Recent Movie watchings

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
TheCalvinator24

Recent Movie watchings

#1 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:06 am

The Insider -- Very Good (an understated Al Pacino; I didn't think it possible)

Lost in Translation -- Not so good

Sideways -- Excellent (Paul Giamatti is one of my favorite actors)
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#2 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:26 am

Why didn't you like Lost in Translation? I really enjoyed this movie.

peacock2121

#3 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:48 am

I also enjoyed Lost in Translation.

TheCalvinator24

#4 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:56 am

Maybe I need to watch it again. It just didn't catch my interest. So much so that I spent the entire movie surfing the web.

I had the laptop open when I watched Sideways, too, but with that one, the movie distracted me from the internet
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

starfish1113

#5 Post by starfish1113 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:03 am

peacock2121 wrote:I also enjoyed Lost in Translation.
peacock2121 wrote:I like Hats Without Pants.
peacock2121 wrote:You have a good reason.
I do believe that Pea is flirting with PSM!!

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#6 Post by Rexer25 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:06 am

starfish1113 wrote:
The former t-girl is gonna be so mad...
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

peacock2121

#7 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:32 am

starfish1113 wrote:
LOL - the last one was actually a sideways nudge.

She wants me - I can feel it.

wbtravis007

#8 Post by wbtravis007 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:36 am

peacock2121 wrote:
starfish1113 wrote:

Maybe it's just a matter of you picking up on her admiration of you and her wish that she was more like you in one way or another.

I've heard about this.

Pea-ness envy.

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#9 Post by Rexer25 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:39 am

wbtravis007 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:
starfish1113 wrote: I do believe that Pea is flirting with PSM!!

Maybe it's just a matter of you picking up on her admiration of you and her wish that she was more like you in one way or another.

I've heard about this.

Pea-ness envy.
Col. Travis, that's one of your bests.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

peacock2121

#10 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:44 am

That was very funny.

In a punny sorta of way.

wbtravis007

#11 Post by wbtravis007 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:21 pm

Rexer25 wrote:
wbtravis007 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote: LOL - the last one was actually a sideways nudge.

I've heard about this.

Pea-ness envy.
Col. Travis, that's one of your bests.
Glad you liked it, Rexer. I didn't really set the punchline up very well at all, though.

Oh well. Too late now.

Sir_Galahad

#12 Post by Sir_Galahad » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:23 pm

OK. Recent viewings...

Bobby - One of those "Titanic" style movies where you know how it ends. I thought this was going to be a biopic... Wrongo! It was an "Earthquake" star-studded cast with plotlines mostly going nowhere. I wouldn't exactly call the ending "tieing up loose ends." Grade C

Friends With Money - I was waiting for the payoff at the end but didn't get one. Grade C

Babel - I enjoyed this one. It had the same flow, for me, as Crash. I also happen to think (and I am probably in the minority) that Brad Pitt is a good actor and not just beefcake. Grade B+

The Illusionist - I can't tell you why, but I loved this one. I thought Edward Norton and Paul Giammati were terrific. The pacing is a bit slow during the first half so if you are impatient for things to get moving, you'd better skip this one. Grade A

Elizabethtown - Not a bad chick flick. Grade B

I buy large lots of DVDs on Ebay and sell back the ones I don't want to keep for my own library. So, I watch all sorts of flicks. Movies I won't watch - Stupid teen movies; stupid adult movies (re: anything with Will Farrell, Adam Sandler or Martin Lawrence).
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

TheCalvinator24

#13 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:23 pm

Sir_Galahad wrote:OK. Recent viewings...

Bobby - One of those "Titanic" style movies where you know how it ends. I thought this was going to be a biopic... Wrongo! It was an "Earthquake" star-studded cast with plotlines mostly going nowhere. I wouldn't exactly call the ending "tieing up loose ends." Grade C

Friends With Money - I was waiting for the payoff at the end but didn't get one. Grade C

Babel - I enjoyed this one. It had the same flow, for me, as Crash. I also happen to think (and I am probably in the minority) that Brad Pitt is a good actor and not just beefcake. Grade B+

The Illusionist - I can't tell you why, but I loved this one. I thought Edward Norton and Paul Giammati were terrific. The pacing is a bit slow during the first half so if you are impatient for things to get moving, you'd better skip this one. Grade A

I buy large lots of DVDs on Ebay and sell back the ones I don't want to keep for my own library. So, I watch all sorts of flicks. Movies I won't watch - Stupid teen movies; stupid adult movies (re: anything with Will Farrell, Adam Sandler or Martin Lawrence).
I loved The Illusionist. Babel I thought was highly overrated. Crash was decent.

Sir_Galahad

#14 Post by Sir_Galahad » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:58 pm

TheCalvinator24 wrote:

I loved The Illusionist. Babel I thought was highly overrated. Crash was decent.
If you liked that one, try The Prestige. Just as good, IMO and quicker paced.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

TheCalvinator24

#15 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:25 pm

Sir_Galahad wrote:
TheCalvinator24 wrote:

If you liked that one, try The Prestige. Just as good, IMO and quicker paced.
I saw The Prestige within 2 days of seeing The Illusionist. I liked Giamatti & Norton better than Bale & Jackman.