Transcript 01/23/17 Dan Pawson (carryover contestant)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 01/23/17 Dan Pawson (carryover contestant)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:35 pm

Dan Pawson
Bay Ridge, NY

Dan still has his 50/50 and Plus One.

$10K Which of these pairs of classic female friends would be known as Cooper & Lodge if they went by their last names instead of their first?
A. Lucy & Ethel
B. Laverne & Shirley
C. Betty & Veronica
D. Ginger & Mary Ann

50/50
50/50 leaves
C. Betty & Veronica
D. Ginger & Mary Ann

Spoiler
C. Betty & Veronica
$20K Believed to be the only person in the world to have one, New York Times editor Will Shortz holds a bachelor’s degree in which of the following?
A. Xenobiology
B. Futurology
C. Cryptozoology
D. Enigmatology
Spoiler
D. Enigmatology
$30K What landmark has a small apartment at the top – recently opened to the public – where its designer would often entertain famous guests?
A. The Washington Monument
B. Big Ben
C. The Statue of Liberty
D. The Eiffel Tower

+1

Larissa says she has no actual knowledge of the correct answer, but
Spoiler
the Eiffel Tower
is her shot in the dark guess.
Spoiler
D. The Eiffel Tower
commercial break

$50K In a New Yorker article, Ernest Hemingway reveals to the writer that he once “lived with,” “slept with,” and “got drunk with” “a close friend,” who was a what?
A. Moose
B. Cobra
C. Bear
D. Tiger

Dan decides to walk.
Spoiler
C. Bear
Dan leaves with $30K.
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghostjmf

Re: Transcript 01/23/17 Dan Pawson (carryover contestant)

#2 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:37 pm

10K: Lucy used real name. 50/50. Would leave what contestant got, because is rigged. So +1

30K: have been in Liberty torch as child. No apartment. Even if there is apt in Wash monument, they wouldn't open to public. Think Eiffel. Go for it.

50K: ATA just for fun, but walk on this.
Last edited by ghostjmf on Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

K.P.

#3 Post by K.P. » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:13 am

ghostjmf wrote:10K: Lucy used real name. 50/50. Would leave what contestant got, because is rigged.
"You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means."

Rigging implies dishonesty of some sort. The 50-50 is predetermined to leave the most attractive wrong answer, and no bones are made about that.

ghostjmf

#4 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:06 am

Well, for a while they really did do it randomly, then went back to the rigged version. Calling it "50/50" implies a random result. They should just say "leaving best distractor".

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:11 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Dan Pawson
Bay Ridge, NY

Dan still has his 50/50 and Plus One.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$10K Which of these pairs of classic female friends would be known as Cooper & Lodge if they went by their last names instead of their first?
A. Lucy & Ethel
B. Laverne & Shirley
C. Betty & Veronica
D. Ginger & Mary Ann

50/50
50/50 leaves
C. Betty & Veronica
D. Ginger & Mary Ann
Spoiler
C. Betty & Veronica
A = Ricardo & Mertz, B = DeFazio & Feeney, D = Grant & Summers, but I'd have known this even without knowing the others.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$30K What landmark has a small apartment at the top – recently opened to the public – where its designer would often entertain famous guests?
A. The Washington Monument
B. Big Ben
C. The Statue of Liberty
D. The Eiffel Tower

+1

Larissa says she has no actual knowledge of the correct answer, but
Spoiler
the Eiffel Tower
is her shot in the dark guess.
Spoiler
D. The Eiffel Tower
Larissa is Larissa Kelly, another J! alum. I've been to the top of the Washington Monument so I know that's not it. Putting an apartment above clock works doesn't seem practical. I've been inside the Statue of Liberty and although I've been to Paris and seen the Eiffel Tower I didn't go up. By process of elimination it has to be D.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:, Ernest Hemingway reveals to the writer that he once “lived with,” “slept with,” and “got drunk with” “a close friend,” who was a what?
A. Moose
B. Cobra
C. Bear
D. Tiger

Dan decides to walk.
Spoiler
C. Bear
Dan leaves with $20K.
I can eliminate B and D since they are more Asian animals and I don't associate Hemingway with Asia. If I still have my 50:50 I'll use it here and hope that A and C aren't the remaining choices.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

triviawayne

#6 Post by triviawayne » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:03 am

ghostjmf wrote:Well, for a while they really did do it randomly, then went back to the rigged version. Calling it "50/50" implies a random result. They should just say "leaving best distractor".
Don't you know television lies to us all the time?

They do tell the contestants in preshow briefing about the predetermined 50/50.

triviawayne

#7 Post by triviawayne » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:08 am

knew all of these.

Could give all the last names for everyone except Betty and Veronica--which only left Betty and Veronica anyway.

I've seen the room in the Eiffel Tower (not in person).

I've heard the thing about Hemmingway before.

ghostjmf

#8 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:40 am

I know they tell the contestants about rigged 50/50. I just wish they'd tell the audience, & stop feining surprise when the 2 choices the contestant had already narrowed it down to are left.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#9 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:43 am

triviawayne wrote:knew all of these.

Could give all the last names for everyone except Betty and Veronica--which only left Betty and Veronica anyway.

Wasn't that apartment a plot point in Tomorrowland? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

triviawayne

#10 Post by triviawayne » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:55 am

Bob78164 wrote:
triviawayne wrote:knew all of these.

Wasn't that apartment a plot point in Tomorrowland? --Bob
I've never watched. I read an article about the room just before it opened I guess, saw pictures.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#11 Post by Estonut » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:33 am

ghostjmf wrote:I know they tell the contestants about rigged 50/50. I just wish they'd tell the audience, & stop feining surprise when the 2 choices the contestant had already narrowed it down to are left.
I was going to comment on this a while ago. This is how the 50/50 originally worked. The "most likely distractor" 50/50 has been of strategic use on occasion, where it leaves an answer that the contestant had ruled out. If such an answer remains, then it must be the correct one, as it is NOT the most likely distractor. This would never happen with the "non-rigged" 50/50.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

bazodee

#12 Post by bazodee » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:10 am

ghostjmf wrote:Well, for a while they really did do it randomly, then went back to the rigged version. Calling it "50/50" implies a random result. They should just say "leaving best distractor".
Disagree. Calling it 50/50 implies that you have a 50/50 chance because there's one correct answer and one incorrect answer. It is an accurate characterization.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#13 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:51 pm

Dunno what I have left. Let's say it's everything.

$10K Which of these pairs of classic female friends would be known as Cooper & Lodge if they went by their last names instead of their first?
A. Lucy & Ethel
B. Laverne & Shirley
C. Betty & Veronica
D. Ginger & Mary Ann

50/50
50/50 leaves
C. Betty & Veronica
D. Ginger & Mary Ann

Spoiler
C. Betty & Veronica
How fun! Let's see -- Lucy Ricardo and Ethel Mertz, Uh oh -- dunno Laverne and Shirley, OK, no problem, Betty Cooper and Veronica Lodge. Funny what you remember from your comic-reading days. Just for the record, Ginger Grant and Mary Ann Summers.
$50K In a New Yorker article, Ernest Hemingway reveals to the writer that he once “lived with,” “slept with,” and “got drunk with” “a close friend,” who was a what?
A. Moose
B. Cobra
C. Bear
D. Tiger

Dan decides to walk.
Spoiler
C. Bear
Dan leaves with $30K.
OK, moose and cobra are out. Try 50/50, see if it leaves bear and tiger. I think it's bear, but I dunno if I have the nerve to pull the trigger.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller