Just started writing a book

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
TheCalvinator24

Just started writing a book

#1 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:22 am

Literally about 15 minutes ago, I typed out the opening sentence of a novel. I have no idea where I'm headed with it, but I have the basic idea in my head.

Inspired by Sideways.

It will have nothing to do with wine, however.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

peacock2121

#2 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:33 am

So much BB success with books - give it a whirl!

TheCalvinator24

#3 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:34 am

Anybody interested in the first paragraph?
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

peacock2121

#4 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:35 am

I am.

TheCalvinator24

#5 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:38 am

It was bizarre to be dating again after fifteen years. Neil hadn't been out with anyone other than his wife, Susan, since they had gotten engaged right before they both graduated from college. The world had changed since 1993. Not only the dating world, but just about everything was different. Now, he was putting himself out there again, and he felt as awkward as he had when he was fifteen and first trying to figure out how to unclasp a bra.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#6 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:42 am

Well, you know, Miley Cyrus just announced that she is writing her autobiography. She's done a lot of important stuff in her 15 years on Earth.

Not.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gYLn ... AD9072LU00

BackInTex

#7 Post by BackInTex » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:50 am

TheCalvinator24 wrote:It was bizarre to be dating again after fifteen years. Neil hadn't been out with anyone other than his wife, Susan, since they had gotten engaged right before they both graduated from college. The world had changed since 1993. Not only the dating world, but just about everything was different. Now, he was putting himself out there again, and he felt as awkward as he had when he was fifteen and first trying to figure out how to unclasp a bra.
O.K. I'm ready for the next paragraph. Got me hooked already.

So is Neil widowed, separated, or divorced? If b or c, is his wife still straight or is Neil in the same situation as Ross Geller?

Keep going and you just might inspire me to finally write the book I've been thinking about for the past 15 or so years. Its more in the Michael Crichton real life sci-fi genre.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

TheCalvinator24

#8 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:56 am

BackInTex wrote:
TheCalvinator24 wrote:It was bizarre to be dating again after fifteen years. Neil hadn't been out with anyone other than his wife, Susan, since they had gotten engaged right before they both graduated from college. The world had changed since 1993. Not only the dating world, but just about everything was different. Now, he was putting himself out there again, and he felt as awkward as he had when he was fifteen and first trying to figure out how to unclasp a bra.
O.K. I'm ready for the next paragraph. Got me hooked already.

So is Neil widowed, separated, or divorced? If b or c, is his wife still straight or is Neil in the same situation as Ross Geller?

Keep going and you just might inspire me to finally write the book I've been thinking about for the past 15 or so years. Its more in the Michael Crichton real life sci-fi genre.
Thanks.

As for your question, the answer won't come until probably 2/3 to 3/4 of the way in.

Right now, I have absolutely no idea how this story end (or even most of the route to get there). I know what the story is about, but I haven't planned the details. because of that, the second paragraph might be a long time coming.

Bob Juch

#9 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:40 am

When I write an original script, I work everything out in my head then just write down what the voice in my head say.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

peacock2121

#10 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:41 am

I would read the next paragraph.

I would say unhook a bra - not unclasp - did you boys say unclasp?

TheCalvinator24

#11 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:03 pm

Bob Juch wrote:When I write an original script, I work everything out in my head then just write down what the voice in my head say.
I'm trying to formulate the whole thing. I may ever do some *gasp* pre-writing. I know the basic premise and a few of the forks I intend to take, but right now, I'm not sure how I want it to end.

TheCalvinator24

#12 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:04 pm

Second paragraph

He and Susan had never had children, so at least he didn't have to deal with the potential conflict that may have arisen between them and any woman who they might think was trying to replace their mom. Neil had wanted kids. Susan had not. Susan prevailed in that battle—one of many she had won over the years. She picked the neighborhood where they built their house, for which she chose the floor-plan. She always planned their vacations and told Neil where and when they would be going. When he wanted to buy a Jaguar, she vetoed the idea, so he wound up with the Honda. Neil has always given in. He figured Susan has earned it because she had worked two jobs to put him through Law School.

Appa23

#13 Post by Appa23 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:07 pm

Bob Juch wrote:When I write an original script, I work everything out in my head then just write down what the voice in my head say.
Which voice? :P

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#14 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:09 pm

TheCalvinator24 wrote: Now, he was putting himself out there again, and he felt as awkward as he had when he was fifteen and first trying to figure out how to unclasp a bra.
Napoleon Dynamite wrote: Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

This is interesting imagery.

I was thinking about my own relationship with my husband. After we got married, he pretty much stopped having to unclasp my bra, I do it for him.

I wonder if if he has lost his bra unclasping skills.

TheCalvinator24

#15 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:29 pm

Neil was driving a Jaguar now. Two days prior, he paid cash for a new Frost Blue XKR Convertible. Being a successful patent attorney had its benefits. Avoiding traffic was not one of them. He was stuck on the parking lot that is Central Expressway just the same as the seventeen million (give or take) other cars around him. The wonderful aroma of the new leather seats hit his nostrils as he glanced at the digital clock.

Bob Juch

#16 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:05 pm

Appa23 wrote:
Which voice? :P
Sorry, typo; I meant voices.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#17 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:08 pm

TheCalvinator24 wrote:Second paragraph

He and Susan had never had children, so at least he didn't have to deal with the potential conflict that may have arisen between them and any woman who they might think was trying to replace their mom. Neil had wanted kids. Susan had not. Susan prevailed in that battle—one of many she had won over the years. She picked the neighborhood where they built their house, for which she chose the floor-plan. She always planned their vacations and told Neil where and when they would be going. When he wanted to buy a Jaguar, she vetoed the idea, so he wound up with the Honda. Neil has always given in. He figured Susan has earned it because she had worked two jobs to put him through Law School.
You're giving too much information too soon. Make the reader interested so s/he wants to know more about Neil instead of dumping it all out at the start.

wintergreen48

#18 Post by wintergreen48 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:50 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
I was thinking about my own relationship with my husband. After we got married, he pretty much stopped having to unclasp my bra, I do it for him.

No: you never lose any of your key life skills.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#19 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:45 pm

wintergreen48 wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:

No: you never lose any of your key life skills.
I am just going to have to find out for myself.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#20 Post by T_Bone0806 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:35 pm

Good luck and happy creating!
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

peacock2121

#21 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:48 am

I am still interested in reading.

You may lose me if he keeps being painted as a wimp.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#22 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:02 am

Will there be any pictures in this book?

".......and where is the use of a book, thought Alice, without pictures or conversations?"
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

TheCalvinator24

#23 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:35 pm

I've written about 1300 words so far.

After 2 more women told me that the word should be "unhook," I changed it. I've already done some editing, which is unusual for me. In the past, when I wrote something (usually assignments for some class), once I got it down, I rarely changed it. I would proof-read for spelling and grammar, but almost never changed anything else.

I have no idea if this will turn out to be any good. I think I have a decent writing style, but I don't know if I can maintain an interesting story.