Transcript 9/27/16b Joe Taglic (new BB jctags1)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 9/27/16b Joe Taglic (new BB jctags1)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:19 pm

(shown in the first slot on 1/10/17)

Joe Taglic
College student
Valley Stream, N.Y.

Joe’s a 19-year-old junior at M.I.T.

$500
Created in 2001 in a lab at Texas A&M University, the first genetically-cloned cat is known to friends and fans by what apt name?
A: Alley Cat B: Scaredy Cat
C: Copy Cat D: Cat in the Hat
Answer
C: Copy Cat
$1,000
The game “that ties you up in knots,” what recent Toy Hall of Fame inductee was once considered too risqué to be sold in the Sears catalog?
A: Monopoly B: Twister
C: Connect Four D: Candy Land
Answer
B: Twister
$2,000
According to Money magazine, you should usually tip all but which of these people 15-20% of your total bill?
A: Taxi driver B: Waiter
C: Hair stylist D: Real estate agent
Answer
D: Real estate agent
Commercial break

$3,000
Which of these actresses’ mother played Fantine in the original U.S. tour of “Les Misérables,” decades before the actress herself won an Oscar for the same role?
A: Jessica Chastain B: Rachel McAdams
C: Anne Hathaway D: Natalie Portman
Answer
C: Anne Hathaway
$5,000
Located in present-day Syria, what city is believed to be the world’s oldest continuously inhabited city, with humans having lived there for about 11,000 years?
A: Tehran B: Damascus
C: Riyadh D: Alexandria
Answer
B: Damascus
$7,000
Used by climate scientists, a pyranometer measures the amount of what at a given place and time?
A: Fog B: Wind velocity
C: Sunlight hitting the ground D: Snow accumulation
Answer
C: Sunlight hitting the ground
$10,000
Fostering longer-distance romances and genetic diversity, the invention of what device has been called “the most important event in recent human evolution”?
A: Typewriter B: Bicycle
C: Air conditioner D: Phonograph
ATA
“It has to do with either travel or communication, but I don’t think it’s going to be bicycle because bicycle’s not really long-distance.”
A: 48% B: 1% C: 3% D: 48%
Answer
Joe answers A: Typewriter.
The right answer is B: Bicycle.
Joe wins $5,000.
Commercial break

QotD
What outdated yet still theoretically usable objects are found by each seat of the U.S. Supreme Court justices?
A: Spittoons B: Gas lamps
C: Telegraphs D: Bedpans
Answer
A: Spittoons
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

jarnon

Re: Transcript 9/27/16b Joe Taglic (new BB jctags1)

#2 Post by jarnon » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:36 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$10,000
Fostering longer-distance romances and genetic diversity, the invention of what device has been called “the most important event in recent human evolution”?
ATA
“It has to do with either travel or communication, but I don’t think it’s going to be bicycle because bicycle’s not really long-distance.”
Answer
Joe wins $5,000.
I watched this last night and my jaw dropped. It has to set a record for the worst-ever audience Dursting, since they've never been 100% wrong! And IMHO this wasn't a WWOQ™, just an average mid-level question.
Last edited by jarnon on Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Coupon Boy

Re: Transcript 9/27/16b Joe Taglic

#3 Post by Coupon Boy » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:48 pm

jarnon wrote:
ATA
Answer
Joe wins $5,000.
I watched this last night and my jaw dropped. It has to set a record for the worst-ever audience Dursting, since they've never been 100% wrong! And IMHO this wasn't a WWOQ™, just an average mid-level question.
Sadly, this just goes to show that Ask the Audience is pretty much worth nowadays unless you have a brain fart on an early question. :(

Brit Canuck

#4 Post by Brit Canuck » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:07 pm

jarnon wrote:
ATA
Answer
Joe wins $5,000.
It has to be the new world futility record. It even tops the previous record of 98% wrong ( www.youtube.com/watch?v=klolmg4HeKE ).

Back to Stanford next season*, I guess. :roll:

* If there is one; I think Disney has to renew the rights after this season. Pray for some big winners soon to bump up those ratings.

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:47 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Joe Taglic
College student
Valley Stream, N.Y.

Joe’s a 19-year-old junior at M.I.T.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$7,000
Used by climate scientists, a pyranometer measures the amount of what at a given place and time?
A: Fog B: Wind velocity
C: Sunlight hitting the ground D: Snow accumulation
Answer
C: Sunlight hitting the ground
Not wind velocity (anemometer) and probably not snow accumulation (surely a TV weather person would have mentioned the term). I'll try my 50:50 but I'm not sure I could decide unless B or D is one of the two remaining choices.
ATA
Answer
Joe wins $5,000.
This has got to be one of the strangest questions I've seen on this show. I understand the rationale behind the answer but still...
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#6 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:56 am

$3,000
Which of these actresses’ mother played Fantine in the original U.S. tour of “Les Misérables,” decades before the actress herself won an Oscar for the same role?
A: Jessica Chastain B: Rachel McAdams
C: Anne Hathaway D: Natalie Portman
Answer
C: Anne Hathaway
ATA
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

jctags1

#7 Post by jctags1 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:36 am

I think I spoiled the audience pretty badly on that one but I figured they couldn't be so wrong. Thanks to all the wwtbambored members for taking down show transcripts! Made a world of difference in preparing for the show over the summer.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#8 Post by Estonut » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:12 am

earendel wrote:This has got to be one of the strangest questions I've seen on this show. I understand the rationale behind the answer but still...
The question stunk. The bicycle has been called “the most important event in recent human evolution" by exactly 1 British geneticist.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

jarnon

#9 Post by jarnon » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:13 am

jctags1 wrote:I think I spoiled the audience pretty badly on that one but I figured they couldn't be so wrong. Thanks to all the wwtbambored members for taking down show transcripts! Made a world of difference in preparing for the show over the summer.
Welcome aBored, Joe! This Bored has been around (in one form or another) since you were a toddler, so it's great that Millennials are still discovering it and finding it useful. And none of you fit the stereotype in this topic:

http://wwtbambored.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52609

If you don't know what Dursting means, it comes from this notorious Phone-a-Friend:

That lifeline no longer exists, but a contestant can still be Dursted by a +1 or the audience (as you discovered).
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#10 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:37 am

jctags1 wrote:I think I spoiled the audience pretty badly on that one but I figured they couldn't be so wrong. Thanks to all the wwtbambored members for taking down show transcripts! Made a world of difference in preparing for the show over the summer.
Welcome aBored! --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

bazodee

#11 Post by bazodee » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:57 pm

Regardless of the ATA issue, this was a strange, ill-conceived, poorly written question. More often than not, the writers will cite the source of the quote. But as it is currently written, it's the opinion of a scientist here and there that bicycles were the invention that led to the most genetic diversity. I'm not sure it's even the best answer among the four listed.

I usually fall on the side of the producers and writers and roll my eyes when contestants whine about questions, but there really is enough ambiguity here to protest the judging of this question.

Give it a shot! (and welcome to the Bored)

MysteryMan-123

#12 Post by MysteryMan-123 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:53 am

500: easy

1,000: easy

2,000: easy

3,000: ATA, I only remember Hugh Jackman being in the Les Mis movie.

5,000: Damascus is the only city of the four in Syria.

7,000: 50:50 and hope C and D aren't the remaining two. If they are, I walk.

10,000: If I didn't walk at 7k, I'd walk here. The question is too ambiguous and is the epitome of why we need to go back to the old style of question-writing. The unnecessary filler and half-assed attempts at jokes or puns throw way too many contestants off. It's probably also the reason why there hasn't been a million-dollar winner in almost eight years.