Transcript 10/28/2016 - Daniel Greco (BB emi)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/28/2016 - Daniel Greco (BB emi)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:41 am

Daniel Greco
Providence, RI

$500: Which of the following comes in varieties including inground, above ground and Olympic-sized?
A - caskets
B - couches
C - swimming pools
D - bidets
Spoiler
Answer: C (swimming pools)
$1000: Due to slumping sales during the Vietnam War, what toy got a "makeover" in 1969, being re-released with "life-like hair and [a] beard"?
A - GI Joe
B - Tickle Me Elmo
C - Gumby
D - American Girl doll
Spoiler
Answer: A (GI Joe)
$2000: In a recent Gallup survey of honesty and ethics in various professons, which of these ranked just as low as telemarketers and car salesmen?
A - elementary school teachers
B - anesthesiologists
C - members of Congress
D - librarians
Spoiler
Answer: C (members of Congress)
$3000: According to the Washington Post, in 2015 the US had a record 4,144 what, breaking the previous record of 4,131 set back in 1873?
A - living Civil War veterans
B - breweries
C - telegraph operators
D - spittoon manufacturers

This is a subject close to his heart, as
Spoiler
beer
is a hobby of his.
Spoiler
Answer: B (breweries)
commercial break

$5000: Mentioned in the Queen song "Bohemian Rhapsody," what stock character from Italian theater is usually portrayed as a conceited, boastful clown?
A - Capitano
B - Dottore
C - Arlecchino
D - Scaramouche

Daniel went to a piano bar the other night and requested this song.
Spoiler
Answer: D (Scaramouche)
$7000: What low-cost gym attempts to quiet loud grunters with flashing blue lights and a piercing siren known as the "Lunk Alarm"?
A - Crunch
B - Gold's Gym
C - Planet Fitness
D - Equinox

Daniel is a member of this gym, to work off the beer.
Spoiler
Answer: C (Planet Fitness)
$10,000: Since scientists recently concluded that we experience more jet lag when flying eastward, you'd expect to be extra sleepy after which of these flights?
A - Helsinki to Oslo
B - Mumbai to Tehran
C - Lima to Rio de Janiero
D - Cairo to Algiers

Daniel was in Oslo recently. He says that
Spoiler
Norway is west of Finland
. He then uses his 50:50.
[spoiler="50:50 results":]A and C are left.[/spoiler]Daniel then realizes, and says, that he blew this lifeline.
Spoiler
Answer: C (Lima to Rio de Janeiro)
$20,000: What is the three-letter abbreviation for the degenerative brain disease found in many football players and boxers who've suffered repeated concussions?
A - AST
B - CTE
C - DNL
D - SCP

Daniel is a big sports fan.
Spoiler
Answer: B (CTE)
commercial break

$30,000: Hardcore foodies can likely tell the difference between an Island Creek, a Hama Hama and a European Flat, as they're all varieties of what?
A - mushroom
B - pheasant
C - foie gras
D - oyster

Daniel says it sounds like
Spoiler
D
but he's not sure so he calles for his sister-in-law Gretchen as his +1. She doesn't know either, but she agrees with Daniel that it might be
Spoiler
D
. Daniel then asks the audience.
Spoiler
Ask the Audience results:
A - 26%
B - 10%
C - 10%
D - 54%
Daniel says that life is short and makes
Spoiler
D
his final answer.
Spoiler
Answer: D (oyster)
commercial break

MILLIONAIRE "QUESTION OF THE DAY": The namesake of a present-day city, what Canadian famously discovered gold in Alaska in 1880?
A - William Anchorage
B - Pierre Fairbanks
C - Joseph Juneau
D - Kenneth Kodiak
Spoiler
Answer: C (Joseph Juneau)
$50,000: Who was the last Republican to be elected without the name Bush or Nixon appearing somewhere on the ticket?
A - Dwight Eisenhower
B - Calvin Coolidge
C - Herbert Hoover
D - Warren G. Harding

Daniel knows this one - he says
Spoiler
Nixon was on the ballot with Eisenhower, and Hoover lost to FDR
Spoiler
Answer: C (Herbert Hoover)
$100,000: According to the gospels of Mark and Luke, what crime had been committed by Barabbas, the prisoner the crowd spared over Jesus?
A - adultery
B - murder
C - arson
D - desertion

Daniel says the Bible isn't his strong suit. He eliminates
Spoiler
A and C
and goes back and forth between
Spoiler
B and D
before making
Spoiler
D
his final answer.
Spoiler
Answer: B (murder)

Daniel leaves with $50,000.
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.

ghostjmf

Re: Transcript 10/28/2016 - Daniel Greco

#2 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:29 am

7K: ATA & hope

10: +1

I did know C was eastward flight (yes I screwed up letters before edit) but wasn't sure of others. And I also stupidly thought that more than one could be eastward & they wanted the *farthest* eastward. Which is not what they asked.

30K: Thought oysters based only on "Island Creek" but also thought "too easy". 50/50

100K: Sacred Harp song I know describes Christ as being crucified "between two thieves". Thanks a lot, song. Go with murder because its free guess.
Last edited by ghostjmf on Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:48 pm, edited 6 times in total.

MysteryMan-123

#3 Post by MysteryMan-123 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:26 pm

500: easy

1,000: easy

2,000: easy

3,000: B is the only one that would make sense in 2015

5,000: Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you do the fandango!?

7,000: I've seen Planet Fitness advertise themselves as "not a gym," so I go with C.

10,000: Lima to Rio is the only eastward flight to the four, so I go with C.

20,000: I heard this a lot on the news and in ads for Concussion. It's B.

30,000: Island Creek is a maritime name that would imply D, but I'm not sure it's enough information to go off of. ATA here like Daniel.

50,000: Not A, since Nixon was his running mate. The last Republican President before him was C, so I go with that.

100,000: A and B are the most biblical crimes of the two, so I use 50:50 and hope they aren't both remaining. If so, I walk. If not, I go with B.

So I'd be facing 250K with one lifeline intact.

ghostjmf

#4 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:43 pm

You don't have to walk on 100/K Q. Its free guess. Can't lose 50K if you've passed it.

K.P.

#5 Post by K.P. » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:04 pm

ATA on $7K

My summer cabin is less than two miles from the Hama Hama river, and I can confirm their oysters are indeed delicious.

$50K: +1 and then kick myself for overthinking it. For some reason, I had it in my head that Hoover didn't even get the nomination in 1932, so I couldn't remember if he was a Republican or not. Since he did run, obviously he lost to Democrat FDR.

$100K: Even though I've heard the story at every Good Friday service for the last eight years, I couldn't remember the crime for the life of me. 50:50, and I don't think I could pick murder as the answer. $50k for me.

jarnon

Re: Transcript 10/28/2016 - Daniel Greco (BB emi)

#6 Post by jarnon » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:36 pm

ghostjmf wrote:100K: Sacred Harp song I know describes Christ as being crucified "between two thieves". Thanks a lot, song. Go with murder because its free guess.
Barabbas wasn't one of the criminals crucified with Jesus because he was pardoned. In a movie I saw, Pontius Pilate offers to free one convicted prisoner as a goodwill gesture for Passover. The crowd chose Barabbas. I remember Barabbas in his jail cell, asking the guard, "Why is this good man getting crucified while I go free?" The guard answered, "Your followers were louder."

I have to look up the other two guys who were crucified ... The New Testament says they were robbers. Later Christian books call them Dismas and Gestas.
Last edited by jarnon on Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

ghostjmf

#7 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:45 pm

Thanks for correction, jarnon. Despite art I've seen of 3 crosses, Jesus's the highest, I persisted while answering Q in thinking that pardoned guy was brought down *off* his cross. Would have been in very bad shape.

jarnon

#8 Post by jarnon » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:52 pm

jarnon wrote:In a movie I saw, Pontius Pilate offers to free one convicted prisoner as a goodwill gesture for Passover. The crowd chose Barabbas. I remember Barabbas in his jail cell, asking the guard, "Why is this good man getting crucified while I go free?" The guard answered, "Your followers were louder."
According to IMDB, the film was King of Kings (1961) with Jeffrey Hunter (Star Trek's Capt. Pike) as Jesus and Harry Guardino as Barabbas.

Lucius: Pilate offered that mob a choice.

Barabbas: [incredulous] And they chose me?

Lucius: Your followers yelled the loudest! Go; look at Him who is dying for you!
Last edited by jarnon on Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

emi

#9 Post by emi » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:52 pm

This was my game. Were I playing this game from my couch, I'd never have used a lifeline on the 10K, possibly +1 on the 30K, and definitely ATA on the 100K. It's a lot different playing for huge money in front of an audience than it is playing at home on the couch. I'm disappointed I blew a lifeline on the $10K and used 2 on the $30K when I was 80% sure it was oysters, but at the end of the day, $50K is $50K. I'll take it

earendel

#10 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:26 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Daniel Greco
Providence, RI
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$10,000: Since scientists recently concluded that we experience more jet lag when flying eastward, you'd expect to be extra sleepy after which of these flights?
A - Helsinki to Oslo
B - Mumbai to Tehran
D - Cairo to Algiers

Daniel was in Oslo recently. He says that
Spoiler
Norway is west of Finland
. He then uses his 50:50.
[spoiler="50:50 results":]A and C are left.[/spoiler]Daniel then realizes, and says, that he blew this lifeline.
Spoiler
Answer: C (Lima to Rio de Janeiro)
I thought sure he had this when he mentioned that Norway was west of Finland.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$30,000: Hardcore foodies can likely tell the difference between an Island Creek, a Hama Hama and a European Flat, as they're all varieties of what?
A - mushroom
B - pheasant
C - foie gras
D - oyster

Spoiler
D
but he's not sure so he calles for his sister-in-law Gretchen as his +1. She doesn't know either, but she agrees with Daniel that it might be
Spoiler
D
Spoiler
A - 26%
B - 10%
C - 10%
D - 54%
Spoiler
D
his final answer.
Spoiler
I'm not a hardcore foodie and would have been torn between mushrooms and oysters. I'll ATA and go with their response.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100,000: According to the gospels of Mark and Luke, what crime had been committed by Barabbas, the prisoner the crowd spared over Jesus?
A - adultery
B - murder
C - arson
D - desertion

Spoiler
A and C
Spoiler
B and D
before making
Spoiler
D
his final answer.
Spoiler

This would have been a dream question for me. Barabbas was a Zealot (or at least he sympathized with them) and was arrested for murder. The two men crucified with Jesus are called "lestes", which most English translators render as "robbers" or "thieves", but may imply that they were rebels.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

emi

#11 Post by emi » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:29 am

Daniel Greco
Providence, RI

$500: Which of the following comes in varieties including inground, above ground and Olympic-sized?
A - caskets
B - couches
C - swimming pools
D - bidets
[Reveal] Spoiler:

$1000: Due to slumping sales during the Vietnam War, what toy got a "makeover" in 1969, being re-released with "life-like hair and [a] beard"?
A - GI Joe
B - Tickle Me Elmo
C - Gumby
D - American Girl doll
[Reveal] Spoiler:

I think my joke here fell a little flat in the room, but I hope no one actually thought I considered American Girl.

$2000: In a recent Gallup survey of honesty and ethics in various professons, which of these ranked just as low as telemarketers and car salesmen?
A - elementary school teachers
B - anesthesiologists
C - members of Congress
D - librarians
[Reveal] Spoiler:

$3000: According to the Washington Post, in 2015 the US had a record 4,144 what, breaking the previous record of 4,131 set back in 1873?
A - living Civil War veterans
B - breweries
C - telegraph operators
D - spittoon manufacturers

This is a subject close to his heart, as is a hobby of his.
[Reveal] Spoiler:

I was thinking breweries before the answers came up (although i wasn't sure). The numbers and the timing seemed right to me, and I've read a couple of books about the brewing industry.

commercial break

$5000: Mentioned in the Queen song "Bohemian Rhapsody," what stock character from Italian theater is usually portrayed as a conceited, boastful clown?
A - Capitano
B - Dottore
C - Arlecchino
D - Scaramouche

Daniel went to a piano bar the other night and requested this song.
[Reveal] Spoiler:

I regret not singing a little bit of "Bohemian Rhapsody". Then again, you're probably happy I didn't.

$7000: What low-cost gym attempts to quiet loud grunters with flashing blue lights and a piercing siren known as the "Lunk Alarm"?
A - Crunch
B - Gold's Gym
C - Planet Fitness
D - Equinox

[Reveal] Spoiler:

I was a member of this gym a few years ago (I currently go to another gym....well, I currently am a member of another gym...go...not so much)

$10,000: Since scientists recently concluded that we experience more jet lag when flying eastward, you'd expect to be extra sleepy after which of these flights?
A - Helsinki to Oslo
B - Mumbai to Tehran
D - Cairo to Algiers

Daniel was in Oslo recently. He says that . He then uses his 50:50.
[Reveal] Spoiler: "50:50 results":
Daniel then realizes, and says, that he blew this lifeline.
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Doh! They cut a lot of my answer here for the show. I eliminated B and D right away. Somehow, in my head, I was reading it as Oslo to Helsinki until after I used my 50-50. They cut right to the moment when I realized my mistake.

$20,000: What is the three-letter abbreviation for the degenerative brain disease found in many football players and boxers who've suffered repeated concussions?
A - AST
B - CTE
C - DNL
D - SCP

Daniel is a big sports fan.
[Reveal] Spoiler:

I've been following this story very closely for years and knew this in my sleep.

commercial break

$30,000: Hardcore foodies can likely tell the difference between an Island Creek, a Hama Hama and a European Flat, as they're all varieties of what?
A - mushroom
B - pheasant
C - foie gras
D - oyster

Daniel says it sounds like but he's not sure so he calles for his sister-in-law Gretchen as his +1. She doesn't know either, but she agrees with Daniel that it might be . Daniel then asks the audience.
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Daniel says that life is short and makes his final answer.
[Reveal] Spoiler:

They cut some of my answer here too when I eliminated Pheasant and Foie Gras as answers. I'd heard of Hama Hama and sorta maybe Island Creek oysters, but not European Flat, and I couldn't quite eliminate mushrooms. I was 70% sure upon reading, and maybe 80% sure after the audience. I wish I'd been braver here, but I almost walked with $20K, and I'm glad I didn't.

commercial break

MILLIONAIRE "QUESTION OF THE DAY": The namesake of a present-day city, what Canadian famously discovered gold in Alaska in 1880?
A - William Anchorage
B - Pierre Fairbanks
C - Joseph Juneau
D - Kenneth Kodiak
[Reveal] Spoiler:

$50,000: Who was the last Republican to be elected without the name Bush or Nixon appearing somewhere on the ticket?
A - Dwight Eisenhower
B - Calvin Coolidge
C - Herbert Hoover
D - Warren G. Harding

Daniel knows this one - he says .
[Reveal] Spoiler:

This was a dream $50K question for me. I knew the answer from the moment Chris said "last Republican."

$100,000: According to the gospels of Mark and Luke, what crime had been committed by Barabbas, the prisoner the crowd spared over Jesus?
A - adultery
B - murder
C - arson
D - desertion

Daniel says the Bible isn't his strong suit. He eliminates and goes back and forth between before making his final answer.
[Reveal] Spoiler:

This was a nightmare $100K question for me. I'm a very lapsed catholic, with very strong negative feelings about the church. In addition, I've never felt the bible to be a compelling source of religious inspiration for me. I much prefer Emerson, Thoreau, Hafiz, or Tich Nhat Hanh. They cut a bit of my answer here too, when I said I thought Barabas was a thief. I think it was a petty easy $100K question that landed right in my blind-spot. It's somewhat ironic that I went out on a question in the one subject I've spent most of my life trying to forget. The most annoying part is that all my religious friends and family are taking this as a sign from god that I need to come back into the fold (while also ribbing me that I missed such an easy question). I'm taking it as a sign that should Jeopardy! call (I'm currently in the pool), I should bone up on my bible a bit. Although I have some regret that I didn't go into the $100K question with a lifeline, I had a once in a lifetime experience, and $50K is pretty nice for 25 minutes work. I'll just have to make up the other $50K on Jeopardy!
Last edited by emi on Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghostjmf

#12 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:58 am

emi, you got what would have been a tough stack for me. Those of us who still do the after-the-fact play-along usually assume the lifelines we use will give us right answers, but I would have been thrown badly off-base by that 7K gym Q, where I was lucky I even recognized the names of the gyms.

It being followed by that 10K geography Q, which I misread/overinterpreted to mean "*farthest* eastward trip, would have essentially done me in. And maybe my +1 too, who knows.

Although I didn't write it up on my 1st go here, I couldn't eliminate the wrong choices on the 20K Q & though I've been following the issue would have gone w/ my gut & hoped.

I watch a lot of PBS (I don't have cable) food shows these days & knew I had heard of Island Creek oysters & maybe hama hama, but I don't eat oysters (they're not kosher!) & was flailing by then. Would have needlessly burned last lifeline. Even though I *do* eat my competing choice, mushrooms.

You earned your 50K the hard way. Please enjoy it in good health.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#13 Post by Estonut » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:16 am

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$30,000: Hardcore foodies can likely tell the difference between an Island Creek, a Hama Hama and a European Flat, as they're all varieties of what?
A - mushroom
B - pheasant
C - foie gras
D - oyster

Spoiler
D
Spoiler
D
Spoiler
A - 26%
B - 10%
C - 10%
D - 54%
Spoiler
D
his final answer.
Spoiler
I'm not a hardcore foodie and would have been torn between mushrooms and oysters. I'll ATA and go with their response.
I had narrowed it down to the same two. I am familiar with a dozen or two species of mushroom, but only a few species of oyster. Thus, I figured that 3 that I don't know are far more likely to be oysters.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#14 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:52 pm

A - Crunch
B - Gold's Gym
C - Planet Fitness
D - Equinox

Spoiler
Answer: C (Planet Fitness)
ATA
A - adultery
B - murder
C - arson
D - desertion

Spoiler
A and C
Spoiler
B and D
before making
Spoiler
D
his final answer.
Spoiler

My Sunday School teachers must have downplayed this -- they always said something like "the thief Barrabas." Oh well. Glad it wasn't one of the answers.

50/50 doesn't help me. Plus One.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller