Transcript 1/25/17 Ruby Scott (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 1/25/17 Ruby Scott (carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:54 pm

Ruby Scott
Las Vegas, Nev.

Ruby wants a start a foundation to take inner-city kids on trips.

$10,000
Prior to the 2016 presidential election, Britain’s The Week noted the possibility that Melania Trump could become the only First Lady to have done what?
A: Been born in a foreign country B: Posed nude in a magazine
C: Had children with a previous husband D: Renounced her U.S. citizenship
Answer
B: Posed nude in a magazine
$20,000
What classic novel’s first line did Slate magazine represent with the following emojis: thumb up/wristwatch/thumb down/wristwatch?
A: A Tale of Two Cities B: Anna Karenina
C: The Old Man and the Sea D: Catcher in the Rye
ATA
A: 64% B: 8% C: 19% D: 9%
Answer
A: A Tale of Two Cities
$30,000
“Bean sidhe” in the native language, the “banshee” in the phrase “scream like a banshee” is an ominous figure in what country’s folklore?
A: Ireland B: Denmark
C: Sweden D: Iceland
+1
Ruby says “bean sidhe” sounds Gaelic. +1 Ellie doesn’t think so, so Ruby walks away.
Answer
A: Ireland
Ruby wins $20,000.
Commercial break

ghostjmf

Re: Transcript 1/25/17 Ruby Scott (carryover)

#2 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:27 pm

So far so good

jarnon

#3 Post by jarnon » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:14 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$10,000
Prior to the 2016 presidential election, Britain’s The Week noted the possibility that Melania Trump could become the only First Lady to have done what?
Answer
Louisa Adams was born in London, but her father was American. I once saw Melania's magazine picture online. Out of respect for the First Lady, I won't repost it.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#4 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:06 pm

Dunno what I have left. Let's say everything.
$10,000
Answer
50/50
$30,000
“Bean sidhe” in the native language, the “banshee” in the phrase “scream like a banshee” is an ominous figure in what country’s folklore?
+1
Ruby says “bean sidhe” sounds Gaelic. +1 Ellie doesn’t think so, so Ruby walks away.
Answer
Ruby wins $20,000.
She shoulda watched Darby O'Gill and the Little People. Well, maybe she wasn't born yet.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Estonut
Evil Genius

#5 Post by Estonut » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:07 am

SportsFan68 wrote:
$30,000
+1
Answer
Ruby wins $20,000.
She shoulda watched Darby O'Gill and the Little People. Well, maybe she wasn't born yet.
That excuse always irks me. Does that mean that no one is expected to know anything about history, art, music, TV, movies, etc. that happened before their birth? What about the years from birth to school age?

Youngsters today have all of it available to them, literally within seconds. Lame excuse.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

jarnon

#6 Post by jarnon » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:41 am

SportsFan68 wrote:
$30,000
+1
Answer
Ruby wins $20,000.
Fans of Supergirl know the villain Silver Banshee.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

ghostjmf

#7 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:58 am

I learned stuff I had no interest in growing up because it was happening around me. The internet is no better than a history book for imparting that stuff, just easier-access.

I learned to translate banshee from my interest in Irish trad music. Never saw Darby O'Gill.

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:37 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Ruby Scott
Las Vegas, Nev

Ruby wants a start a foundation to take inner-city kids on trips.
Nihil obstat®.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#9 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:50 pm

Estonut wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:
$30,000
+1
Answer
Ruby wins $20,000.
That excuse always irks me. Does that mean that no one is expected to know anything about history, art, music, TV, movies, etc. that happened before their birth? What about the years from birth to school age?

Youngsters today have all of it available to them, literally within seconds. Lame excuse.
I'll agree with you about history, art, music, and #1 television shows and Oscar-winning movies because they're in the realm of general knowledge. But Darby O'Gill and the Little People is just too obscure. That would be like expecting any of y'all to know anything about Bottle Shock, a movie I treasure but one I never hear mentioned outside my oenophile friends.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Estonut
Evil Genius

#10 Post by Estonut » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:36 am

SportsFan68 wrote:
Estonut wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:She shoulda watched Darby O'Gill and the Little People. Well, maybe she wasn't born yet.

I'll agree with you about history, art, music, and #1 television shows and Oscar-winning movies because they're in the realm of general knowledge. But Darby O'Gill and the Little People is just too obscure. That would be like expecting any of y'all to know anything about Bottle Shock, a movie I treasure but one I never hear mentioned outside my oenophile friends.
Darby O'Gill and the Little People is so obscure that most people who were alive when it was released don't know anything about it. How, then, does not being alive then excuse not knowing about it? Wouldn't it be the same as that for those who were?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

andrewjackson

#11 Post by andrewjackson » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:19 am

SportsFan68 wrote:
Estonut wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:She shoulda watched Darby O'Gill and the Little People. Well, maybe she wasn't born yet.

I may have negative knowledge about wine but Bottle Shock is a great movie. Very entertaining.
No matter where you go, there you are.

ghostjmf

#12 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:39 pm

If you were alive & of an age to be interested in an obscure movie when the movie was released, you had a chance to see it.

If you are alive & of an age to be interested in the movie 20 or 30 years later, its just 1 of thousands of obscure movies, some of them a lot more current, that you might be interested in enough to watch. It doesn't matter if you have access to the internet w/ gazillions of obscure movies to choose from; why would you choose that one, unless it was a parent's favorite, you read about it on this list, whatever.

Being alive in the era of the internet, or TNN (remember that) for that matter, doesn't automatically make you a maven of history, obscure movies, or anything else.

I was alive & of an age to interested in, say, The Love Boat when that show was current but as I wasn't interested in it, having lived in the era did me no good when a Q concerning that show & similar shows came up recently. I doubt someone younger would have known the answer because "they have the internet". Hey, I have the internet too; I just wouldn't have it on the show, since they ruled out PAF.

Recent players, by phone, on a show, "Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me" that offers no $$ have been hear to say to the MC, "just a minute I can't google that fast".

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#13 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:41 pm

Estonut wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:
Estonut wrote:That excuse always irks me. Does that mean that no one is expected to know anything about history, art, music, TV, movies, etc. that happened before their birth? What about the years from birth to school age?

Darby O'Gill and the Little People is so obscure that most people who were alive when it was released don't know anything about it. How, then, does not being alive then excuse not knowing about it? Wouldn't it be the same as that for those who were?
No. I remember it because I saw it. That banshee scared the heebiejeebies outta me.