Transcript 9/30/2016 - Patrick Walsh (carryover contestant)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 9/30/2016 - Patrick Walsh (carryover contestant)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:28 pm

Patrick Walsh
Devon, PA

Patrick is recently engaged and wants to give his fiancée the honeymoon of a lifetime. Patrick's father-in-law and his brothers look down on Patrick because they're all 6'2" to 6'4" and Patrick is only 6' tall. Patrick has $10,000 in his bank and no lifelines.

$20,000: While the name is often used to refer to drugs with a similar effect, which of the following has been largely phased out in the United States?
A - aspirin
B - novocaine
C - morphine
D - penicillin

Patrick says
Spoiler
he's allergic to penicillin so he knows it's still around. He thinks it's either B or C and remembers seeing a show about a doctor who was addicted to morphine and showed the negative effects
. His gut tells him it's
Spoiler
C
and that's his final answer.
Spoiler
Answer: B (novocaine)
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghostjmf

Re: Transcript 9/30/2016 - Patrick Walsh (carryover contesta

#2 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:36 pm

I knew novocaine itself is not prescribed, but morphine isn't either; opioid *derivatives* are.
If I have 50/50 I waste it here (its almost guaranteed to give my original choices).
Last edited by ghostjmf on Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#3 Post by Estonut » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:18 pm

ghostjmf wrote:I knew novocaine itself is not prescribed, but morphine isn't either; opioid derivative
The question doesn't mention prescription.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

ghostjmf

#4 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:45 am

I don't know if what dentists & doctors fill out to get drugs they're going to use on their patients is called a prescription; probably not, but in this case the wording, or lack of it is not a factor.

People other than physicians in hospitals do obtain opioids legally, though, & they do do it by prescription.

It would be interesting to see how much actual unmodified morphine is still being used in hospitals, or by prescription, to outpatients. I'd be surprised if it is.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#5 Post by Estonut » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:23 pm

ghostjmf wrote:It would be interesting to see how much actual unmodified morphine is still being used in hospitals, or by prescription, to outpatients. I'd be surprised if it is.
The TV shows still mention "morphine drip" once in a while and I know for sure it is still used in hospice care.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:35 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Patrick Walsh
Devon, PA

Patrick is recently engaged and wants to give his fiancée the honeymoon of a lifetime. Patrick's father-in-law and his brothers look down on Patrick because they're all 6'2" to 6'4" and Patrick is only 6' tall. Patrick has $10,000 in his bank and no lifelines.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$20,000: While the name is often used to refer to drugs with a similar effect, which of the following has been largely phased out in the United States?
A - aspirin
B - novocaine
C - morphine
D - penicillin

Patrick says
Spoiler
he's allergic to penicillin so he knows it's still around. He thinks it's either B or C and remembers seeing a show about a doctor who was addicted to morphine and showed the negative effects
. His gut tells him it's
Spoiler
C
and that's his final answer.
Spoiler
Answer: B (novocaine)
It's not aspirin nor is it penicillin. Morphine is an opioid and is still in use for extreme pain relief. I can't be sure about novocaine, so I'll use any lifelines I still have.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."