C and D
He jokes that his +1 would be useless because he graduated from high school at age 14 and didn't pay attention to sports. He calls Mike down anyway to talk it over. They banter about Jon insulting Mike and then calling on him, and discuss the price of tickets to tennis matches and football games. Jon mentions
Spoiler
Andrew Luck signing a $146 million contract for five years
. Jon finally decides to walk away with $20,000.
Spoiler
Answer: D (football)

MILLIONAIRE FIBS AND FACTS "QUESTION OF THE DAY": Which of the following is NOT a symptom of atrial fibrillation?
A - general fatigue
B - shortness of breath and anxiety
C - sweating
D - muscle pain
Spoiler
Answer: D (muscle pain)

ghostjmf

Re: Transcript 9/23/2016 - Jon Colby

#2 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:09 pm

10K: same process of elim as contestant

20K: it wasn't a "scare". Someone I knew died of it. They claim this person was infected in Britain, which they can't prove. Just gives US officials an easy way to say "its not here".

30K: Another impossibly under-rated Q. Probably use all lifelines & still walk here.
Last edited by ghostjmf on Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:11 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Fibs and Facts Week

Jon Colby
Indianapolis, IN
teacher

Jon isn't interested in a vacation or a dream home; he wants to win the million to help children. His wife just quit her job in order to start a non-profit to help chlidren with literacy skills. Jon's +1 is Mike Davis, who he describes as a child genius.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$30,000: On Forbes' list of the world's highest-paid athletes of 2016, the top 5 include players in all but which of these sports?
A - basketball
B - soccer
C - tennis
D - football

Jon was hoping for a sports question but this is about money. He knows that
Spoiler
Michael Jackson and LeBron James have been up there for a while, and that soccer players in Europe are very well paid as well
. He decides to use his 50:50, saying
Spoiler
"I know it's going to be between C and D"
50:50 results
C and D
He jokes that his +1 would be useless because he graduated from high school at age 14 and didn't pay attention to sports. He calls Mike down anyway to talk it over. They banter about Jon insulting Mike and then calling on him, and discuss the price of tickets to tennis matches and football games. Jon mentions
Spoiler
Andrew Luck signing a $146 million contract for five years
. Jon finally decides to walk away with $20,000.
Spoiler
Answer: D (football)
Somehow I don't think of tennis players as being that highly paid. The winner of the men's draw at Wimbledon only got $2 million so to match the $146 million that Andrew Luck gets paid would require winning 15 Wimbledon-sized purses in a year.
N.B. I checked and found that the list includes not just salaries but endorsements and although Federer's winnings are only $7.8 million, his endorsement deals bring him $60 million more.

I would have gone with tennis without using a lifeline and been very surprised when that wasn't right.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#4 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:06 pm

$5000: Pioneering a new type of ink that uses smaller molecules, Harlem-based Ephemeral recently introduced a tattoo that fittingly does what?
A - grows larger over time
B - glows in the dark
C - releases a fragrance
D - fades away after a year

Jon says that
Spoiler
a tattoo that released a fragrance would be delightful
Spoiler
Answer: D (fades away after a year)
What a great idea! I wish my nephew had that kind.
$20,000: When a ban was lifted recently, Ireland became the first European country since the late 1990s allowed to export what to the United States?
A - mobile telephones
B - beef
C - clothing
D - liquor

Jon says that
Spoiler
we have great technology so we don't need Irish phones, and Irish whiskey has been around for a long time
. After a moment
Spoiler
he remembers the mad cow scare
Spoiler
Answer: B (beef)
Anybody who donates blood probably knows this one.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

MysteryMan-123

#5 Post by MysteryMan-123 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:10 am

500: easy

1,000: easy

2,000: easy

3,000: C is the only one that makes sense.

5,000: I make an educated guess with D.

7,000: know it's not A, I'd end up using ATA here.

10,000: B is the only one that makes sense for the time period.

20,000: I remember hearing about the mad cow disease back in the early 2000s, so i go with B.

30,000: I use 50:50, guess C, and go back to 5k.