Just saw Wicked

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Ritterskoop

Just saw Wicked

#1 Post by Ritterskoop » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:35 pm

Awesome.

I teared up twice at the end, though the first time is so strongly still with me, I can't remember what the second moment was! Since it's me, the first moment has to do with an animal.

Not much to say out in the open, as it's one of those shows that can be easily spoiled.

I am eager to investigate original cast albums, as I've been listening to Chenoweth and Menzel doing "Defying Gravity," and now I'd like to hear them do more. It would also be fun to see/hear Rue McClanahan's turn as Morrible.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#2 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:21 pm

Rue McClanahan isn't Morrible on the Cast Album. Madame Morrible is played by an actress named Carole Shelley.

We saw Wicked recently in LA and Morrible was played by Joanne Worley. I think that Shelley did a much better job.

gotribego26

Re: Just saw Wicked

#3 Post by gotribego26 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:26 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:Awesome.

I teared up twice at the end, though the first time is so strongly still with me, I can't remember what the second moment was! Since it's me, the first moment has to do with an animal.

Not much to say out in the open, as it's one of those shows that can be easily spoiled.

I am eager to investigate original cast albums, as I've been listening to Chenoweth and Menzel doing "Defying Gravity," and now I'd like to hear them do more. It would also be fun to see/hear Rue McClanahan's turn as Morrible.

The tribelets have not forgiven me for failing to get them tickets for this - of course it is all my fault. I suspect it will return to the Queen City again.

lilyvonschtupp26

#4 Post by lilyvonschtupp26 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:39 pm

I was fortunate to see Ana Gasteyer as Elphaba. She was incredible and I enjoyed her immensely. Wasn't the staging wonderful?
It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many lives as we wish. -S.I. Hayakawa

TheCalvinator24

#5 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:48 pm

lilyvonschtupp26 wrote:I was fortunate to see Ana Gasteyer as Elphaba. She was incredible and I enjoyed her immensely. Wasn't the staging wonderful?
Ana Gasteyer played Elphaba?
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

Ritterskoop

#6 Post by Ritterskoop » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:01 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:Rue McClanahan isn't Morrible on the Cast Album. Madame Morrible is played by an actress named Carole Shelley.

We saw Wicked recently in LA and Morrible was played by Joanne Worley. I think that Shelley did a much better job.
My bad - I didn't mean to imply McClanahan is on the cast album, only that she had done a stint. She mentioned it last year at her book-signing, that she enjoyed it. I don't know if she was any good at it!
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Appa23

#7 Post by Appa23 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:19 pm

My wife and I will be seeing Wicked next year, when it comes to Omaha for a month. (We are not-so-sure about Avenue Q.)

We thought about seeing Rent when it comes for a limited engagement in a few weeks, but the timing does not work with other previous commitments.

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:22 pm

Appa23 wrote:

My wife and I will be seeing Wicked next year, when it comes to Omaha for a month. (We are not-so-sure about Avenue Q.)

We thought about seeing Rent when it comes for a limited engagement in a few weeks, but the timing does not work with other previous commitments.
I very much doubt you'd like Avenue Q.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

tanstaafl2

#9 Post by tanstaafl2 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:17 am

I saw Wicked last year as part of a season ticket package (In the spring of the 2006-2007 season) for touring Broadway shows I have. It was very entertaining although I don't recall any names "of note" in the company.

Surprisingly to me it is coming back this fall as part of the season package again for 2008-2009). Seems a little soon to have it back as part of the season package to me. I recognize it is a show with a big name that will likely sell well but usually when a show returns so soon after having been a part of the package it is offered as an additional "optional" show. I know these shows are expensive so perhaps they wanted to assure they have a good turnout by forcing season ticket holders to buy it again but it was a little disappointing.

Are there not enough decent touring shows that they couldn't avoid a repeat so soon?

Indeed this season seems a bit weak overall considering that Wicked is the big draw and it is a repeat. Shows this season in addition to Wicked are Ain't Misbehavin (with Ruben Studdard, says alot about his career after Idol...), A Chorus Line (an oldy but a "goody" that I don't mind so much seeing again), Happy Days, the Musical (yes, that Happy Days. But not well received on the Great White Way apparently), Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (from the childrens story by Ian Fleming of all people and which opened on Broadway to at best mixed reviews), and finally Jersey Boys (The Four Seasons story that has received much better reviews).

At best kind of a mixed season to me. This season did wrap up with a good run of shows to include The Drowsy Chaperone, the very entertaining Avenue Q, a decent production of The Lion King and next month closes with the a production of Sweeney Todd.

Maybe next season will be better than it appears at first glance.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

Appa23

#10 Post by Appa23 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:41 am

We had planned on getting season tickets for the "Broadway Across America" series in Omaha, just to make sure that we would have tickets for "Wicked".

However, we now are not sure that it is a good idea.

"The Rat Pack"

"Grease"

"Avenue Q"

"Wicked".

This seems like the worst series of shows over the past several years. This year was when we should have gotten season tickets. :oops:

moonie

#11 Post by moonie » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:46 pm

I was fortunate to see this on Broadway last summer. What a great show! I did read the book prior to seeing it, and Im glad they made it more 'family-friendly'.

(The book had graphic sexual references and such... I was going to let my 12 yr old daughter read it, thank goodness I started it first. The first 3 pages told me enough was enough!)
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to Lurk i go!

lilyvonschtupp26

wicked - for Cal

#12 Post by lilyvonschtupp26 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:11 pm

Yeah, Ana Gasteyer! She has incredible pipes. She just blew us away. Plus she was great opposite Carol Kane as Madame Morrible.

I'm taking my daughter for the backstage tour for her b'day. Since she's into costuming, it'll be a treat.
It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many lives as we wish. -S.I. Hayakawa

gsabc

#13 Post by gsabc » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:25 pm

moonie wrote:I was fortunate to see this on Broadway last summer. What a great show! I did read the book prior to seeing it, and Im glad they made it more 'family-friendly'.

(The book had graphic sexual references and such... I was going to let my 12 yr old daughter read it, thank goodness I started it first. The first 3 pages told me enough was enough!)
The book is very different, and would have been difficult to translate directly into a play or musical. BD likes both versions. The author's children are alumni of the school where she works. Some of the other teachers know him, and said they could get her copy of Wicked autographed. Have to check to see if that's happened yet.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

tanstaafl2

#14 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:30 pm

gsabc wrote:
moonie wrote:I was fortunate to see this on Broadway last summer. What a great show! I did read the book prior to seeing it, and Im glad they made it more 'family-friendly'.

The book is very different, and would have been difficult to translate directly into a play or musical. BD likes both versions. The author's children are alumni of the school where she works. Some of the other teachers know him, and said they could get her copy of Wicked autographed. Have to check to see if that's happened yet.
I agree. To me the musical was as much closer to a rethinking of the movie using the same approach as the book, looking at their lives before those events in the movie took place. But it was really not very close in spirit to the book, which was considerably darker in nature, as best I can remember.

Probably made it more successful as a Broadway musical to go that route but mostly just borrowed the name and the concept from the book. Since it looks like I will be seeing it again soon anyway I will see if I am "disremembering"...
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

Jeemie

#15 Post by Jeemie » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:11 pm

Am I the only one who disliked Wicked intensely?

I mean, the performances were good, and the jokes were funny, but I'm sorry, the plot was quite lame.

IMNSHO
1979 City of Champions 2009

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#16 Post by silvercamaro » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:15 pm

Jeemie wrote:Am I the only one who disliked Wicked intensely?

I mean, the performances were good, and the jokes were funny, but I'm sorry, the plot was quite lame.

IMNSHO
I didn't realize anybody went to a musical primarily for the plot.

Jeemie

#17 Post by Jeemie » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:06 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
Jeemie wrote:Am I the only one who disliked Wicked intensely?

IMNSHO
I didn't realize anybody went to a musical primarily for the plot.
I usually don't.

But the utter lameness of the plot spoiled the rest of it for me.

it was that lame...again, IMNSHO.
1979 City of Champions 2009