Transcript 4/18/2008 - Erin Grimm

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 4/18/2008 - Erin Grimm

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:41 pm

Erin Grimm
Island Lake, IL

With no preliminary chitchat, Erin goes right into the stack.

$100 - Which of these retailers generally divides its merchandise into Drama, Comedy and Horror sections?

A - Starbucks
B - Blockbuster
C - Home Depot
D - Bed, Bath & Brokeback Mountain

$200 - Which of these cartoon characters is often depicted flying through the air wearing a red cape?

A - Porky Pig
B - Yogi Bear
C - Mighty Mouse
D - Droopy Dog

$300 - Something that deteriorates is often said to have "gone to" what?

A - pinch
B - seed
C - grain
D - morsel

"Seed is the only one that makes sense," Erin says.

$500 - Since the early 1900s, what sporting goods have been made with imitation defects called "Dimples" as they woudl travel farther?

A - baseballs
B - soccer balls
C - tennis balls
D - golf balls

$1K - What is the title of the 1963 Martha & the Vandellas hit that includes the lyric, "Sinking me deeper in love with you"?

A - Hurricane
B - Earthquake
C - Quicksand
D - Blizzard

Erin doesn't know the song but she does know that quicksand sinks so she'll go with the obvious answer.

Commercial break

Erin is a student. She breezed through the first five questions. Meredith says that people come into the Hot Seat with some unusual talents. She mentions several of them then says she understands that Erin can make the sound of a dolphin. Meredith asks to hear it, so Erin does it. Meredith says she doesn't know why someone would learn that. Then she asks if "Flipper" is ready to play.

$2K - What New York City borough lends its name to a famous cocktail made with vermouth, whiskey and a dash of bitters?

A - Manhattan
B - Brooklyn
C - Queens
D - Bronx

Erin doesn't like them - she thinks they're gross, but she knows the answer.

$4K - In a popular ad campaign, Mentos candy is referred to as what?

A - the Cleanmaker
B - the Mintmaker
C - the Kissmaker
D - the Freshmaker

Erin says these commercials stick in her head.

$8K - AAA recommends that you check the tires on your car about how often?

A - once every three months
B - once a month
C - once every six months
D - once a year

Meredith asks if Erin has a car. She does. It's not very nice, it's a 1993 Saturn "regular" because she doesn't know what model it has. Meredith asks if she checks the tires. She doesn't. Erin wants to ask the audience.

ATA results:
A - 29%
B - 55%
C - 11%
D - 5%

Erin was thinking "once a month" and decides to trust the audience's answer. Meredith says that Erin needs to check her tires because she's way behind.

$16K - What U.S. state capital is located on the Delmarva Peninsula?

A - Dover
B - Trenton
C - Richmond
D - Raleigh

Erin wants to call Ian, one of her good friends, a boy friend (NOTE: unclear as to whether , a genius. Erin reads the question, then repeats the answers. Ian is going to guess Raleigh. "North Carolina?" Erin asks. "Yes, but I'm only about 40% sure." She hates to do it but she asks for the 50/50, leaving A and D. Erin says the name makes it feel as if it's Delaware, so she might go with Dover. "Let's just do it," she says, and makes it her final answer. Meredith says that Ian may be smart, but Erin is smarter.

Commercial break

Erin just wanted to get the $16K. Meredith says that she got it and can try for much more.

$25K - In the classic movie "Some Like It Hot", Marilyn Monroe's character has what fanciful stage name?

A - Cherry Pye
B - Lemon Dropp
C - Sugar Kane
D - Lillie Blossom

Erin does know the movie but she doesn't want to risk a wrong answer. $16K is enough money for her. The right answer isn't the one that Erin would have chosen.

THE HORN!!!!!

ANSWERS:
$100 - B (Blockbuster)
$200 - C (Mighty Mouse)
$300 - B (seed)
$500 - D (golf balls)
$1K - C (Quicksand)
$2K - A (Manhattan)
$4K - D (the Freshmaker)
$8K - B (once a month)
$16K - A (Dover)
$25K - C (Sugar Kane)

MarleysGh0st

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:42 pm

Another show ending without a carry-over means there's another chance Monday might be sunflower's episode.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#3 Post by kayrharris » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:40 pm

I'll be the first know,probably. I think 15Qaway said there is a guest host starting tomorrow so I'm not so sure we'll be seeing her on this week or not.

Of course, I could be wrong about that.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:49 pm

kayrharris wrote: Of course, I could be wrong about that.
Hey, that's nitrah's line! :lol:

Should we take guesses about the identity of the mystery host? How many other celebrities from the Today Show are there?

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#5 Post by silvercamaro » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:59 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Should we take guesses about the identity of the mystery host? How many other celebrities from the Today Show are there?
My guess is Kathy Lee Gifford, in which case I am tuned to anything else, as is the case with the last hour of the Today Show.

gsabc

#6 Post by gsabc » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:08 pm

$4K - In a popular ad campaign, Mentos candy is referred to as what?

A - the Cleanmaker
B - the Mintmaker
C - the Kissmaker
D - the Freshmaker

Maybe popular, but not with me. I must not watch those shows. ATA.

A - Dover
B - Trenton
C - Richmond
D - Raleigh

Okay, how much would I have panicked here without puzzling it out? Never heard of the peninsula, but Delmarva must come from Delaware, Maryland and Virginia. That takes out Raleigh and Trenton. I could be wrong, but I don't think Richmond is on any sort of peninsula.

In reality, I probably would have used my Googling PAF on this and spelled out Delmarva for them. Google brings up the Wikipedia article with a map showing Dover.

No problems with the others, so likely looking at $50K with 50/50 and STQ.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

takinover

#7 Post by takinover » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:38 pm

gsabc wrote: $16K - What U.S. state capital is located on the Delmarva Peninsula?

A - Dover
B - Trenton
C - Richmond
D - Raleigh

Okay, how much would I have panicked here without puzzling it out? Never heard of the peninsula, but Delmarva must come from Delaware, Maryland and Virginia.
I picked up on the Del but not on the Mar or Va so I would have gotten the correct answer while not completely seeing the whole picture.

I would have ATA the AAA question and I would PAF the $25K.

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 4/18/2008 - Erin Grimm

#8 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:42 am

Nihil obstat®

I don't know how I knew the $25K question (I had never seen that movie), but I got that immediately.

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:42 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Erin Grimm
Island Lake, IL

With no preliminary chitchat, Erin goes right into the stack.
I like a no-nonsense contestant.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K - AAA recommends that you check the tires on your car about how often?

B - once a month
D - once a year

Meredith asks if Erin has a car. She does. It's not very nice, it's a 1993 Saturn "regular" because she doesn't know what model it has. Meredith asks if she checks the tires. She doesn't. Erin wants to ask the audience.

ATA results:
A - 29%
B - 55%
C - 11%
D - 5%

Erin was thinking "once a month" and decides to trust the audience's answer. Meredith says that Erin needs to check her tires because she's way behind.
I presume that the recommendation is to check for tread wear and proper inflation.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K - What U.S. state capital is located on the Delmarva Peninsula?

A - Dover
B - Trenton
C - Richmond
D - Raleigh

Erin wants to call Ian, one of her good friends, a boy friend (NOTE: unclear as to whether , a genius. Erin reads the question, then repeats the answers. Ian is going to guess Raleigh. "North Carolina?" Erin asks. "Yes, but I'm only about 40% sure." She hates to do it but she asks for the 50/50, leaving A and D. Erin says the name makes it feel as if it's Delaware, so she might go with Dover. "Let's just do it," she says, and makes it her final answer. Meredith says that Ian may be smart, but Erin is smarter.
Listening to Erin describe Ian as a "boy friend" I couldn't tell whether she was speaking about a male friend or someone with whom she was in a relationship. In any event her description of him as a "genius" seems a bit dubious. Good for her for going with her instinct.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K - In the classic movie "Some Like It Hot", Marilyn Monroe's character has what fanciful stage name?

A - Cherry Pye
B - Lemon Dropp
C - Sugar Kane
D - Lillie Blossom

Erin does know the movie but she doesn't want to risk a wrong answer. $16K is enough money for her. The right answer isn't the one that Erin would have chosen.
I would have been torn between B and C, so time to pull out the 50/50 and hope those aren't the remaining two.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

tanstaafl2

#10 Post by tanstaafl2 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:38 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Erin Grimm
Island Lake, IL

$8K - AAA recommends that you check the tires on your car about how often?

B - once a month
D - once a year

ATA results:
A - 29%
B - 55%
C - 11%
D - 5%

A - Dover
B - Trenton
C - Richmond
D - Raleigh

Commercial break

Erin just wanted to get the $16K. Meredith says that she got it and can try for much more.

$25K - In the classic movie "Some Like It Hot", Marilyn Monroe's character has what fanciful stage name?

A - Cherry Pye
B - Lemon Dropp
C - Sugar Kane
D - Lillie Blossom

A rather testy WGAS 8K question followed by a gimmie at 16K except that it is that nasty old geography that most people seem to know nothing about. At least the 25K, while tough, was a reasonable trivia Q unlike the Duel worthy 8K Q.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh