Transcript 10/5/16 Steve Gadlin (new BB SteveGadlin)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/5/16 Steve Gadlin (new BB SteveGadlin)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:39 pm

Steve Gadlin
Web developer
Deerfield, Ill.

Steve also has a business where he draws cartoon cats. It was featured on “Shark Tank.” Steve’s +1 is his college roommate Scott (Miami of Ohio).

$500
Many safety experts say that every time you change your clocks for Daylight Saving Time, you should also change your what?
A: Throw pillow arrangement B: Name
C: Smoke alarm batteries D: Spouse
Answer
C: Smoke alarm batteries
$1,000
Writing a science term paper and using “Schindler’s List” for his film requirement, who graduated Cal State Long Beach 34 years after dropping out?
A: James Cameron B: Steven Spielberg
C: Martin Scorsese D: Francis Ford Coppola
Answer
B: Steven Spielberg
$2,000
“Acrylic, gel or silk?” is a question you’re most likely to be asked when you’re getting a what?
A: Manicure B: Haircut
C: Massage D: Rabies shot
Answer
A: Manicure
$3,000
While it may seem pretentious, Bono claims he actually wears sunglasses even when indoors because he has what condition that makes him sensitive to light?
A: Diabetes B: Glaucoma
C: Shingles D: Osteoporosis
Answer
B: Glaucoma
$5,000
An 18th-century Italian priest who wondered how bats navigated at night, Lazzaro Spallanzani is credited with founding the science of what?
A: Applied mathematics B: Quantum mechanics
C: Ultrasound physics D: Organic chemistry
Answer
C: Ultrasound physics
Commercial break

$7,000
Saying their “national anthem can’t be used as a business tool,” in 2015 whose Supreme Court made it illegal to use “My Golden Bengal” as a ringtone?
A: Bangladesh B: Belarus
C: Burkina Faso D: Barbados
Answer
A: Bangladesh
$10,000
If you’re playing Texas Hold ’Em and see that all of your cards are black, you could potentially have any but which of the following hands?
A: A royal flush B: Two pair
C: A full house D: A straight
Answer
C: A full house
$20,000
Prior to the 2012 sale of Babe Ruth’s jersey for $4.4 million, the record price paid for sports memorabilia was for James Naismith’s “Founding Rules” of what sport?
A: Football B: Basketball
C: Baseball D: Tennis
ATA
A: 9% B: 53% C: 30% D: 8%
Answer
B: Basketball
Commercial break

$30,000
The Instituto Cervantes estimates that Spain is now home to the 4th-largest population of Spanish speakers. The three largest, in descending order, are what?
A: Mexico, U.S., Colombia B: Mexico, Colombia, U.S.
C: U.S., Mexico, Colombia D: Colombia, U.S., Mexico
50/50
50/50 leaves A & B, which are the two Steve was thinking of.
+1
Scott thinks it’s A.
Answer
A: Mexico, U.S., Colombia
Commercial break

QotD
What wrestler was once drafted for France’s peacetime army, but ended up not joining because they didn’t have beds big enough for him?
A: “Macho Man” Randy Savage B: “Stone Cold” Steve Austin
C: André the Giant D: The Rock
Answer
C: André the Giant
$50,000
At Pike Place Market in Seattle, the very first Starbucks store still uses the company’s original logo, which reads “Coffee, Tea” and what?
A: Muffins B: Sundries
C: Spices D: Mineral waters
Answer
Steve answers B: Sundries.
The right answer is C: Spices.
Steve wins $5,000.
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghostjmf

Re: Transcript 10/5/16 Steve Gadlin

#2 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:26 pm

10K: Don't know Hold 'Em rules but hope they are poker rules, as have read/heard this is a form of poker & the hands are poker hands. I once wrote a "poker hands" program as a programming term project, but that doesn't mean I can remember 'em. It would have taken me much longer than contestant, but eventually I would have gotten it. If they gave me the time.

30K: Assuming Mexico 1st. Hope US 2nd, but wouldn't have used the 50/50; its gives you answer & best distractor, it hasn't been random for years. So it would give you A & B, which I've already narrowed it down to. Go for A & hope.

50K: No idea. Unlike contestant, I know sundries are things like hairpins & chapstick & so forth. Doesn't mean the creepo Starbucks people couldn't have thought it would make a good logo. Think "mineral waters" would have been too esoteric even for Starbucks at their beginning. So I'm down to A & C. 50/50. & Maybe +1 after that.

basketball_junkie

#3 Post by basketball_junkie » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:18 pm

Steve taped just before me. He and his Plus One were very friendly. I was hoping he would win more.

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:48 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Steve Gadlin
Web developer
Deerfield, Ill.

Steve also has a business where he draws cartoon cats. It was featured on “Shark Tank.” Steve’s +1 is his college roommate Scott (Miami of Ohio).
A week or so ago TheConfessor posted about Chris's intro giving a hint to the outcome of the show. Since then I've been trying to pay attention and it seems he may be on to something. Today's intro said that "one contestant" would be journeying to the million, and sure enough, there was only one. A couple days ago Chris mentioned contestants and there were two. Are the intros filmed actually before the show or are they done afterward and added to the front in post-production?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50,000
At Pike Place Market in Seattle, the very first Starbucks store still uses the company’s original logo, which reads “Coffee, Tea” and what?
Answer
Steve wins $5,000.
I'm probably one of the very small minority of people who have never been in a Starbucks. I would have to burn lifelines to see what results I got.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

SteveGadlin

#5 Post by SteveGadlin » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:11 am

Hey, this was me! Whoopy!

From what I remember, the intro was actually taped live as I was waiting to walk on to the stage. And since they can't predict how well I'll do, I don't think there's any deliberate correlation between the two things.

Also - I do know what Sundries are! Technically they're just small miscellaneous things. In a hotel, that's generally bath products you may have left at home. But I think you can definitely classify the non-coffee items at Starbucks as sundries. And the word seemed just pretentious enough for a Seattle coffee startup.

That said, I sure wish I would have guessed spices!

Steve

ghostjmf

#6 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:37 am

I don't think they were selling all those non-food items (from coffee cups to things that exist only to advertise Starbucks) when they started out. I'm down on Starbucks because they advertise a good image while doing standard industry bad things, like firing an employee for giving free refills when in employee's home country this is considered hospitality (I was supporting case; employee eventually won), making employees handle very hot equipment w/o enough protection, not giving employees enough hours consistently to qualify for their health insurance, scheduling employees into shifts w/ 4 hours between for "sleep".

And my friend's 16 year-old-daughter when they worked there got a smirk-smirk lecture-for-employees about the significance of that mermaid-with-legs on their logo.

And they burn what might otherwise be decent-tasting coffee.

The way BAM edited the show, it seemed you didn't know what sundries were. Probably you said stuff they edited out.

K.P.

Re: Transcript 10/5/16 Steve Gadlin (new BB SteveGadlin)

#7 Post by K.P. » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:56 am

The intros are done in real time. At least they were last season.

triviawayne

#8 Post by triviawayne » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:53 pm

Intros are done prior to the show, you can see the first up contestant sitting in the front seat to viewers right of the big screen where the questions are displayed, getting ready to stand in front of said screen when Chris introduces them. There is no way to know prior to the game how many players will be on in a given day.

The intro on my show said "contestants", yet I took the entire show.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#9 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:09 pm

SteveGadlin wrote:Hey, this was me! Whoopy!

From what I remember, the intro was actually taped live as I was waiting to walk on to the stage. And since they can't predict how well I'll do, I don't think there's any deliberate correlation between the two things.

Also - I do know what Sundries are! Technically they're just small miscellaneous things. In a hotel, that's generally bath products you may have left at home. But I think you can definitely classify the non-coffee items at Starbucks as sundries. And the word seemed just pretentious enough for a Seattle coffee startup.

Steve
Welcome aBored! --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#10 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:09 pm

SteveGadlin wrote:Hey, this was me! Whoopy!

Steve
Welcome aBored! --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

MysteryMan-123

#11 Post by MysteryMan-123 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:43 pm

500: easy

1,000: easy

2,000: easy

3,000: I know it's not A or C, and I think I heard somewhere that glaucoma affects the eyes.

5,000: C is the only one that makes sense with bats.

7,000: easy

10,000: A Vegas crowd would certainly know this. ATA.

20,000: easy

30,000: I remember hearing somewhere the U.S. actually had slightly more Spanish speakers than some South American countries, so i go with A.

50,000: C seems like the kind of thing they would've sold in 1970s Seattle.

So I'd be facing the 100K question with two lifelines intact.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#12 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:46 pm

$30,000
The Instituto Cervantes estimates that Spain is now home to the 4th-largest population of Spanish speakers. The three largest, in descending order, are what?
A: Mexico, U.S., Colombia B: Mexico, Colombia, U.S.
C: U.S., Mexico, Colombia D: Colombia, U.S., Mexico
50/50
50/50 leaves A & B, which are the two Steve was thinking of.
+1
Scott thinks it’s A.
Answer
A: Mexico, U.S., Colombia
I hope I skip the 50/50. I too am sure it's A or B, and then I have get my Plus One anyway.
$50,000
Answer
Steve wins $5,000.
50/50
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller