Transcript 4/18/2008 - Patrick White

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 4/18/2008 - Patrick White

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:39 pm

Patrick White
High Point, NC
Software developer

Patrick has four children at home wanting to see Meredith freak him out and make him scream like a little girl. Meredith asks if he does scream like that. Patrick did, once. He was getting his shoes, reached inside and felt something furry. He thought it was a toy but it turned out to be a dead mouse. He's here to prove he's a man, not a mouse.

$100 - Tense or high-strung people are often said to be a "bundle of" what?

A - nerves
B - bones
C - veins
D - guests on "Maury"

$200 - To avoid breakage during shipping, manufacturers commonly stuff aspirin bottles with what?

A - sawdust
B - metal springs
C - salt
D - cotton balls

$300 - The rhinoceros iguana is named for the hornlike outgrowths that appear where on its body?

A - belly
B - nose
C - tail
D - feet

Patrick said it would be weird if they were on its feet.

$500 - In the 1970s, siblings Jermaine, Marlon, Tito, Jackie, and Michael recorded numerous hit songs under what name?

A - The Jackson 5
B - The Eisley Brothers
C - DeBarge
D - Sly & the Family Stone

$1K - In the military, which of these terms is slang for "kilometer"?

A - kat
B - knock
C - klick
D - kayo

Patrick was in the Army for a few years.

$2K - Which of the following is not an ingredient in Patriotic Twinkie Pie, a dish in Hostess' "The Twinkies Cookbook"?

A - strawberries
B - vanilla pudding
C - blueberries
D - chocolate pudding

Patrick says that patriotic would be red, white and blue.

$4K - Which of these sports is played with a net that is higher for men than it is for women?

A - tennis
B - lacrosse
C - volleyball
D - ice hockey

Patrick makes "C" his final answer without hesitation. After the answer is revealed Meredith says, "You almost screamed there." Patrick replies, "I'm screaming on the inside so loud."

$8K - The Equator Rafts company helps rafters and kayakers tackle the rapids of what world river?

A - Danube
B - Yangtze
C - Jordan
D - Nile

"Wow!" Patrick exclaims. He thinks the audience will know this so he wants to ask them.

ATA results:
A - 13%
B - 16%
C - 19%
D - 52%

Patrick goes with the audience's answer.

Commercial break

Patrick's wife Tonya is in the relationship seat. She thinks Patrick is doing a great job.

$16K - Stephen King's short story "The Body" was the basis for what popular '80s movie?

A - Stand By Me
B - River's Edge
C - Drugstore Cowboy
D - Heathers

"Stand By Me" popped into Patrick's head - he's never heard of the other ones. He isn't sure so he wants to call his frend J.J. J.J.'s connection is poor or he's a soft talker. Patrick reads the question and answers, then repeats "Stephen King's short story 'The Body'." J.J. says, "Oh, man," and eventually apologizes because he doesn't know the answer. Patrick opts to use his 50/50, leaving and B. "Morgan Freeman was in 'Stand By Me'." Patrick doesn't think "Stand By Me" sounds like a Stephen King title because he writes horror. He makes B his final answer and leaves with $1K. Meredith tells him that the movie with Morgan Freeman was "Lean on Me."

ANSWERS:
$100 - A (nerves)
$200 - D (cotton balls)
$300 - B (nose)
$500 - A (The Jackson 5)
$1K - C (klick)
$2K - D (chocolate pudding)
$4K - C (volleyball)
$8K - D (Nile)
$16K - A (Stand By Me)

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 4/18/2008 - Patrick White

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:37 am

$1K: Eek! I don't know this term. I'll have to PAF early.

$16K: No clue here. ATA.

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:38 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Patrick White
High Point, NC
Software developer

Patrick has four children at home wanting to see Meredith freak him out and make him scream like a little girl. Meredith asks if he does scream like that. Patrick did, once. He was getting his shoes, reached inside and felt something furry. He thought it was a toy but it turned out to be a dead mouse. He's here to prove he's a man, not a mouse.
Better a dead mouse than a live one, IMO.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4K - Which of these sports is played with a net that is higher for men than it is for women?

A - tennis
B - lacrosse
C - volleyball
D - ice hockey

Patrick makes "C" his final answer without hesitation. After the answer is revealed Meredith says, "You almost screamed there." Patrick replies, "I'm screaming on the inside so loud."
It's not tennis or ice hockey. I don't know enough about lacrosse, so let's try the 50/50 and hope that B and C aren't the remaining answers.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K - The Equator Rafts company helps rafters and kayakers tackle the rapids of what world river?

A - Danube
B - Yangtze
C - Jordan
D - Nile

"Wow!" Patrick exclaims. He thinks the audience will know this so he wants to ask them.

ATA results:
A - 13%
B - 16%
C - 19%
D - 52%

The Nile is the closest to the equator; otherwise the company name wouldn't make much sense.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K - Stephen King's short story "The Body" was the basis for what popular '80s movie?

A - Stand By Me
B - River's Edge
C - Drugstore Cowboy
D - Heathers

"Stand By Me" popped into Patrick's head - he's never heard of the other ones. He isn't sure so he wants to call his frend J.J. J.J.'s connection is poor or he's a soft talker. Patrick reads the question and answers, then repeats "Stephen King's short story 'The Body'." J.J. says, "Oh, man," and eventually apologizes because he doesn't know the answer. Patrick opts to use his 50/50, leaving and B. "Morgan Freeman was in 'Stand By Me'." Patrick doesn't think "Stand By Me" sounds like a Stephen King title because he writes horror. He makes B his final answer and leaves with $1K. Meredith tells him that the movie with Morgan Freeman was "Lean on Me."
Patrick was doing well; unfortunately his PAF didn't come through for him. I haven't read the story or seen the movie but from what I know of the latter it doesn't sound like King's work. But I remembered this being mentioned when the movie came out.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

tanstaafl2

#4 Post by tanstaafl2 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:30 am

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Patrick White
High Point, NC
Software developer

Better a dead mouse than a live one, IMO.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4K - Which of these sports is played with a net that is higher for men than it is for women?

A - tennis
B - lacrosse
C - volleyball
D - ice hockey

It's not tennis or ice hockey. I don't know enough about lacrosse, so let's try the 50/50 and hope that B and C aren't the remaining answers.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K - The Equator Rafts company helps rafters and kayakers tackle the rapids of what world river?

A - Danube
B - Yangtze
C - Jordan
D - Nile

ATA results:
A - 13%
B - 16%
C - 19%
D - 52%

The Nile is the closest to the equator; otherwise the company name wouldn't make much sense.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K - Stephen King's short story "The Body" was the basis for what popular '80s movie?

A - Stand By Me
B - River's Edge
C - Drugstore Cowboy
D - Heathers

Patrick was doing well; unfortunately his PAF didn't come through for him. I haven't read the story or seen the movie but from what I know of the latter it doesn't sound like King's work. But I remembered this being mentioned when the movie came out.
Really managed to talk himself out of the right answer on that one!

Given that the source (depending on what one regards as the source) of the Nile stradles the equator and none of the others come close it would seem the obvious answer. But not only did the cast member not know but neither did nearly half the audience. That tricky geography strikes again...
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#5 Post by ulysses5019 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:37 am

That tricky geography strikes again...
I agree that Americans are generally lacking when it comes to geography. When I play live trivia and the meister says that the bonus question will be the "dreaded geography", invariably, a collective groan arises from the players.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

tanstaafl2

#6 Post by tanstaafl2 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:33 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
That tricky geography strikes again...
I agree that Americans are generally lacking when it comes to geography. When I play live trivia and the meister says that the bonus question will be the "dreaded geography", invariably, a collective groan arises from the players.
Yes, I have the same experience. And I think it is great! I certainly don't know every geography question but I sure feel like I have an edge when it is the subject.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh