For those not on Facebook

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
mrkelley23

For those not on Facebook

#1 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:36 pm

I don't think he stops by here much any more, but I know Calvinator would appreciate good thoughts and prayers sent his way. I can't say more than that without his permission, and he's got his plate full right now.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: For those not on Facebook

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:39 pm

I'm on Facebook but apparently I'm not connected to him, so I don't know what's going on. But this sounds grim. Sending thoughts in his direction, and hoping they help. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

mellytu74

#3 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:13 pm

Done - thanks, Mr. K

TheCalvinator24

#4 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:40 am

Mrs. Cal, Calvinatorette II, and I are at Children's Hospital Colorado in Aurora.

Calvinatorette III collapsed at school today. We original thought she had suffered a head trauma, but CT scans revealed it is an Arterial Venous Malformation. Daughter was
Care-flighted from Casper to Greeley, CO and then transported by ambulance. They couldn't fly into Denver because of the weather. Wife was able to fly and ride along. My 15 year old and I packed bags and hit the road in high winds.

Right now, we are awaiting brain surgery.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:28 am

TheCalvinator24 wrote:Mrs. Cal, Calvinatorette II, and I are at Children's Hospital Colorado in Aurora.

Calvinatorette III collapsed at school today. We original thought she had suffered a head trauma, but CT scans revealed it is an Arterial Venous Malformation. Daughter was
Care-flighted from Casper to Greeley, CO and then transported by ambulance. They couldn't fly into Denver because of the weather. Wife was able to fly and ride along. My 15 year old and I packed bags and hit the road in high winds.

Right now, we are awaiting brain surgery.
Best wishes to her for a complete recovery. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

ghostjmf

#6 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:13 am

So glad it *wasn't* head trauma, & is something they can fix. Best wishes that everything goes well & she is back in health very soon.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#7 Post by T_Bone0806 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:16 am

That's scary. Wishing only the best to you folks.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

silverscreenselect

#8 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:38 am

I'm sorry to hear about this. Best wishes go out to you and your family, Cal.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Vandal
Director of Promos

#9 Post by Vandal » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:14 am

Good vibes to your daughter and family.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

mrkelley23

#10 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:22 am

Thanks for taking the time to post, Cal. I hope I wasn't out of line. I know there are some caring people here who don't necessarily see FB.

Many recent events have found me closer to prayer than I have been in many moons. I will say a prayer for your daughter and your family. I hope for all good outcomes from this.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

TheCalvinator24

#11 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:12 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:Thanks for taking the time to post, Cal. I hope I wasn't out of line. I know there are some caring people here who don't necessarily see FB.

Many recent events have found me closer to prayer than I have been in many moons. I will say a prayer for your daughter and your family. I hope for all good outcomes from this.
Quite okay. I changed my privacy settings on FB for posts about Sarah to Public instead of Friends Only.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

a1mamacat

#12 Post by a1mamacat » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:22 pm

Many prayers from here for her Cal.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#13 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:44 pm

Sending all good thoughts and best wishes.

Hoping for good news.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

TheCalvinator24

#14 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:27 pm

For anyone interested in updates:

https://www.facebook.com/Love4SarahS/

ghostjmf

#15 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:40 pm

I don't know if I'm going to try to post on Calvinator's facebook account for his kid, I guess I should because he'd the one most in need of this advice now:

He says in one of his posts that Sarah was taken off the respirator & is OK without it, which is great, & that she's agitated, "which is to be expected".

Some links follow about a syndrome that develops in people in ICUs, generally those on respirators (i.e. tubes down their throats) & under sedation:

Generally, this syndrome is more likely in older people, &/or in people on ventilators for long periods of time, but it can happen to anyone, & they can't predict who. Once word of advice on how to potentially avoid or at least mitigate it is to have a family member/friend present at all times to assure the patient that the family member/friend is there & to remind them of what the reality of the situation is. Some sources advise family member/friend keeping a journal of comings-&-goings into the room so that when awake, the patient can compare notes as to what really happened & what was really part of a nightmare.

The links, taken from a letter I just wrote to a friend:

This is the most important one, because its a 1st-person account by a Canadian philosophy professor (who is referred to in many of the other articles), who can't be brushed aside because she isn't old & she is a respected professor, but you'll have to download it because its a download, not a link:

And what's worse, I can't seem to give it *as* a link, so you'll have to google

(cheryl misak + icu)

& pick the choice that says

ICU Psychosis and Patient Autonomy; Some Thoughts from the Inside
citeseerx.ist.psu.edu > viewdoc > download

Other papers: just cut & paste these links into your browser:

http://news.nationalpost.com/health/blo ... octors-icu

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi ... -danger-of

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/2 ... -c-u/?_r=0

The 1st article I found on the subject now cannot be gotten by its address for some reason, but *can* be gotten if you google

"John A Hartford" + nora + "postoperative confusion";

the article to click on is "Confused About Postoperative Confusion"

The most important parts of the articles that have "letters sections" are, in my opinion, the letters written in by people recounting their own experiences & saying "oh thank you for printing this; I thought it only happened to *me*"

The info I get from all these articles is they're not sure if the problem is caused by the sedatives used, the mysterious & scary things going on in the ICU, or both; I think its a combo of people going into & out of a sedated state with all these horrible (to them, while still sedated but somewhat conscious) things going on.

They can't predict who this will happen to, except that the older you are the more likely it is. Also, the longer you are sedated.

ICU personnel are in general very familiar with this phenomenon; medical people outside of that area of expertise seem totally unfamiliar with it, & evaluate the patient as though the patient came in to the hospital with this syndrome, not considering it was brought about by being heavily sedated & ventilated in the ICU.

TheCalvinator24

#16 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:06 am

Thanks for the resources, ghost.

I already had some familiarity with the experience with my dad a few times in the year or two before he passed.

ghostjmf

#17 Post by ghostjmf » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:26 am

I'm so glad you're not mad at me for posting the refs. I sure wish I'd had them before my brother's recent emergency surgeries. That you're assuring (per your blog) there is a 1-to-1 person attending Sarah in the ICU, & probably beyond, & that the hospital allows this, is the best thing you can do for her beyond the actual medical care.

Don't be surprised if she's very weak when she's finally off all machines & sedation, even at her young age, but her youth will definitely be working *for* her.

TheCalvinator24

#18 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:45 pm

calvinatorette III was released from the hospital today. She will come home tomorrow because Mrs. Cal didn't want to have to drive home from Denver in the dark.

Daughter will still need to have radio-surgery at some point in the near future to treat the AVM.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#19 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:51 pm

Yay! I hope this is indicative of a complete recovery.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

ghostjmf

#20 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:07 pm

This is terrific. Best wishes for the radio surgery to wipe out the AVM with time.

Bob Juch

#21 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:12 am

Good news!

You all might want to view this:

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

TheCalvinator24

#22 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:16 pm

Realized I never finished this story for folks on here.

When Calvinatorette III left the hospital the first time, they told us she might have permanent speech issues, and would not be able to retain new information going forward. A few months later, we took her back down to Aurora for targeted radiation on her brain because the malformation was in a tricky location for traditional surgery.

After that, and before her next scheduled checkup, she was referred to speech and occupational therapy. After one session, the therapists said she didn't need any more. Jumping ahead a few years, she wound up graduating as Valedictorian of her High School class (very small private school). She then completed an Associate's Degree in American Sign Language at the local community college.

Now, back to 2017. At her scheduled check-up, at first, the Neurosurgeon said everything looked fine, but after more detailed scans, they discovered an aneurysm where the AVM had been. They now concluded that the AVM hadn't ruptured, but that the aneurysm had bled out into the brain and had refilled in the meantime. Another surgery was scheduled. This time, they were going to do an embolization with a glue-like substance to choke off the aneurysm. The surgery was scheduled for 6 hours, and one of the surgeons was the Dr. who had developed the procedure. We were waiting in the hospital cafeteria, when we got a phone call after 2 hours telling us they were done, and that she was fine. When we met with the surgeons, they said, "When we got there, the aneurysm was just gone." The older surgeon (the one who pioneered the procedure) said, "It's a miracle."

Calvinatorette III is now 21 years old, living outside the home and holding down a job. She has a boyfriend and is thinking about doing an online program to get her 4-year degree in ASL so she can get certified as an Interpreter.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#23 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:26 pm

I have no idea why I haven't posted to you on this. All God's blessings for her and y'all.
Well, then

BackInTex

#24 Post by BackInTex » Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:47 pm

Wow. How I could I be completely unaware of this? Perhaps this during my 1 year absence?

I said a quick prayer about 7 or 8 posts into this thread, then realized it was all 6 1/2 years old. Then I see your update from today. Hallelujah for prayers answered retroactively.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#25 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:16 pm

I was still on fb in 2017, hope I did...
Well, then