If "Deal or No Deal" hadn't jumped the shark yet..

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
NellyLunatic1980

If "Deal or No Deal" hadn't jumped the shark yet..

#1 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:25 am

... it will tonight.

George W. Bush will be the special guest supporter.

gsabc

Re: If "Deal or No Deal" hadn't jumped the shark y

#2 Post by gsabc » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:09 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:... it will tonight.

Funny, if he supported a game show, I would have thought it would be "Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader?"
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

NellyLunatic1980

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:10 am

gsabc wrote:

Funny, if he supported a game show, I would have thought it would be "Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader?"
REC!

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:34 am

I don't suppose he will finally mention the phrase "expected value" on the show? :roll:

Really, I'd love to hear a detailed report on his appearance. Pick a random case. Take an offer or walk away. What advice can any celebrity guest supporter offer?

Edited to correct the tense for something that hasn't happened yet.
Last edited by MarleysGh0st on Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:41 am

gsabc wrote:

Why would he, when he isn't? :lol:
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#6 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:27 am

I don't think that he is actually playing the game. I think he is there supporting a contestant who is in the military.

thguy65

#7 Post by thguy65 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:46 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:

Really, I'd love to hear a detailed report on his appearance. Pick a random case. Take an offer or walk away. What advice can any celebrity guest supporter offer?
After the first case is opened, say "Mission Accomplished"
Don't cut and run.
Nothing short of complete victory, otherwise the Banker will follow you home.
Tim H.

- My other computer is Image

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:51 am

thguy65 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:

Don't cut and run.
Sounds like it's "No Deal," then! :lol:

And if the contestant is in the military, it's going to be mighty awkward ignoring his Commander-in-Chief's "advice". :wink:

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#9 Post by Rexer25 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:54 am

thguy65 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:

Don't cut and run.
Rec
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

silverscreenselect

#10 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:00 am

Special quote from tonight's show:

He may be the Banker but I am the Decider.

gsabc

#11 Post by gsabc » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:00 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:

I don't suppose he will finally mention the phrase "expected value" on the show? :roll:

Ignore evidence to the contrary that you don't have the $1MM case and go for that goal alone.
Change your reasoning, once the contrary evidence is made apparent even to you, and say you were aiming for the $100 case and the $1MM case wasn't your original goal.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

#12 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:12 pm

So, did anybody watch the celebrity appearance, Monday night?

At least the New York Times did.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/22/arts/ ... 2watc.html
“I’m thrilled to be on ‘Deal or No Deal’ with you tonight,” Mr. Bush said from a giant screen in a cameo taped for the Monday episode of one of NBC’s most popular prime-time shows. The president paused a beat. “Come to think of it, I’m thrilled to be anywhere with high ratings these days.”
But that's all they say about the DoND appearance; the rest of the article is about politicians appearing on non-news TV shows in general.

But we really need to know more to evaluate President Bush's role as a an advisor to the contestant. If he wasn't in the studio and made a remote appearance, did he even know what was going on in the game? Or was his appearance taped before the game play even began?

:roll:

thguy65

#13 Post by thguy65 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:16 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
But that's all they say about the DoND appearance; the rest of the article is about politicians appearing on non-news TV shows in general.

But we really need to know more to evaluate President Bush's role as a an advisor to the contestant. If he wasn't in the studio and made a remote appearance, did he even know what was going on in the game? Or was his appearance taped before the game play even began?

:roll:
It was completely pre-taped. He just wished the contestant well on his endeavor.

If GWB really wanted to help out, he would have gotten warrantless searches of the briefcases ahead of time
Tim H.

TheConfessor

#14 Post by TheConfessor » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:53 pm

I didn't watch, but according to reports, the contestant got bad advice, had no clear objective or exit strategy, stayed too long, and it cost him dearly. But that's just the spin coming from the liberal media.
http://www.reuters.com/article/entertai ... 7020080423

MarleysGh0st

#15 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:00 pm

TheConfessor wrote:I didn't watch, but according to reports, the contestant got bad advice, had no clear objective or exit strategy, stayed too long, and it cost him dearly. But that's just the spin coming from the liberal media.
http://www.reuters.com/article/entertai ... 7020080423
Spoiler
But during his game, Kobes said "no deal" one too many times, going from a $144,000 offer to accepting $26,000. At the end of the episode, however, Kobes ended up tripling his take-home total to a respectable $78,000 during a spin of the "deal wheel."
So is there any risk to that new "deal wheel" gimmick? Or is it just a question of how much the contestant randomly multiplies his winnings?

Sounds like they're trying to close the barn door after the shark's already been jumped. :P

MarleysGh0st

#16 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:03 pm

Oooh, the related article from Reuters is interesting!

http://www.reuters.com/article/entertai ... 7520080422
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - President George W. Bush, making a highly unusual appearance on U.S. television game show "Deal or No Deal," sought show host Howie Mandel's help to deal with the federal budget in upcoming talks with Congress.

"Howie, I don't know if you're free to come to Washington anytime soon but I have to reach an agreement with Congress on the federal budget. How'd you like to host a $3 trillion dollar 'Deal or No Deal,'" Bush joked.
Why'd he bother asking Howie? It's the Banker he needs for some tough budget negotiations! :lol:

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#17 Post by silvercamaro » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:05 pm

I've stopped watching Deal or No Deal entirely. For me, seeing the contestants pick briefcase numbers has all of the excitement of watching senior citizens play bingo.

VAdame

#18 Post by VAdame » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:09 pm

I've never watched it (well, I was once in the same room where it was on for a few minutes, back when it first came on the air.) It's like watching people flip a coin with their friends and families shouting at them to pick heads or tails.

*Yawn*

thguy65

#19 Post by thguy65 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:05 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote: So is there any risk to that new "deal wheel" gimmick? Or is it just a question of how much the contestant randomly multiplies his winnings?
Some of the wheel results will halve the winnings, but the majority of them will increase it (double or triple). IIRC, there is no "choice" about taking a spin or not. If you're on one of these episodes, everybody spins the wheel at the end.
Tim H.

earendel

#20 Post by earendel » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:43 am

thguy65 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote: So is there any risk to that new "deal wheel" gimmick? Or is it just a question of how much the contestant randomly multiplies his winnings?
Some of the wheel results will halve the winnings, but the majority of them will increase it (double or triple). IIRC, there is no "choice" about taking a spin or not. If you're on one of these episodes, everybody spins the wheel at the end.
Which is what I hate about the "deal wheel" concept. On last night's show both of the contestants ended up with only half of what they won.

And on a related note, elwing was very upset with one of the Banker's little tricks. The second contestant, a young woman, spoke about being allergic to "everything", including dogs, cats, trees and grass. So at one point during the episode the Banker put dogs all through the audience. elwing thought it wasn't funny - it was potentially life-threatening. She even went to the DoND site and looked for a place to write to the show and express her outrage.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#21 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:03 am

earendel wrote:And on a related note, elwing was very upset with one of the Banker's little tricks. The second contestant, a young woman, spoke about being allergic to "everything", including dogs, cats, trees and grass. So at one point during the episode the Banker put dogs all through the audience. elwing thought it wasn't funny - it was potentially life-threatening. She even went to the DoND site and looked for a place to write to the show and express her outrage.
Gah! How stupid can they get?

But we all know "The Banker" is just an actor, so our ire should be vented on TPTB. :evil:

_TPTB_
Merry Man

#22 Post by _TPTB_ » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:08 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote:And on a related note, elwing was very upset with one of the Banker's little tricks. The second contestant, a young woman, spoke about being allergic to "everything", including dogs, cats, trees and grass. So at one point during the episode the Banker put dogs all through the audience. elwing thought it wasn't funny - it was potentially life-threatening. She even went to the DoND site and looked for a place to write to the show and express her outrage.
Gah! How stupid can they get?

But we all know "The Banker" is just an actor, so our ire should be vented on TPTB. :evil:

Oh, please! You never seem to have any sympathy for my deathly allergy I have to MAWGs....