Transcript 04/22/2008 Lisa Sedlak (carryover contestant)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 04/22/2008 Lisa Sedlak (carryover contestant)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:48 pm

With guest host Billy Bush

Lisa Sedlak
Tempe, AZ

came straight for Vegas and was dressed for Vegas. Likes to go "clubbing" with her mom, as her mom gets her in to clubs for free.

All lifelines remain

$2000- Who starred in the 2007 blockbuster that was released in Spain as "El ultamatum de Bourne"?
A. Matt Damon B. Nicolas Cage
C. Johnny Depp D. Bruce Willis
$4000- By definition, the adverb "whence" means what?
A. Toward where B. Near where
C. Only where D. From where

$8000- At the Wimbledon tennis tournament, spectators traditionally snack on what signature treat?
A. Cherries jubilee B. Strawberries and cream
C. Lemon trifle D. Bread pudding

Lisa says she admires and likes Meredith, and was hoping to meet Mere. Billy is nice but not Meredith. Billy later says he's got a thick skin.

$16,000
In 2006, Ehud Olmert became the prime minister of what Middle Eastern country?
A. Israel B. Jordan
C. Lebanon D. Syria

ATA A- 51% B- 16% C- 19% D-14%

Billy says he knows the answer. Would they like to switch seats?

$25,000
Famous for their collaborations on modernist architecture and furniture design, Charles and Ray Evans were related how?
A. Father and son B. Brother and sister
C. Husband and wife D. Cousins

PAF her husband Art believes it is C.

50/50
B. Brother and sister
C. Husband and wife

Commercial break

$50,000
The most recent major ice age ended at the close of the Pleistocene Epoch, approximately how many years ago?
A. 10,000 B. 100,000
C. 1,000,000 D. 10,000,000

STQ (says she would have guessed C)

STQ $50K
Originally discovered inside a meteorite, moissanite is a mineral commonly synthesized in order to make what?
A. Bowling balls B. Glowsticks
C. Charcoal briquettes D. Gemstones

Lisa reacts as soon as question is read before the choices. She knows the answer and when Billy asks why, says 'cause she is a girl and knows girl stuff.

$100,000
Which of these countries is not intersected by the equator, the Tropic of Cancer, or the Tropic of Capricorn?
A. Egypt B. The Bahamas
C. South Africa D. Venezuela

She decides to gamble on C and leaves with $25,000.

Answers:
$2000- A. Matt Damon
$4000- D. From where
$8000- B. Strawberries and cream
$16K- A. Israel
$25K- C. Husband and wife
First $50K- A. 10,000
Second $50K- D. Gemstones
$100K- D. Venezuela

Commercial break

gsabc

#2 Post by gsabc » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:54 pm

What a shame. She was doing so well, too.

Would have needed PAF for the $25K myself. NFC on it. Wouldn't have needed STQ on the first $50K, but would probably have used it on the $100K. I need to study my latitudes for countries.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 04/22/2008 Lisa Sedlak (carryover contestant)

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:57 am

$4K: Not that familiar with the word "whence". ATA.

$25K: Leaning toward husband/wife, but I better PAF to make sure.

$50K: Got this one right.

$50K #2: Didn't need this question, but I also would've gotten this one without a lifeline.

$100K: Considering that Venezuela was very close to, but not on the Equator, there was no way that it could be intersected by the Tropic of Cancer either. So I now have $100K and two lifelines at hand.

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:53 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:With guest host Billy Bush

Lisa Sedlak
Tempe, AZ

came straight for Vegas and was dressed for Vegas. Likes to go "clubbing" with her mom, as her mom gets her in to clubs for free.
It sounded to me as if Lisa said something about dressing differently once she knew Billy was the host. She was certainly showing some cleavage.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4000- By definition, the adverb "whence" means what?
"I will lift mine eyes up unto the hills from whence cometh my help" is the King James Version of Psalm 121:1. It's punctuated as a declarative statement when it should be a question (as it is translated in most modern English versions). And the "from" is redundant.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000
In 2006, Ehud Olmert became the prime minister of what Middle Eastern country?
A. Israel B. Jordan
C. Lebanon D. Syria

ATA A- 51% B- 16% C- 19% D-14%

Billy says he knows the answer. Would they like to switch seats?
This shouldn't have required a lifeline.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000
Famous for their collaborations on modernist architecture and furniture design, Charles and Ray Evans were related how?
A. Father and son B. Brother and sister
C. Husband and wife D. Cousins

PAF her husband Art believes it is C.

50/50
B. Brother and sister
C. Husband and wife
This one really threw me - I'd have used ATA but I have a feeling that it wouldn't have been very helpful. Had I used the 50/50 I'd have been hosed because I was expecting the answer to be either A or D. So I'd end up expending my last lifeline and PAF. Turns out that Ray is the wife, and her full name is "Ray-Bernice Alexandra Kaiser Eames".
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50,000
The most recent major ice age ended at the close of the Pleistocene Epoch, approximately how many years ago?
A. 10,000 B. 100,000
C. 1,000,000 D. 10,000,000

STQ (says she would have guessed C)
One of my "guilty pleasure" reads is the series by Jane Auel, so I knew this answer.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:STQ $50K
Originally discovered inside a meteorite, moissanite is a mineral commonly synthesized in order to make what?
A. Bowling balls B. Glowsticks
C. Charcoal briquettes D. Gemstones

Lisa reacts as soon as question is read before the choices. She knows the answer and when Billy asks why, says 'cause she is a girl and knows girl stuff.
I wouldn't have seen this question, but had it been in the original stack I'd have used my STQ because "I'm a guy and I don't know girl stuff."
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100,000
Which of these countries is not intersected by the equator, the Tropic of Cancer, or the Tropic of Capricorn?
A. Egypt B. The Bahamas

Nice to see that she was willing to go for it; a shame that it didn't work out for her. And I wouldn't call her a "geo-nitwit" for not knowing this; it's hard to visualize but South Africa (and the continent in general) is farther north than many think.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:53 am

$100K: I knew this was Venezuela since I lived there, but was surprised to see that South Africa hit the Tropic of Capricorn when I checked.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:09 am

earendel wrote:
A. Egypt B. The Bahamas

Nice to see that she was willing to go for it; a shame that it didn't work out for her. And I wouldn't call her a "geo-nitwit" for not knowing this; it's hard to visualize but South Africa (and the continent in general) is farther north than many think.
This was really pretty wicked, as far as geography questions go. I recall a question on primetime WWTBAM that just asked about the Tropic of Cancer; Sudan was the country it didn't pass through (passing just a little across the border in Egypt). This question asks about three different lines and for each of the choices, the relevant line just barely passes through it (or barely misses, in Venezuela's case). It's only easy if you have a map in front of you.

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:12 am

Bob Juch wrote:$100K: I knew this was Venezuela since I lived there
Perhaps you could save time by listing the places where you haven't lived. :)

Appa23

#8 Post by Appa23 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:24 am

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4000- By definition, the adverb "whence" means what?
"I will lift mine eyes up unto the hills from whence cometh my help" is the King James Version of Psalm 121:1. It's punctuated as a declarative statement when it should be a question (as it is translated in most modern English versions). And the "from" is redundant.
The source of a great lyric from Casting Crown's great song, "Praise You In This Storm":

I lift my eyes onto the hills
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth

tanstaafl2

#9 Post by tanstaafl2 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:06 am

earendel wrote:
A. Egypt B. The Bahamas

No, I wouldn't either. Although knowing that North Africa is as far north as it is (Casablanca is about the same latitude as Atlanta for example) and that the equator runs below the approximate center of the continent and etirely below West Africe helps to keep that in perspective. A tough geography question with a reasonably appropriate level of difficulty. Having been reading and looking at maps for my trip to Zambia and Botswana I knew it wasn't South Africa although it is close. I always have a hard time remembering if the Bahamas extends far enough south but knowing the Tropic of Cancer is just north of Cuba made it seem likely that it crossed it. Egypt is tough as well as it just catches it in the South. As noted Venezuela is close to the equator but doesn't cross it and made this the answer since it was well south of the Tropic.

Good Q.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh