And The Losers Are ... PriceWaterhouseCoopers

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Brit Canuck

And The Losers Are ... PriceWaterhouseCoopers

#1 Post by Brit Canuck » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:15 pm

The Associated Press is reporting that the tweeting accountant from PwC who handed out the wrong envelope at the Oscars on Sunday night has reportedly been banned from future Oscars participation - and may have also damaged the career of the fellow accountant who was working with him.

Brian Cullinan was identified on Tuesday as the PwC accountant who made a number of tweets (which he since deleted) while working backstage during the ceremony.

Martha L. Ruiz, the accountant who was working with him, was also similarly disciplined (unfair, I think).

Brian Cullinan, the PwC representative responsible for handing over the errant envelope that led to 'La La Land' mistakenly being announced as Best Picture rather than 'Moonlight', was distracted backstage. He tweeted (and later deleted) a photo of Emma Stone in the wings with her new Oscar minutes before giving presenters Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway the wrong envelope for Best Picture. Cullinan and his colleague, Martha Ruiz, have been permanently removed from all film academy dealings... - AP.

Estonut
Evil Genius

Re: And The Losers Are ... PriceWaterhouseCoopers

#2 Post by Estonut » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:20 pm

Brit Canuck wrote:The Associated Press is reporting that the tweeting accountant from PwC who handed out the wrong envelope at the Oscars on Sunday night has reportedly been banned from future Oscars participation - and may have also damaged the career of the fellow accountant who was working with him.

Brian Cullinan was identified on Tuesday as the PwC accountant who made a number of tweets (which he since deleted) while working backstage during the ceremony.

Martha L. Ruiz, the accountant who was working with him, was also similarly disciplined (unfair, I think).

Brian Cullinan, the PwC representative responsible for handing over the errant envelope that led to 'La La Land' mistakenly being announced as Best Picture rather than 'Moonlight', was distracted backstage. He tweeted (and later deleted) a photo of Emma Stone in the wings with her new Oscar minutes before giving presenters Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway the wrong envelope for Best Picture. Cullinan and his colleague, Martha Ruiz, have been permanently removed from all film academy dealings... - AP.
Identified on Tuesday? He was identified moments after it happened!
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

BackInTex

#3 Post by BackInTex » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:22 pm

Not only was he a PwC partner, he is/was or soon to be was, ‎Chairman of PwC’s US Board and Managing Partner of PwC’s Southern California, Arizona & Nevada Market

So he was a big big fish in that big pond.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Ed McMahon
Merry Man

#4 Post by Ed McMahon » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:47 pm

Does this mean there will be a job opening? I've got plenty of experience in handing out envelopes... and my hermetically sealed mayonnaise jar is much more secure than some accountant's briefcase...
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's Johnny!

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:58 pm

Brit Canuck wrote:The Associated Press is reporting that the tweeting accountant from PwC who handed out the wrong envelope at the Oscars on Sunday night has reportedly been banned from future Oscars participation - and may have also damaged the career of the fellow accountant who was working with him.

I heard about this yesterday. My understanding is that Ruiz was disciplined (by the Academy) for not fixing the mistake fast enough. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#6 Post by Estonut » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:22 am

Bob78164 wrote:

I heard about this yesterday. My understanding is that Ruiz was disciplined (by the Academy) for not fixing the mistake fast enough.
Really? How does the Academy discipline someone who is not their employee? They have refused to accept her services in the future, but that's about all they can do. Any actual discipline would have to come from her employer, PwC.
Groucho Marx

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#7 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:29 am

Estonut wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

I heard about this yesterday. My understanding is that Ruiz was disciplined (by the Academy) for not fixing the mistake fast enough.
Really? How does the Academy discipline someone who is not their employee? They have refused to accept her services in the future, but that's about all they can do. Any actual discipline would have to come from her employer, PwC.
That's how. My understanding is that both Cullinan and Ruiz have been banned for life from the Awards. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#8 Post by Estonut » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:27 am

Bob78164 wrote: My understanding is that both Cullinan and Ruiz have been banned for life from the Awards.
No shit. That's in the OP.
Groucho Marx

silverscreenselect

#9 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:24 am

Estonut wrote: Really? How does the Academy discipline someone who is not their employee? They have refused to accept her services in the future, but that's about all they can do. Any actual discipline would have to come from her employer, PwC.
I would be surprised if they were both still working at PwC by next year's Oscars.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:46 am

Estonut wrote:
Bob78164 wrote: My understanding is that both Cullinan and Ruiz have been banned for life from the Awards.
Then why did you ask how the Academy could discipline them?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#11 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:53 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Estonut wrote:
I don't see anything in the original post about them being banned for life. --Bob

silverscreenselect

#12 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:59 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
Estonut wrote:No shit. That's in the OP.
I don't see anything in the original post about them being banned for life. --Bob
Actually, they're on double secret probation.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Estonut
Evil Genius

#13 Post by Estonut » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:25 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Estonut wrote:
Because they don't work for the Academy. The most they can do is reject their future services. It is up to PwC to do the disciplining.
Groucho Marx

Estonut
Evil Genius

#14 Post by Estonut » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:29 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
I don't see anything in the original post about them being banned for life.

Martha L. Ruiz, the accountant who was working with him, was also similarly disciplined...
I believe "future" is, in fact, longer than Cullinan's lifetime.
Groucho Marx

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#15 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:52 pm

Estonut wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
I don't see anything in the original post about them being banned for life.

Martha L. Ruiz, the accountant who was working with him, was also similarly disciplined...
I believe "future" is, in fact, longer than Cullinan's lifetime.
The language doesn't make clear whether they're banned from some future participation or all future participation, and "similarly" disciplined suggests differences between the two. My language removes those ambiguities.

If we're going to insist on picking a fight on pedantic issues. --Bob

Bob Juch

#16 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:45 pm

Estonut wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
Because they don't work for the Academy. The most they can do is reject their future services. It is up to PwC to do the disciplining.
I call that discipline.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#17 Post by Estonut » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:34 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Estonut wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:Then why did you ask how the Academy could discipline them?
I call that discipline.
I don't. The point of discipline is to correct undesirable behavior. I maintain that The Academy doesn't give a shit what happens to them, it just wants to never see them again. The discipline is left to their employer.
Groucho Marx

Estonut
Evil Genius

#18 Post by Estonut » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:46 am

Bob78164 wrote:The language doesn't make clear whether they're banned from some future participation or all future participation...
Yes, it was absolutely clear. The statement was, "has reportedly been banned from future Oscars participation." In the absence of qualifiers such as "some," "for the time being," "temporarily," "until further notice" or "for n years," the term "future Oscars participation" means "forever." Aren't lawyers supposed to understand how language works?
Bob78164 wrote:... and "similarly" disciplined suggests differences between the two.
Really? "Similarly" suggests similiarities between the two. Look it up.
Bob78164 wrote:If we're going to insist on picking a fight on pedantic issues.
This is a sentence fragment.
Groucho Marx