Transcript 04/21/08 Tim Saam

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 04/21/08 Tim Saam

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:36 pm

With guest host Billy Bush

Tim Saam
Charlotte, NC

Tim played football when he was at Butler University. Before each game he would bump chests and bang helmets with his teammates to get fired up.
Billy says if Tim makes it to $1K, he will bump chests with Tim.

$100 The famous warning “The British are coming!” is commonly associated with what event in U.S. history?
A. American Revolution
B. Civil Rights movement
C. Great Depression
D. Spice Girls reunion tour

$200 Which of these ballets traditionally features costumes that incorporate bird-like design elements?
A. Romeo and Juliet
B. Swan Lake
C. Cinderella
D. Sleeping Beauty

$300 “The N’s and T’s are simply done, when written down as ‘1,2,1” is a helpful way to remember the spelling of what place name?
A. Atlanta
B. Tennessee
C. Connecticut
D. Cincinnati

ATA
12% A. Atlanta
21% B. Tennessee
12% C. Connecticut
55% D. Cincinnati

$500 In the 1800s, a company known for its maps and atlases was born when William Rand went into business with whom?
A. James Gamble
B. Andrew McNally
C. David Abercrombie
D. Henry Wells

$1K By definition, a “towhead” has what distinguishing feature?
A. Large ears
B. Crooked teeth
C. Light-blond hair
D. Long beard

Tim and Billy bump chests.
Billy stumbles back, but doesn’t go down.
Billy says if Tim makes $25K, he’ll do it again.

$2K Often used to wrap sushi rolls, nori is a type of what?
A. Onion
B. Seaweed
C. Pepper
D. Radish

$4K Because he’s an expert, what famous director wrote the foreword to the 2007 book “How to Survive a Horror Movie”?
A. Robert Zemeckis
B. Oliver Stone
C. Garry Marshall
D. Wes Craven

$8K Which of these world capitals lies on the banks of the Tiber River?
A. Rome
B. Jerusalem
C. Madrid
D. Cairo

Tim doesn’t know where the Tiber River is, but hopes that the 50/50 will help him figure it out.

50/50 leaves A. Rome and D. Cairo.

Tiber doesn’t seem Italian to Tim, so he makes D. Cairo his final answer.
Tim leaves with $1K.

commercial break

Answers:
$100 A. American Revolution
$200 B. Swan Lake
$300 D. Cincinnati
$500 B. Andrew McNally
$1K C. Light-blond hair
$2K B. Seaweed
$4K D. Wes Craven
$8K A. Rome

gsabc

#2 Post by gsabc » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:48 pm

I think he must have forgotten his helmet at least once. Using the ATA for that question was inexcusable.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 04/21/08 Tim Saam

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:28 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Tim and Billy bump chests.
Billy stumbles back, but doesn’t go down.
Billy says if Tim makes $25K, he’ll do it again.
Billy has established his own style already!

Meredith never did the chest bump! :P

NellyLunatic1980

#4 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:54 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:With guest host Billy Bush
Oh, joy... another game show for Billy to ruin.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$300 “The N’s and T’s are simply done, when written down as ‘1,2,1” is a helpful way to remember the spelling of what place name?
A. Atlanta
B. Tennessee
C. Connecticut
D. Cincinnati
I had to stare at this question for a fairly long time before I got the answer. I've never heard of that mnemonic before.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K Which of these world capitals lies on the banks of the Tiber River?
A. Rome
B. Jerusalem
C. Madrid
D. Cairo

Tim doesn’t know where the Tiber River is, but hopes that the 50/50 will help him figure it out.

Tim leaves with $1K.
Wha?! I thought everybody knew that the Nile went through Cairo. *sigh...*

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:18 am

elwing thought he was trying too hard to be like Regis with his vocal mannerisms.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Tim Saam
Charlotte, NC

Tim played football when he was at Butler University. Before each game he would bump chests and bang helmets with his teammates to get fired up. Billy says if Tim makes it to $1K, he will bump chests with Tim.
I guess it wouldn't be appropriate to do a chest bump with Meredith. But it would be fun. :lol:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$300 “The N’s and T’s are simply done, when written down as ‘1,2,1” is a helpful way to remember the spelling of what place name?
A. Atlanta
B. Tennessee
C. Connecticut
D. Cincinnati

ATA
12% A. Atlanta
21% B. Tennessee
12% C. Connecticut
55% D. Cincinnati
It took me a little while to puzzle out what this was all about - who would bother to memorize something as convoluted as that when it would be easier just to remember how to spell the name?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K Which of these world capitals lies on the banks of the Tiber River?
A. Rome
B. Jerusalem
C. Madrid
D. Cairo

Tim leaves with $1K.
And Tiber seems Egyptian to Tim??? I avoided reading the spoiler thread, but definitely put this guy in the "geo-nitwit" category.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:25 am

earendel wrote:
elwing thought he was trying too hard to be like Regis with his vocal mannerisms.
I noticed that, too. He's been studying the videotapes! :lol:

tanstaafl2

#7 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:33 am

gsabc wrote:I think he must have forgotten his helmet at least once. Using the ATA for that question was inexcusable.
I agree that the use of the ATA there was pretty inexcusable. That said Iwas surprised at how poorly the audience did as well.

$300 “The N’s and T’s are simply done, when written down as ‘1,2,1” is a helpful way to remember the spelling of what place name?
A. Atlanta
B. Tennessee
C. Connecticut
D. Cincinnati

ATA
12% A. Atlanta
21% B. Tennessee
12% C. Connecticut
55% D. Cincinnati
Apparently nearly half the audience hasn't been wearing a helmet either. This was a surprisingly bad result. It just isn't that hard a Q!
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:14 am

tanstaafl2 wrote: I agree that the use of the ATA there was pretty inexcusable. That said Iwas surprised at how poorly the audience did as well.
I wonder if he gave the audience any more time to think about it than we saw on the tape, but I doubt it. That's not a mnemonic that terribly familiar, IMHO, so it could take some time to study the choices and figure out the pattern. For that portion of the audience that doesn't just go, "What?"

tanstaafl2

#9 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:20 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
tanstaafl2 wrote: I agree that the use of the ATA there was pretty inexcusable. That said Iwas surprised at how poorly the audience did as well.
I wonder if he gave the audience any more time to think about it than we saw on the tape, but I doubt it. That's not a mnemonic that terribly familiar, IMHO, so it could take some time to study the choices and figure out the pattern. For that portion of the audience that doesn't just go, "What?"
Good point. The audience has a time limit to deal with that the contestant does not. If he went right to the ATA they may have been caught unaware. That could have played a role.

They were probably stunned he even used an ATA and maybe some of the audience had the good sense to try to durst him...
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

#10 Post by etaoin22 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:20 pm

I like the mnemonic, although I have never heard of it.

I interpret it, though, mostly as that one can remember a number to associate with the spelling difficulties within the word. Here the number is

1-2-1

or

although it could be something else. I have occasionally misspelled,or started to misspell Cincinnati, with my saving being my recollection of the Roman story of (Lucius Quinctius) Cincinnatus,the one who went back to his plow.