Transcript 12/14/16 Ben Brewer (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 12/14/16 Ben Brewer (carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:10 pm

Ben Brewer
Lancaster, Pa.

Ben wants to move back to Texas.

$20,000
A pianist inducted into the Louisiana Music Hall of Fame, which Marsalis family member is the father of the others?
A: Ellis B: Wynton
C: Jason D: Branford
+1
Ben’s +1 is his wife Kristen. Kristen thinks Ellis sounds like a jazz musician’s name.
Answer
A: Ellis
$30,000
According to a recent tally by British theater group Spymonkey, which of these causes of death occurs most frequently, by far, in the works of Shakespeare?
A: Poisoning B: Stabbing
C: Beheading D: Grief
50/50
50/50 leaves poisoning and stabbing.
Answer
B: Stabbing
Commercial break

$50,000
Though years ago it was translated into English as “Jesus,” the Biblical figure’s given name was a Hebrew version of what?
A: Joshua B: James
C: Josiah D: John
Answer
Ben answers C: Josiah.
The correct answer is A: Joshua.
Ben wins $5,000.
Commercial break

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

Re: Transcript 12/14/16 Ben Brewer (carryover)

#2 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:22 pm

$20,000
A pianist inducted into the Louisiana Music Hall of Fame, which Marsalis family member is the father of the others?
+1
Ben’s +1 is his wife Kristen. Kristen thinks Ellis sounds like a jazz musician’s name.
Answer
Wynton and Branford are brothers. Dunno what lifelines I have left, but I know that 50/50 will leave Ellis and Jason. Try ATA.
$50,000
Though years ago it was translated into English as “Jesus,” the Biblical figure’s given name was a Hebrew version of what?
Answer
Ben wins $5,000.
Plus One. If I don't still have it, I walk.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:32 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Ben Brewer
Lancaster, Pa.

Ben wants to move back to Texas.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$20,000
+1
Answer
Wynton and Branford are brothers. Beyond that I don't have a clue. I don't know if the 50:50 will help but I'll use it, then ATA if necessary.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$30,000
According to a recent tally by British theater group Spymonkey, which of these causes of death occurs most frequently, by far, in the works of Shakespeare?
A: Poisoning B: Stabbing
C: Beheading D: Grief
50/50
50/50 leaves poisoning and stabbing.
Answer
B: Stabbing
Guessed right, thinking about Julius Caesar, Macbeth and the various historical plays.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50,000
Answer
Ben wins $5,000.
Technically it wasn't translated, it was transliterated from Greek. When the Hebrew Scriptures were translated into Greek (known as the Septuagint), Hebrew names were modified. Since Greek doesn't have a "sh" sound, it was replaced by "s", and since most Greek names end in "s", it replaced the vocalic ending. Thus "Joshua" becomes "Jesus". Similarly the name "Moses" comes from the Hebrew "Mosheh"
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

ghostjmf

#4 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:22 am

30K: Know rigged 50/50 will leave poison & stabbing. Try to count poisoning; 2 in Romeo & Juliet. 2 in Hamlet, 1 technically before play begins (Hamlet's father). Lots of stabbings in Hamlet too though. MacBeth. Julius Caesar. I guess I've talked myself into "stabbing".

50K: Yashua ben Jussuf. That would be Joshua in English.

ghostjmf

#5 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:43 am

Moses is pronounced "Moi'sheh" or "Moi'shee" but I'm not sure if the "Moi" is Hebrew & Yiddish or just Yiddish. Now that I think about it, probably just Yiddish. I need to look up Hebrew spelling.

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:12 am

ghostjmf wrote:Moses is pronounced "Moi'sheh" or "Moi'shee" but I'm not sure if the "Moi" is Hebrew & Yiddish or just Yiddish. Now that I think about it, probably just Yiddish. I need to look up Hebrew spelling.
It's mem-shin-he, with vowels cholem (long "o") and segol (short "e").

jarnon

#7 Post by jarnon » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:13 am

earendel wrote:Similarly the name "Moses" comes from the Hebrew "Mosheh"
I thought "Moses" comes from the Egyptian word for "son" (cf. Ramesses, "son of Ra"), his Egyptian adoptive mother named him, and "Mosheh" is the Hebraicized form of "Moses."
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:20 pm

jarnon wrote:
earendel wrote:Similarly the name "Moses" comes from the Hebrew "Mosheh"
I thought "Moses" comes from the Egyptian word for "son" (cf. Ramesses, "son of Ra"), his Egyptian adoptive mother named him, and "Mosheh" is the Hebraicized form of "Moses."
"Mose" is Egyptian for "born", as in Thutmose, "born of Thoth", or Ahmose, "born of the moon". By extension it could mean "son". Exodus provides a folk etymology for the name Moses, claiming that it was taken from a Hebrew verb translated "to draw out", because Moses was drawn out of the water by Pharaoh's daughter. Of course this makes little sense - an Egyptian princess would give a child an Egyptian name, which is why scholars look for an Egyptian derivation.

K.P.

#9 Post by K.P. » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:34 pm

ghostjmf wrote:30K: Know rigged 50/50 will leave poison & stabbing. Try to count poisoning; 2 in Romeo & Juliet. 2 in Hamlet, 1 technically before play begins (Hamlet's father). Lots of stabbings in Hamlet too though. MacBeth. Julius Caesar. I guess I've talked myself into "stabbing".
Wouldn't it be only one in R&J? Remember poison didn't kill Juliet. Unless there's another character I'm forgetting.

ghostjmf

#10 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:19 pm

OK, J takes sleeping "draught", Romeo thinks she's dead, oh hell am I remembering wrong? I thought they both eventually die from poison. As in too much sleeping draught.

K.P.

#11 Post by K.P. » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:34 pm

ghostjmf wrote:OK, J takes sleeping "draught", Romeo thinks she's dead, oh hell am I remembering wrong? I thought they both eventually die from poison. As in too much sleeping draught.
SPOILER ALERT (I've always wanted to do that for a Shakespeare spoiler):

Juliet fakes her death with an elixir that only puts her to sleep. Romeo is fooled and poisons himself with the real thing. Juliet wakes up, sees Romeo dead, and stabs herself.