Transcript 10/19/16 Paul Zerdin

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/19/16 Paul Zerdin

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:25 pm

Paul Zerdin
Ventriloquist
Las Vegas, Nev.

Paul is originally from Wimbledon, England. He won “America’s Got Talent” in 2015. He’s playing for the Make-a-Wish Foundation. His +1 is his friend Nicholas.

$500
Though you shouldn’t do it, as it’s the “most obvious” hiding spot, The Telegraph says that nearly one in five homeowners hide a spare key where?
A: In the chimney B: At the bottom of the swimming pool
C: In the dishwasher D: Under a potted plant
Answer
D: Under a potted plant
$1,000
Which of the following is the literal meaning of the Spanish name “Margarita,” and NOT a key ingredient in the famous cocktail?
A: Lime B: Tequila
C: Daisy D: Triple sec

Paul is confused by the question and asks the audience.
ATA
A: 1% B: 1% C: 98% D: 0%
Answer
C: Daisy
Commercial break

$2,000
For years, X-ray scanners have been used to keep employees from secretly taking what company’s valuable products home in their stomachs?
A: Sherwin-Williams’ paints B: Philip Morris’ cigarettes
C: General Motors’ cars D: De Beers’ diamonds
Answer
D: De Beers’ diamonds
$3,000
To reduce dust-attracting static electricity, Reader’s Digest suggests using what seemingly worthless household items to clean window blinds?
A: Used dryer sheets B: Empty pill bottles
C: Mildew-covered sponges D: Old toilet paper tubes
50/50
50/50 leaves dryer sheets and pill bottles.
Answer
A: Used dryer sheets
$5,000
Though you don’t need both to live, when Pope Francis was elected, many were alarmed his pneumonectomy as a young man had left him with a single what?
A: Kidney B: Eye
C: Lung D: Ear
Answer
C: Lung
Commercial break

$7,000
Who has said that his over-the-top English accent on “The Drew Carey Show” was “to make up for generations of English actors doing crap Scottish accents”?
A: John Cleese B: Craig Ferguson
C: Ricky Gervais D: Eddie Izzard
Answer
B: Craig Ferguson
$10,000
Located 5,900’ above sea level on Kenya’s Central Plateau, what African capital city has a mild annual average temperature of about 64℉?
A: Dakar B: Nairobi
C: Kinshasa D: Darfur
Answer
B: Nairobi
Commercial break

QotD
The Australian Aboriginal musical instrument known as a didgeridoo is played by doing what?
A: Shaking it B: Drumming it
C: Blowing in it D: Strumming it
Answer
C: Blowing in it
$20,000
By definition, “prestidigitation” and “legerdemain” are two fancy words that can be used to describe what practice in the world of magic?
A: Levitation B: Mentalism
C: Escapology D: Sleight of hand
+1
Paul and Nicholas have both worked as magicians. Paul thought “prestidigitation” just means magic. He’s leaning toward sleight of hand, and Nicholas agrees.
Answer
D: Sleight of hand
The horn
Paul will be back on Thursday.
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghostjmf

Re: Transcript 10/19/16 Paul Zerdin

#2 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:33 pm

So far so good

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:06 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Paul Zerdin
Ventriloquist
Las Vegas, Nev.

Paul is originally from Wimbledon, England. He won “America’s Got Talent” in 2015. He’s playing for the Make-a-Wish Foundation. His +1 is his friend Nicholas.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$1,000
Which of the following is the literal meaning of the Spanish name “Margarita,” and NOT a key ingredient in the famous cocktail?

ATA
Answer
Not sure what confused him here.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$20,000
By definition, “prestidigitation” and “legerdemain” are two fancy words that can be used to describe what practice in the world of magic?
A: Levitation B: Mentalism
C: Escapology D: Sleight of hand
+1
Paul and Nicholas have both worked as magicians. Paul thought “prestidigitation” just means magic. He’s leaning toward sleight of hand, and Nicholas agrees.
Answer
D: Sleight of hand
"Digit" should have led to the answer. I predict he's a "one-and-done" tomorrow.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

ghostjmf

#4 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:37 am

And "legerdemain" means "light of hand" in Middle French, says Webster. For any who speak it.

I had that thought about "digi" too. That 2 not-stupid guys in the heat of the show couldn't come up with that for sure just says something about "heat of show".

Also, most drinks do not contain flowers. Some contain liquor *made* from flowers (say elderberry) but that's about as close as it gets. A few drinks have mint. Or a parsley or celery garnish, but its not an ingredient. Contestant should have reasoned that even if he doesn't drink Margaritas.
Last edited by ghostjmf on Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MysteryMan-123

#5 Post by MysteryMan-123 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:47 pm

500: easy

1,000: easy

2,000: D is the only one that makes sense

3,000: A is the only one that makes sense

5,000: I remember hearing Pope Francis has only one lung, so I go with C.

7,000: I know Craig Ferguson's Scottish, so I go with B

10,000: B is the only one of the four in Kenya. Darfur's a region, not a city, in Sudan.

20,000: I remember hearing about legerdemain in an acting class in high school, so I go with D.

So I'd be facing 30K with all three lifelines intact.

andrewjackson

#6 Post by andrewjackson » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:55 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$1,000

ATA
Answer
I don't think Margarita "literally" means
Spoiler
daisy

It is the name for it in Spanish but the word meant "pearl" in Latin and Greek before being used for
Spoiler
the flower because of the color of the center of flower. Interestingly, that is the same root for the English word "margarine" which comes from the pearl-like fatty acids it was derived from.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:35 am

andrewjackson wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$1,000

ATA
Answer
I don't think Margarita "literally" means
Spoiler
daisy

It is the name for it in Spanish but the word meant "pearl" in Latin and Greek before being used for
Spoiler
the flower because of the color of the center of flower. Interestingly, that is the same root for the English word "margarine" which comes from the pearl-like fatty acids it was derived from.
You are correct,
Spoiler
There is an island off the coast of Venezuela named Margarita due to the number of pearls found in the oysters there.

My dictionary says Spanish for daisy is maya.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

ghostjmf

#8 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:04 am

I wonder if they'll invite the contestant back. Based on a clue with an untruth in it. Did I just actually say "untruth?!". Assuming the PTB still read here, yes.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#9 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:05 pm

$10,000
Located 5,900’ above sea level on Kenya’s Central Plateau, what African capital city has a mild annual average temperature of about 64℉?
A: Dakar B: Nairobi
C: Kinshasa D: Darfur
Answer
B: Nairobi
Plus One.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller