Liquid diets suck

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
gsabc

Liquid diets suck

#1 Post by gsabc » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:33 am

Not so much that it's a liquid diet, but the clear liquid restriction is the killer. Broth, bouillon or consomme, as far as anything with protein in it, and of course they come with a ton of salt. Popsicles and Jell-O, but no red or purple (isn't "red" a Jell-O flavor?). I can drink coffee or tea without milk or cream.

The irony today is that our part of the building had a water heater go. There's no water pressure and therefore no water to make tea or coffee. I used ice cubes to dilute my clear chicken soup concentrate. At least I know that my kidneys are working well.

Two days of this? I'm gonna be gnawing on the furniture.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

ghostjmf

#2 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:53 am

Sheez, they only had me on that for about 12 hours I think. Except that time "didn't work completely", so next time I voluntarily did a 24-hour.

But 2 whole days? You having something tested that's not accessed rectally?

If you are having what I think you are, though, the "fun" part (Fleet 'oral enema' very very awful, 4 liter jug of "Golightly" or equivalent much less awful, but still not anything I would do unless threatened; take their advice with either stuff, & drink it iced so you taste it less) is yet to come.

gsabc

#3 Post by gsabc » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:00 pm

ghostjmf wrote:Sheez, they only had me on that for about 12 hours I think. Except that time "didn't work completely", so next time I voluntarily did a 24-hour.

But 2 whole days? You having something tested that's not accessed rectally?

If you are having what I think you are, though, the "fun" part (Fleet 'oral enema' very very awful, 4 liter jug of "Golightly" or equivalent much less awful, but still not anything I would do unless threatened; take their advice with either stuff, & drink it iced so you taste it less) is yet to come.
My previous was 24 hours, which also didn't work completely as you put it, so this time 48 hours. No enema (hope no one out there is eating lunch while reading this), but Dulcolax pills followed by Miralax in 64 oz. Crystal Light, same as before. Didn't have any real difficulties with that last time. It's just a very different prep than anyone else I've spoken with, so I question its efficacy.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

ksbirchtree

#4 Post by ksbirchtree » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:47 pm

My husband is going through this the end of next week. He has to do the clear liquids for 24 hours prior... thankfully not 48!!! But with his blood sugar being so completely out-of-whack, it's not going to be a fun day. :(
Live simply.... eat, sleep, quilt!

ghostjmf

#5 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:32 pm

Just for the record, they don't call the Fleet stuff "oral enema" for nuthin'. Basically, its supposed to have the same effect as an enema, except you drink the stuff not have it....oh you know. Frankly, as it tastes like concentrated Gatorade (which makes me want to throw up on its own; I'm sure the similarity is the concentration of necessary metabolic salts etc, but I was always sure there was something fishy about that stuff), I'd actually rather have had an enema the old fashioned way.

What you are having sounds more like the Golightly stuff. Less severe chemical but more volume of liquid intake; basically same effect.

I almost severely incapacitated myself the "24-hour liquid diet time" by making myself a nice huge kettle of chicken broth & drinking it all day. Turns out that too much liquid, even if it's delicious chicken soup, really can wash away those essential metabolic salts. Which I'd well known, but in the anticipation of horrors to come (which with the Golightly weren't quite as horrible as with the Fleet stuff) had forgotten.

(This was a WWTBAM Q once. Inspired by a marathoner who died, no doubt.)

Ritterskoop

#6 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:31 pm

On stuff that tastes so nasty, does it help to pinch your nose closed with one hand and drink with the other? I use that for bad-tasting cough medicine or Vicodin or whatever, and it help some. If you can't smell a thing, you can't taste it so much.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

dimmzy

#7 Post by dimmzy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:43 am

I went to my local Chinese restaurant and got won ton soup broth. For some reason, it always tastes better than cubed or canned broth ...

--dimmzy, who immediately put back the 5 pounds she lost

peacock2121

#8 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:06 am

My m-i-l did the 48 hour liquid diet. She avoided the 'all exits, no waiting' part of the 24 hours liquid diet. It was much more of a gentle clean out.

I will take the 24 hour one - I like to eat.