Transcript 9/28/16 Bill Matheny (BB basketball_junkie)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 9/28/16 Bill Matheny (BB basketball_junkie)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:04 pm

Bill Matheny
Catholic priest
Saint Albans, W.V.

Bill has auditioned for “Millionaire” for 17 years. Bill’s +1 is his brother Bob.

$500
Infecting over 2 million Americans each year, “superbugs” are bacteria that got their name because they are disturbingly able to do what?
A: Run faster than a speeding bullet B: Leap over tall buildings
C: Use X-ray vision D: Resist antibiotics
Answer
D: Resist antibiotics
$1,000
Sounding more sultry than they really are, Investopedia.com says that “topless” business meetings cut down on distractions by banning what?
A: Top hats B: Laptops
C: ZZ Top music D: “Top Chef” gossip
Answer
B: Laptops
$2,000
Known for the discovery of 35P/Herschel-Rigollet and described as a “Celestial Cinderella,” Caroline Herschel was one of the earliest successful female what?
A: Chemists B: Paleontologists
C: Botanists D: Astronomers
Answer
D: Astronomers
$3,000
In a #1 hit song by Alan Jackson and Jimmy Buffett, the duo attempt to justify drinking in the middle of a workday with what line of reasoning?
A: “Hey, it’s just light beer” B: “If I don’t drink, I’ll get the shakes”
C: “It’s five o’clock somewhere” D: “We’re all gonna die someday”
Answer
C: “It’s five o’clock somewhere”
$5,000
What nonagenarian’s 2016 NY Times obituary mentioned the sitcom “Barney Miller,” “The Godfather” and outliving an “erroneous report of his death” by 34 years?
A: Woody Allen B: Richard Dreyfuss
C: Dick Van Dyke D: Abe Vigoda
Answer
D: Abe Vigoda
Commercial break

$7,000
Which of these states’ capitals shares its name with a Native American tribe, who traditionally lived on the Great Plains?
A: Nebraska B: South Dakota
C: Illinois D: Wyoming
Answer
D: Wyoming
$10,000
In 1989, the average American household had 2.62 of them. Today, it has 2.54. What are they?
A: Cars B: People
C: Dogs D: Televisions
Answer
B: People
$20,000
Who gained the right to vote in presidential elections when the 23rd Amendment was ratified in 1961?
A: Residents of Washington, D.C. B: 18-year-olds
C: Convicted felons D: People with green cards
Answer
A: Residents of Washington, D.C.
$30,000
Used on jerk chicken and often called “the Jamaican Ketchup,” what condiment is Naomi Campbell said to carry a bottle of in her purse?
A: Pickapeppa Sauce B: Vegemite
C: Lizano D: Maggi Sauce
ATA
A: 57% B: 2% C: 14% D: 27%
Answer
A: Pickapeppa Sauce
Commercial break

$50,000
The term “ailurophile” would best define which of these people?
A: Cat lady B: Horse whisperer
C: Butterfly collector D: Bird watcher
Answer
A: Cat lady
$100,000
If you were visiting Times Square in 1905, you would have seen its first electric sign, which advertised what product?
A: Snuff B: Whiskey
C: Adult theater D: Cigarettes
50/50
50/50 leaves whiskey and cigarettes.
Answer
B: Whiskey
Commercial break

QotD
A study based on the personal letters of Vincent Van Gogh theorizes that he probably cut his ear off because he suffered from what?
A: Heat stroke B: Jaundice
C: Vertigo D: Typhus
Answer
C: Vertigo
$250,000
The subject of one of the world’s most famous paintings, what was the first name of James McNeill Whistler’s mother?
A: Anna B: Joyce
C: Verona D: Margaret
+1
Bill had an idea before the answers appeared, and it’s up there. Bob doesn’t know, but encourages Bill to go for it.
Answer
A: Anna
The horn
Bill will be back on Thursday.
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghostjmf

Re: Transcript 9/28/16 Bill Matheny

#2 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:39 pm

30K: pickapeppa makes sense for jerk chicken. But I don't know what Lizano or Maggi are. ATA

100K: Not adult theaters. +1, prolly 50/50

250K: I thought Anna too, but would not have guts to go, I don't think

I am so rooting for this guy

jarnon

Re: Transcript 9/28/16 Bill Matheny (BB basketball_junkie)

#3 Post by jarnon » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:40 pm

ghostjmf wrote:I am so rooting for this guy
Me too. Thursday's transcripts aren't posted yet, but Millionaire made a video of Bill's $250K question:
Spoiler
Last edited by jarnon on Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

K.P.

#4 Post by K.P. » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:07 pm

This week, they seem to be taking a much more brisk pace with the questions. Bill is the second player this week to reach $30,000 before the second commercial break, and had he not paused for a lifeline, he may well have gotten to $50,000 in act two. I can get used to this.

MysteryMan-123

#5 Post by MysteryMan-123 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:00 am

500: easy

1,000: easy

2,000: easy

3,000: easy

5,000: Abe Vigoda's the only one who's dead.

7,000: Wyoming's capital is the only one of the four whose name sounds Native American.

10,000: It seems daunting at first, but there may be only slightly less TVs because of the advent of computers, smartphones, and tablets. Turns out I'd leave with only 5k.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#6 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:02 pm

$7,000
Which of these states’ capitals shares its name with a Native American tribe, who traditionally lived on the Great Plains?
A: Nebraska B: South Dakota
C: Illinois D: Wyoming
Answer
D: Wyoming
People who live in Cheyenne live closer to my state capitol than I do. Of course, more Coloradans live closer to Cheyenne than just about all of the rest of Wyoming.
$30,000
Used on jerk chicken and often called “the Jamaican Ketchup,” what condiment is Naomi Campbell said to carry a bottle of in her purse?
A: Pickapeppa Sauce B: Vegemite
C: Lizano D: Maggi Sauce
ATA
A: 57% B: 2% C: 14% D: 27%
Answer
A: Pickapeppa Sauce
This is a toughie. I can eliminate vegemite (ugh) and maggi (haven't tried it, but if I want to, it's sometimes on the table at Chinese restaurants).

I thought it was pickapeppa, but lizano -- what's that? OK, 50/50. Let's assume it left vegemite or maggi as the distractor.

Lizano turns out to be a vegetable-based sauce originating in Costa Rica. This is news to me. When I was in Costa Rica, every restaurant we ate at featured a bottle of some delicious concoction called Pura Vida, which is also the motto of the country. Times change, I guess.
$100,000
If you were visiting Times Square in 1905, you would have seen its first electric sign, which advertised what product?
50/50
Answer
It's a New York audience, right? ATA
$250,000
The subject of one of the world’s most famous paintings, what was the first name of James McNeill Whistler’s mother?
+1
Bill had an idea before the answers appeared, and it’s up there. Bob doesn’t know, but encourages Bill to go for it.
Answer
Plus One.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

basketball_junkie

#7 Post by basketball_junkie » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:07 pm

I felt very fortunate with my questions. State capitals, statistics, U.S. Constitution, and vocabulary are strengths. I had submitted the phobia version of "ailuro" for trivia night when I couldn't play. I had remembered old photos of Times Square with Canadian Club whiskey advertised in lights. Also Anna came to me immediately. It seemed that I recalled her name in a caption beneath the portrait in a college textbook eons ago. However, with all the pressure on those two high-dollar questions, I asked for help. I should have gone with my gut on Anna and left my brother Bob in his seat. Bob knew the Luhn algorithm question. He heard it on a "Big Bang Theory" episode. Fortunately, I can give back to my Catholic grade school. If not for my grandfather spending time with me memorizing various lists and the stellar education I received, there would be no appearance on Millionaire.

basketball_junkie

#8 Post by basketball_junkie » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:11 pm

SportsFan, it's a Vegas audience now. I'm not sure it would matter, though. I took the audition test once surrounded by New Yorkers. When they discussed answers, they didn't even know that Lake Ontario touched upstate New York.

K.P.

#9 Post by K.P. » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:57 pm

Congratulations, Bill! A fantastic showing, and you absolutely deserve every penny.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#10 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:12 pm

basketball_junkie wrote:SportsFan, it's a Vegas audience now. I'm not sure it would matter, though. I took the audition test once surrounded by New Yorkers. When they discussed answers, they didn't even know that Lake Ontario touched upstate New York.
Ouch! I knew that!

Thanks, Basketball.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

ghostjmf

#11 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:09 am

Since the final Q has been discussed in this thread rather than its own, let me admit I had no clue on it.

bj, they didn't explain that you were a Catholic priest on the telecast, at least not with any emphasis, until the 2nd day. At which point "it all goes to my school" finally made sense, since you're not allowed to amass fortunes, correct?

At any rate, much congratulation. Some of us have been trying to get on (or get back; I only made it as far as the ROF in the Regis days) for almost as long. You give us hope, & did us long-tryers proud.

basketball_junkie

#12 Post by basketball_junkie » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:54 am

I am a diocesan or "secular" priest who can keep the money. Religious Order priests have to return their winnings to the Order. They take vows of poverty; we don't. However, I don't have any needs or wants. I've been wanting to donate big to the school for years. Thanks for mentioning this idea.

mellytu74

#13 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:03 am

Congrats!!

ElendilPickle

#14 Post by ElendilPickle » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:42 am

Congratulations! I wish I had had your higher-value questions when I was on. :-D

earendel

#15 Post by earendel » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:31 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Bill Matheny
Catholic priest
Saint Albans, W.V.

Bill has auditioned for “Millionaire” for 17 years. Bill’s +1 is his brother Bob.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50,000
The term “ailurophile” would best define which of these people?
A: Cat lady B: Horse whisperer
C: Butterfly collector D: Bird watcher
Answer
A: Cat lady
I get this one thanks to "A Charlie Brown Christmas".
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100,000
50/50
Answer
I'd probably ATA first and then 50:50 depending upon the outcome.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$250,000
+1
Answer
No problem with this one.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."