RIP Joe Rogers, Sr.

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

RIP Joe Rogers, Sr.

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:18 pm

Co-founder of restaurant chain Waffle House. He founded the chain with his neighbor Tom Forkner (who is still alive at age 99) in 1955 because they decided that their Atlanta suburb of Avondale Estates needed a 24-hour restaurant. Rogers was active in the business up until a few years ago, and his son, Joe Rogers, Jr., is still the CEO. Rogers, Jr. is also a Georgia Tech alumnus who brought many Tech grads into the business over the years. The chain has units at nearly every expressway exit throughout the South and was popularized in the movie Tin Cup as a spot where the cast members would meet and talk.

Age 97

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/waffle-ho ... ZpKpvkauL/
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

BackInTex

Re: RIP Joe Rogers, Sr.

#2 Post by BackInTex » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:57 pm

Its been forever since I've eaten at a Waffle House. They built a new on near our church a couple years ago. It does a good business. I may take my son to one next week as it will be Spring Break and he and I are staying home while the girls all go to Colorado. He is going to Colorado with the school band the following week. Me, I just get to stay home to work and pay for everyone's travel/fun. :?
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Pastor Fireball

#3 Post by Pastor Fireball » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:47 pm

I just ate at a Waffle House a few days ago. They have a new sausage, egg, and cheese hashbrowns bowl on the menu. I had to get it. Delicious, just like everything else there.

Thanks for the food, Joe.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

themanintheseersuckersuit

#4 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:42 am

From Wiki
The Waffle House Index is an informal metric used by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to determine the effect of a storm and the likely scale of assistance required for disaster recovery.[1]The measure is based on the reputation of the Waffle House restaurant chain for staying open during extreme weather and for reopening quickly, albeit sometimes with a limited menu, after very severe weather events such as tornadoes or hurricanes. The term was coined by FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate in May 2011, following the 2011 Joplin tornado; the two Waffle House restaurants in Joplin remained open after the EF5 multiple-vortex tornado struck the city on May 22.[2][3] According to Fugate, "If you get there and the Waffle House is closed? That's really bad. That's when you go to work."[4]

The index has three levels, based on the extent of operations and service at the restaurant following a storm:[4][5]

Green: the restaurant is serving a full menu, indicating the restaurant has power and damage is limited.
Yellow: the restaurant is serving a limited menu, indicating there may be no power or only power from a generator or food supplies may be low.
Red: the restaurant is closed, indicating severe damage.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#5 Post by Estonut » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:22 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:From Wiki
The Waffle House Index is an informal metric used by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to determine the effect of a storm and the likely scale of assistance required for disaster recovery.[1]The measure is based on the reputation of the Waffle House restaurant chain for staying open during extreme weather and for reopening quickly, albeit sometimes with a limited menu, after very severe weather events such as tornadoes or hurricanes. The term was coined by FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate in May 2011, following the 2011 Joplin tornado; the two Waffle House restaurants in Joplin remained open after the EF5 multiple-vortex tornado struck the city on May 22.[2][3] According to Fugate, "If you get there and the Waffle House is closed? That's really bad. That's when you go to work."[4]

The index has three levels, based on the extent of operations and service at the restaurant following a storm:[4][5]Nice to see a Federal Agency using such cutting-edge technology.

Green: the restaurant is serving a full menu, indicating the restaurant has power and damage is limited.
Yellow: the restaurant is serving a limited menu, indicating there may be no power or only power from a generator or food supplies may be low.
Red: the restaurant is closed, indicating severe damage.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

silverscreenselect

Re: RIP Joe Rogers, Sr./Tom Forkner

#6 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:24 am

Tom Forkner, who co-founded Waffle House with Joe Rogers has died at age 98.

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/2nd-waffl ... yS4Q1lv2M/
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com