Transcript 11/30/16 Ben Flajnik

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 11/30/16 Ben Flajnik

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:16 pm

Ben Flajnik
Winemaker
San Francisco, Cal.

Ben was on Season 16 of “The Bachelor.” He’s playing for the San Francisco Child Abuse Prevention Center. Ben’s +1 is his girlfriend Stephanie (not from “The Bachelor”).

$500
Which of these was NOT included in U.S. News & World Report’s 2016 list of America’s best national universities?
A: Princeton University B: Harvard University
C: Yale University D: Trump University
Answer
D: Trump University
$1,000
According to legend, every morning notorious 18th-century ladies’ man Giacomo Casanova ate 50 of what food widely believed to be an aphrodisiac?
A: Honey Nut Cheerios B: Breakfast burritos
C: Oysters D: Krispy Kreme doughnuts
Answer
C: Oysters
$2,000
The liquor store crashed into by Halle Berry and a now-closed El Pollo Loco where Brad Pitt worked are among the highlights of whose sight-seeing tour?
A: The DMV B: TMZ
C: PBS D: The FDA
Answer
B: TMZ
$3,000
Which of these is a brand of sneakers designed by Kanye West, and NOT part of a NASA space shuttle?
A: Vertical Stabilizer B: Yeezy Boost
C: Speed Brake D: Docking Port
Answer
B: Yeezy Boost
$5,000
The founder of what Tennessee liquor brand once described its distinctive shape as “a square bottle for a square shooter like me”?
A: Bacardi B: Ketel One
C: Absolut D: Jack Daniel’s
Answer
D: Jack Daniel’s
Commercial break

$7,000
Famous for its lightning, what city’s name is believed to come from a Native American phrase meaning “Sticks of Fire”?
A: Tampa, FL B: Worcester, MA
C: Peoria, IL D: Tillamook, OR
Answer
A: Tampa, FL
$10,000
Born less than three years apart, which pair of Hollywood siblings are closest in age, AND have the greatest combined age?
A: Jake & Maggie Gyllenhaal B: James & Dave Franco
C: Luke & Owen Wilson D: Zooey & Emily Deschanel
ATA
A: 19% B: 21% C: 56% D: 4%
That’s what Ben was thinking.
Answer
C: Luke & Owen Wilson
Commercial break

$20,000
Good news for most Tauruses and some Geminis: a Columbia University study from 2015 shows that people born in what month have the lowest risk of disease?
A: February B: May
C: August D: November
50/50
50/50 leaves February and May.
Answer
B: May
$30,000
Researchers in the field of philematology have estimated that up to 1 billion bacteria can be exchanged by doing which of these things that they specifically study?
A: Blowing your nose B: Shaking hands
C: Kissing D: Eating spoiled food
+1
Stephanie thinks it’s kissing, but Ben is leaning towards shaking hands.
Answer
C: Kissing
Ben’s charity gets $10,000.
Commercial break

QotD
Dedicated to his estranged wife, what 2014 album released by a lovelorn Robin Thicke includes the single “Get Her Back”?
A: Paula B: Sarah
C: Amanda D: Samantha
Answer
A: Paula

ghostjmf

Re: Transcript 11/30/16 Ben Flajnik

#2 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:28 pm

7K: Florida holds lightning records

10K: 50/50; My guess is Francos or Deschanels; I prolly go home here
Last edited by ghostjmf on Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:21 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Ben Flajnik
Winemaker
San Francisco, Cal.

Ben was on Season 16 of “The Bachelor.” He’s playing for the San Francisco Child Abuse Prevention Center. Ben’s +1 is his girlfriend Stephanie (not from “The Bachelor”).
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$7,000
Famous for its lightning, what city’s name is believed to come from a Native American phrase meaning “Sticks of Fire”?
Answer
I'd have used the 50:50 here and hope that A and D weren't the ones remaining. Good for Ben on seeing the connection between the hockey team and the question.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$10,000
Born less than three years apart, which pair of Hollywood siblings are closest in age, AND have the greatest combined age?
A: Jake & Maggie Gyllenhaal B: James & Dave Franco
C: Luke & Owen Wilson D: Zooey & Emily Deschanel
ATA
A: 19% B: 21% C: 56% D: 4%
That’s what Ben was thinking.
Answer
C: Luke & Owen Wilson
ATA for me also.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$30,000
Researchers in the field of philematology have estimated that up to 1 billion bacteria can be exchanged by doing which of these things that they specifically study?
A: Blowing your nose B: Shaking hands
C: Kissing D: Eating spoiled food
+1
Stephanie thinks it’s kissing, but Ben is leaning towards shaking hands.
Answer
C: Kissing
Ben’s charity gets $10,000.
I'd have thought kissing would have "oscul-" in it somewhere. But maybe coming it at it from "phile", meaning "lover" is the right way to approach it.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

K.P.

#4 Post by K.P. » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:42 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $7,000
Out with all my lifelines on the table. For $7,000, I took this as a straight language-recognition question and figured Tillamook was the only Native American word up there. Shame on me for not thinking about the Tampa Bay Lightning. Guess I need to watch more hockey.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#5 Post by Estonut » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:16 am

K.P. wrote:
Out with all my lifelines on the table. For $7,000, I took this as a straight language-recognition question and figured Tillamook was the only Native American word up there. Shame on me for not thinking about the Tampa Bay Lightning. Guess I need to watch more hockey.
You don't have to watch hockey to know there's a team named the Tampa Bay Lightning. Just as you don't have to watch a movie or read a piece of literature to know who the characters are, who acted the parts (in a movie) and what the story is about.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

jarnon

#6 Post by jarnon » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:39 am

Estonut wrote:
K.P. wrote:
You don't have to watch hockey to know there's a team named the Tampa Bay Lightning. Just as you don't have to watch a movie or read a piece of literature to know who the characters are, who acted the parts (in a movie) and what the story is about.
I would have gone down in flames too, not thinking of the Lightning. But I know enough about hockey to easily answer "What's the name of the Tampa hockey team?"
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:34 am

Estonut wrote:
K.P. wrote:
True, but just knowing that there's a team called the Lightning doesn't necessarily mean that the name is due to lightning frequency. It could be a reference to the speed of the game. After all, there is no connection between penguins and Pittsburgh even though the hockey team is named the Penguins.

K.P.

#8 Post by K.P. » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:52 am

jarnon wrote:
Estonut wrote:
K.P. wrote:Out with all my lifelines on the table. For $7,000, I took this as a straight language-recognition question and figured Tillamook was the only Native American word up there. Shame on me for not thinking about the Tampa Bay Lightning. Guess I need to watch more hockey.
I would have gone down in flames too, not thinking of the Lightning. But I know enough about hockey to easily answer "What's the name of the Tampa hockey team?"
And when I say I need to watch more hockey, I mean I watch zero hockey. I could maybe name five teams. It's definitely a gap for me.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#9 Post by Estonut » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:25 pm

earendel wrote:
Estonut wrote:
K.P. wrote:Out with all my lifelines on the table. For $7,000, I took this as a straight language-recognition question and figured Tillamook was the only Native American word up there. Shame on me for not thinking about the Tampa Bay Lightning. Guess I need to watch more hockey.
True, but just knowing that there's a team called the Lightning doesn't necessarily mean that the name is due to lightning frequency. It could be a reference to the speed of the game. After all, there is no connection between penguins and Pittsburgh even though the hockey team is named the Penguins.
If a team name is not alliterative, it probably has some local meaning.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

earendel

#10 Post by earendel » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:02 am

Estonut wrote:
earendel wrote:
Estonut wrote:You don't have to watch hockey to know there's a team named the Tampa Bay Lightning. Just as you don't have to watch a movie or read a piece of literature to know who the characters are, who acted the parts (in a movie) and what the story is about.
If a team name is not alliterative, it probably has some local meaning.
Even if it is alliterative - take the LA Lakers, for instance.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#11 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:35 pm

$7,000
Answer
Ugh, Worcester is the only one I can eliminate. I don't know which is famous for its lightning. Try ATA.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller